The Student Room Group

Rebels capture Idlib city in Syria

A few days ago, the rebels in Syria formed a coalition of numerous groups and they went on an offensive to liberate Idlib city. The offensive was successful and they now claim to have liberated the whole city. It is estimated that 100,000 people live there and this is a huge victory for the rebels.

'If the insurgents seize Idlib, the capital of a northwestern province of the same name, the province would be the second after Raqqa to be fully under the control of rebels.'

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/28/us-mideast-crisis-idlib-idUSKBN0MO0C820150328

Here's the first reporter in Idlib after it's liberation (as he claims). He begins to break down with happiness and mentions he is back in Idlib after 4 years of fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=34&v=Gbs5ZzhCMYo

Scroll to see replies

I've been following the Syrian war pretty much since its start, and I was just about to make a thread on this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-32100644

They have not captured the entirety of Idlib province, but they have seized Idlib city which is the provincial capital. Most of Idlib province is in rebel hands, but there are still parts held by the government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:s-smilie:yrian_civil_war.png
(this is a pretty good map, Idlib is in the north west)

It's been captured by Islamist groups which includes Jabhat Al Nusra, which is basically the Syrian branch of Al Qaeda.
(edited 9 years ago)
Are we still classing them as rebels? I thought that was back in 2013 when we were still laughing at notions that the opposition was comprised mostly of brutal, extremist groups?
It has been captured by Jahbat al-Nusra, Harakat Ahrar al-Sham al-Islamiyyah, Junud al-Aqsa, Liwa al-Haqq, Ajnaad al-Shaam, Faylaaq al-Shaam, Suqur al-Ghab and Jaysh al-Sunnah (So a mix of hardcore jihadis, more moderate Islamists and FSA). From what i could tell they are operating under (not sure if all of them) a unified army called Jaysh al-Fath. I believe they plan to keep operating as a unified group.

To be honest i don't believe that the Assadis fought very hard to keep it (and point of note Hezbollah did not have a presence there)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
It has been captured by Jahbat al-Nusra, Harakat Ahrar al-Sham al-Islamiyyah, Junud al-Aqsa, Liwa al-Haqq, Ajnaad al-Shaam, Faylaaq al-Shaam, Suqur al-Ghab and Jaysh al-Sunnah (So a mix of hardcore jihadis, more moderate Islamists and FSA). From what i could tell they are operating under (not sure if all of them) a unified army called Jaysh al-Fath. I believe they plan to keep operating as a unified group.

To be honest i don't believe that the Assadis fought very hard to keep it (and point of note Hezbollah did not have a presence there)

Looks like Jaysh al fath are living up to their name. :smile:

To summarise, they've nearly liberated the whole of Idlib governorate and in the past few days have liberated Jisr al shoqur (sp?) and Al Qarmeed camp.
Original post by Untitled.
Looks like Jaysh al fath are living up to their name. :smile:

To summarise, they've nearly liberated the whole of Idlib governorate and in the past few days have liberated Jisr al shoqur (sp?) and Al Qarmeed camp.

Yes, in the coming days it is clear that they will try and cut of the supply line to ariha and move on mastouma then take the rest of Sahl al Ghab. After that i would assume the choice is between the North hama plain and western Aleppo, for them to move on to Ladhiqiyyah would be suicide.
Reply 6
How are they rebels? Seriously I thought it became public they were Al Qaeda *cough cough* I mean their new name 'ISIS' last year.
Original post by SeaPony
How are they rebels? Seriously I thought it became public they were Al Qaeda *cough cough* I mean their new name 'ISIS' last year.

Among the rebels there is Jahbat al-Nusra, A predominantly Syrian organisation who's leadership had pledged allegiance to Ayman al-Dhawaahiri, the leader of al-Qai'da.

Jahbat al-Nusra are in conflict with the group known as "ISIS" everywhere in syria (apart from maybe Eastern Qalamoun and in Yarmouk camp (emphasis on maybe)).

Jahbat al-Nusra was involved in the offensive in the province of Idlib with a host of other rebel groups (I have named a few in a previous post).

The group known as "ISIS" has not link with al-Qa'ida and in fact a number of them consider al-Qa'ida as apostates.

The group known as "ISIS" does not have any presence in Idlib province. The closest they are is in the neighboring Aleppo province in which they are in active conflict with Jahbat al-Nusra and the other rebel groups.

These are (as far as i am aware) the facts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
You are seriously telling me ISIS is fighting the Assad government alongside these so called rebels? These rebel groups are defecting to ISIS thousands at a time. They were terrorist groups when this whole thing started.
Original post by SeaPony
You are seriously telling me ISIS is fighting the Assad government alongside these so called rebels? .

No. I am telling you that the group known as "ISIS" is fighting (nearly) everyone in Syria who is not them, including nearly every faction of the rebels apart from some independent Jihadist battalions who have not put themselves in a position to fight/or be fought by them.

These rebel groups are defecting to ISIS thousands at a time. They were terrorist groups when this whole thing started

If you say so.

Ahh GlobalResearch.ca the resource for conspiracy nuts. Bringing us

"The 9/11 Attacks, 'Keeping the Lid on the Lie': Media Response to the Growing Influence of the 9/11 Truth Movement"

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-911-attacks-keeping-the-lid-on-the-lie-media-response-to-the-growing-influence-of-the-911-truth-movement/5373217

"The Vaccine Coverup: 30 Years of Secret Official Transcripts Show UK Government Cover Up Vaccine Hazards 'To Sell More Vaccines And Harm Your Kids'

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-vaccine-coverup-30-years-of-secret-official-transcripts-show-uk-government-experts-cover-up-vaccine-hazards-to-sell-more-vaccines-and-harm-your-kids/5354241

Genocide denial: "Was Srebrenica a Hoax? Eye-Witness Account of a Former United Nations Military Observer in Bosnia

http://www.globalresearch.ca/was-srebrenica-a-hoax-eye-witness-account-of-a-former-united-nations-military-observer-in-bosnia/731

and a host of other fanciful tales.
Reply 12
So it actually happened but still you discredit facts by saying the site is questioning the official story?
Original post by SeaPony
So it actually happened but still you discredit facts by saying the site is questioning the official story?

This is, i think, the fourth time you have come out with such rubbish.

Firstly, you claimed al-Qa'ida and ISIS were the same thing and painted all the rebels as being ISIS.

Secondly, when i corrected you, you came out of something that i did not say and tried to attribute it to me.

Thirdly, your proof of a separate claim of yours was from disreputable source.

And now this.

It is quite clear than nothing will dissuade you from your narrative and you are not likely to understand any refutation i put forward. For these reasons, I don't intend to reply to you here any longer so as not to waste my time.
Reply 14

So much fragmentation, if they pulled together they would be a far more effective force.
Original post by whorace
So much fragmentation, if they pulled together they would be a far more effective force.

That's what they are doing. Different groups have made alliances with each other and worked together. Some analysts suggest that this co-operation is why they have recently started to gain territory from the government.

I was reading an article about this yesterday, but I can't find it right now.
Original post by RFowler
That's what they are doing. Different groups have made alliances with each other and worked together. Some analysts suggest that this co-operation is why they have recently started to gain territory from the government.

I was reading an article about this yesterday, but I can't find it right now.

Yes the Jaysh al Fatah model seems succesfull and the Southern Front seems succesful too. The unified ops room in Aleppo Jahbat al Shamiyyah didn't work so another ops room has been started now.

With the elimination of Harakat al Hazm and the SRF in the north by Jahbat al Nusra things seem to be going smoother but there needs to be more analysis on it.

The RCC seems to be the best hope for the rebels politically.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Yes the Jaysh al Fatah model seems succesfull and the Southern Front seems succesful too. The unified ops room in Aleppo Jahbat al Shamiyyah didn't work so another ops room has been started now.

With the elimination of Harakat al Hazm and the SRF in the north by Jahbat al Nusra things seem to be going smoother but there needs to be more analysis on it.

The RCC seems to be the best hope for the rebels politically.

Nothing to add, but some of your posts are amazingly informative and fantastic. Thanks!
Original post by samba
Nothing to add, but some of your posts are amazingly informative and fantastic. Thanks!

I try my best. Thanks, you're welcome.
Another Arab country in the ****ter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending