The Student Room Group

Maths gap year applicant advice

I'm taking a gap year after deferring my entry to Warwick and will apply to Cambridge next year. I'm wondering on how I should alter my personal statement compared to the first time, what do I do differently? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Original post by eprod14
I'm taking a gap year after deferring my entry to Warwick and will apply to Cambridge next year. I'm wondering on how I should alter my personal statement compared to the first time, what do I do differently? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

It depends. Have you done anything that constitutes a relevant supercurricular since writing your first PS that you can include and write about?
you can't reapply while holding a deferred offer, you will need to release it. Warwick should just give you another offer though I am unsure if this will be conditional on an entrance exam if you previously got in with the A*A*A + entrance exam option, you may want to ask and check.

I am assuming you got rejected post-interview? Did you request interview feedback?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by _gcx
you can't reapply while holding a deferred offer, you will need to release it. Warwick should just give you another offer though I am unsure if this will be conditional on an entrance exam if you previously got in with the A*A*A + entrance exam option, you may want to ask and check.

I am assuming you got rejected post-interview? Did you request interview feedback?

I didn't actually apply to Cambridge the first time round, I applied to Oxford and got rejected post interview.
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
It depends. Have you done anything that constitutes a relevant supercurricular since writing your first PS that you can include and write about?

Not really although I do have plans to do stuff next year e.g maths summer schools and tutoring
Original post by eprod14
I didn't actually apply to Cambridge the first time round, I applied to Oxford and got rejected post interview.

i don't think you really have to do anything meaningfully different next round then. Did you take STEP this year? (obvs too late but I often recommend that to inform reapplication plans)
Reply 6
Original post by eprod14
Not really although I do have plans to do stuff next year e.g maths summer schools and tutoring

You'll need to sit STEP and show you are keeping your Maths going.

Which summer schools are you considering? Tutoring won't really help ..
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
i don't think you really have to do anything meaningfully different next round then. Did you take STEP this year? (obvs too late but I often recommend that to inform reapplication plans)

I did take step this year yep
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
You'll need to sit STEP and show you are keeping your Maths going.

Which summer schools are you considering? Tutoring won't really help ..

There are a few in the US like the Ross Mathematics Program and PROMYS, apart from that I don't know how much me saying I worked through a real analysis textbook and doing online courses will help
Original post by eprod14
I did take step this year yep

great. won't be a direct help, but if you do decently that'll be a solid indicator that reapplying is worthwhile. (if people are getting 1s then that's great) and it means you already have experience with grappling with the real deal of STEP so are ahead of the curve in that sense too.

I suppose since you had a deferred offer anyway it makes no difference, (won't effect whether you take a year out) but should be a confidence boost at the very least.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by eprod14
There are a few in the US like the Ross Mathematics Program and PROMYS, apart from that I don't know how much me saying I worked through a real analysis textbook and doing online courses will help

Have you done UKMT challemges or their summer school?

You may need to do STEP again ...
Reply 11

i know ill most likely have to do step again yeah. Apart from doing BMO and the Maclaurin olympiad (with their respective pre requisite challenges) I haven't.

i had just assumed they knew this (Cambridge wants fresh STEP results) but reasonable shout if not. since they haven't missed a Cambridge offer it should just be for 1, 1 (or the 1 in either paper contextual) as it would have been had they applied this year.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by _gcx
i had just assumed they knew this (Cambridge wants fresh STEP results) but reasonable shout if not.

People do assume they only need to take it once ...
People do assume they only need to take it once ...

true
Reply 15
Original post by _gcx
i had just assumed they knew this (Cambridge wants fresh STEP results) but reasonable shout if not. since they haven't missed a Cambridge offer it should just be for 1, 1 (or the 1 in either paper contextual) as it would have been had they applied this year.

Do you know if you can hold a (deferred( UCAS offer while still applying afresh in UCAS? I have a vague memory that you had to withdraw from UCAS before starting a fresh application. But I may have misremembered and/or that may now be out of date.
Original post by RichE
Do you know if you can hold a (deferred( UCAS offer while still applying afresh in UCAS? I have a vague memory that you had to withdraw from UCAS before starting a fresh application. But I may have misremembered and/or that may now be out of date.

you can't, i pointed this out to the OP in post #3. I can't imagine that Warwick won't give them another offer though so it doesn't end up being a big deal for them
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by _gcx
you can't, i pointed this out to the OP in post #3. I can't imagine that Warwick won't give them another offer though so it doesn't end up being a big deal for them

Sorry - I didn't spot that.
Hi there,

My biggest advice for your personal statement is showing your passion. Whatever your subject you will need to show that you are truly interested in the subject - get some relevant experience or do some reading around it that you can talk about through your personal statement. Whatever qualities you want to talk about, show some evidence for it as well. Its all well and good to say that you're good at managing your time but how can you prove this?

I'm also not sure you can reapply while holding a deferred offer. You may need to decide whether you want to stick with Warwick or give it up to reapply. There is nothing stopping you from also reapplying to Warwick.

Good luck!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Quick Reply

Latest