The Student Room Group

Am i doomed?

I'm certain i have an anxiety disorder i havent diagnosed anything officially but everything lines up and ive had it for as long as i can remember since i looked into it just that its gotten worse and worse in the past few months and its spiraled into other mental illness like its a gateway. ive tried to make steps to sort it out but nothing has changed and everyone around me is blind to it and i just feel like im wasting becuase i cant do anything bcuase everything gives me too much anxitety so i avoid it, all ive ever done is go to school and have 2 jobs both at wich i got bullied i have nothing what am i supposed to do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm certain i have an anxiety disorder i havent diagnosed anything officially but everything lines up and ive had it for as long as i can remember since i looked into it just that its gotten worse and worse in the past few months and its spiraled into other mental illness like its a gateway. ive tried to make steps to sort it out but nothing has changed and everyone around me is blind to it and i just feel like im wasting becuase i cant do anything bcuase everything gives me too much anxitety so i avoid it, all ive ever done is go to school and have 2 jobs both at wich i got bullied i have nothing what am i supposed to do?

Seek help, speak to people close to you and also your GP. Things wont get better if you hide them. You would be shocked at how many people who feel a lot better just by talking.

Take care,

Greg
Reply 2
Original post by greg tony
Seek help, speak to people close to you and also your GP. Things wont get better if you hide them. You would be shocked at how many people who feel a lot better just by talking.

Take care,

Greg

i understand all of this, i dont have a gp wich means ill have to go and sign in to one and i want help and i know how to get it but its so impossible to do anything, even when theres something i want to talk about ill just go over it in my head again and again and never work up the courage to say it regardless if its for help or not, how do you change that?
Reply 3
i understand all of this, i dont have a gp wich means ill have to go and sign in to one and i want help and i know how to get it but its so impossible to do anything, even when theres something i want to talk about ill just go over it in my head again and again and never work up the courage to say it regardless if its for help or not, how do you change that?

You need professional help with this (what you are saying is common enough in my line of work, i work in CAMHS), most services are through your GP depending on your age. If you struggle to say what you need to those around you or GP, write it down and share this with someone close (they can help support you for appts). Dont rely on being able to speak in the moment.

Greg
Reply 4
Original post by greg tony
You need professional help with this (what you are saying is common enough in my line of work, i work in CAMHS), most services are through your GP depending on your age. If you struggle to say what you need to those around you or GP, write it down and share this with someone close (they can help support you for appts). Dont rely on being able to speak in the moment.

Greg

yes i know this but i also know that i probably wont just do it, i just have no motivationg despite how much i want to get the help and theres no easy way to go about getting it or letting someone know, anxiety gives me such a mental block to anything espescially if its social

Hello! Reading the previous threads on this, I have gathered that you may have social anxiety and that is effecting you reaching out to help (the main problem) I totally get this, in fact I struggled with that problem myself.
small steps will help you to gain confidence to reach out into larger. I understand this is very hard.

for instance, how do you feel about texting rather than a phone call? If you find texting a lot easier then there is a service called shout. You can also remain anonymous.

anxiety is dreadful. It has prevented me from many things. But has also given me a unique insight that has blossomed into beautiful friendships and traits people commend me for :smile:

bullying especially knocks self-confidence and is a huge factor in social anxiety.
when we first feel upset, down, and that goes untreated it can become co-morbid with other similar mental illnesses, such as depression as they share similar traits. There is help, and you are not doomed. I understand how hard it is for you.

small steps to build your confidence, accommodate, find ways. Then work yourself up from the GP. A big help for me was my gp operated online. I was too anxious for phone calls and avoided them all costs. Luckily the online service helped a lot more as I could stay at home and not physically talk.

take time and build yourself up, one step at a time
Reply 6
Hello! Reading the previous threads on this, I have gathered that you may have social anxiety and that is effecting you reaching out to help (the main problem) I totally get this, in fact I struggled with that problem myself.
small steps will help you to gain confidence to reach out into larger. I understand this is very hard.

for instance, how do you feel about texting rather than a phone call? If you find texting a lot easier then there is a service called shout. You can also remain anonymous.

anxiety is dreadful. It has prevented me from many things. But has also given me a unique insight that has blossomed into beautiful friendships and traits people commend me for :smile:

bullying especially knocks self-confidence and is a huge factor in social anxiety.
when we first feel upset, down, and that goes untreated it can become co-morbid with other similar mental illnesses, such as depression as they share similar traits. There is help, and you are not doomed. I understand how hard it is for you.

small steps to build your confidence, accommodate, find ways. Then work yourself up from the GP. A big help for me was my gp operated online. I was too anxious for phone calls and avoided them all costs. Luckily the online service helped a lot more as I could stay at home and not physically talk.

take time and build yourself up, one step at a time

i am similar to you like this, i have lost so much time not doing things i really want to becuase of how in the way anxiety gets. I also hate doing phone calls, i tried to sign with a gp online there is one about 10 doors down from my house that ive been meaning to walk into for a few months now since that one cant be registerd online, i suppose if the proccess can begin online then i might sign into one a little further away for that instead.
i am similar to you like this, i have lost so much time not doing things i really want to becuase of how in the way anxiety gets. I also hate doing phone calls, i tried to sign with a gp online there is one about 10 doors down from my house that ive been meaning to walk into for a few months now since that one cant be registerd online, i suppose if the proccess can begin online then i might sign into one a little further away for that instead.

I understand, truly. And when I get angry at my anxiety. I think how it is a mental illness, classified as one for a reason. The more you regret, the more anxiety consumes. That’s one thing it feeds from. Truly, social anxiety especially is a very hard bubble. When I make phone calls, I script what I’ll say beforehand so it is easier.
Is there anyone you could confide in who could walk to the doctors with you? How would that make you feel if someone was with you? Similarly a parent asking for you, as I have done beforehand due to not wanting to speak much. They can also sit in the room with you upon request.
Please, be gentle with yourself. This struggle promotes empathy with others as it gives you a chance to uniquely understand one another.
Within weaknesses, come strengths.
I’m still finding my way, it is very hard. However, when I’m able to focus in a positive way, it does help.
If that’s too big of a step, small steps that can build up to the big ones. For instance, you posting here is a massive step. You realising your behaviour is another massive step. Truly.
Reply 8
I think you have done fair enough ..
Reply 9
I understand, truly. And when I get angry at my anxiety. I think how it is a mental illness, classified as one for a reason. The more you regret, the more anxiety consumes. That’s one thing it feeds from. Truly, social anxiety especially is a very hard bubble. When I make phone calls, I script what I’ll say beforehand so it is easier.
Is there anyone you could confide in who could walk to the doctors with you? How would that make you feel if someone was with you? Similarly a parent asking for you, as I have done beforehand due to not wanting to speak much. They can also sit in the room with you upon request.
Please, be gentle with yourself. This struggle promotes empathy with others as it gives you a chance to uniquely understand one another.
Within weaknesses, come strengths.
I’m still finding my way, it is very hard. However, when I’m able to focus in a positive way, it does help.
If that’s too big of a step, small steps that can build up to the big ones. For instance, you posting here is a massive step. You realising your behaviour is another massive step. Truly.

yeah it would be nice to talk to somone that can make a change but no matter how much i want to i wont and no one that can help knows about this
I'll try to keep this short, but I have social anxiety and went through something similar about a year and a half ago. The biggest piece of advice I can give at this point is to write everything down. however illegible or stringed together it is, just write it. have a small notebook or diary with you and a pen, and write anything that you wish you could say out loud or just feel like you can't. It's better than keeping all your thoughts in your head as they start to pile up and become very heavy on you. As for the walk, see if you can email them first and ask if you can pop in but explain your circumstances a little. The email will hopefully give you the confidence to go in, as you don't have to explain as much face to face when you first walk in.
if they don't have an email, go into the building you mentioned and say that you'd like to talk to someone about your symptoms of anxiety and you need guidance. Let them ask the questions to explain further and hopefully they come naturally to you - and if they don't then that's hopefully a sign to whoever is at the desk that that is something you need to speak with someone about (that's what happened to me). Treat it like a small amount of exposure therapy.

I wish you all the best , I truly do. getting help seems like a hard and daunting boundary to cross, but once you've mad that first step everything will hopefully be so much easier. just don't let your anxiety pile up too much longer like I let it do to me.
Reply 11

go to your gp!! I recently found out I have anxiety and that was after a panic attack due to the build-up of stress. It definitely helped me and I was trialed on medication which really seems to be helping me right now. you're not alone and I'm sorry you feel like that.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous #1

ive finnally signed with a gp nearby through the internet , however things are still getting worse, more of my friends are having realtionships and im still very alone and i might be made redundant from my job soon. why is everything so difficult

Quick Reply

Latest