The Student Room Group

London is basically the best city in the UK

Scroll to see replies

London is very expensive. To get a decent house or flat, I need to pay tons of money in commuting costs :frown:

But it's livelier than my favourite Spanish city Figueres, though the latter is beautiful as well.
I've lived in London for 21 years and I'm now in my fifth year of studying in West Yorkshire. So I like to think I've experienced a bit of both worlds but in all honesty, London is my home and it always will be. I'm not saying that as a born-and-bred southerner but because I believe it is literally the best place in the UK and I can't imagine living anywhere else. London is full of arts, culture, entertainment and has some of the best shopping areas you will find in the UK. Not to mention that it's full of history and is home to centres at the forefront of Medicine, Engineering, technology, politics and business. Yes, you might argue that it is expensive and has some really dangerous areas (which I agree with) but growing up in London is an exciting and unforgettable experience that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Who needs the Peak District or the Yorkshire Dales when you have Regent's Park, Hyde Park and Green Park within walking distance of the most lively areas of London? The suburbs are also full of green spaces and I've spent many summer afternoons enjoying myself in those, so I don't think that's a reason to turn your nose up at London. I like to think that my life is so much better today because I grew up in London, and I hate to imagine what life would have been like if I'd lived anywhere north of the Midlands. :s-smilie: I'm doing my best to get a place to study in London next year so I can return home - that's how much I love the city.

While I did enjoy my first 2-3 years in West Yorkshire, nowadays everything has become extremely boring and repetitive. Everything (and I mean EVERY single event) I come across at university involves alcohol, and that is incredibly isolating for someone who doesn't drink. The only things I can spend my days doing here in Leeds are working in the library or watching films, which gets very boring. I can walk around all of Leeds city centre in 1 hour, but in London there is so much to explore and even after living there all my life, there are still areas I have never been to. It's a city that's always on the move and constantly changing with new infrastructure, entrepreneurial opportunities and even fame and fortune. On the other hand, northern cities have stagnated because there is no investment in local economy. Unemployment is high and (I'm sure) the proportion of people on benefits is much higher up north than in London. Lots of professions nowadays offer very few jobs outside London because the city is just so glamorous and irresistible. Obviously the housing crisis is a huge issue but that's only because there is next to nothing appealing about most other cities, except for some like Birmingham, Manchester or Leicester. The only reason I would consider moving to another city is if I can't afford a house in London, but as I already live there and my family are (I hope) never selling the house, I'm happy. :smile:

At least if I was in London, I wouldn't have to worry about being pressurised into drinking alcohol because the Asian communities are large enough to get involved with. Maybe it's because all my closest friends are in London but the fact is that I see them (on the occasional weekend trip home) more than I see my friends at uni because people here are so two-faced and stuck-up. In a massive student city like Leeds, alcohol means more to people than anything else whereas London is large enough for me to find non-alcohol events and religious gatherings which just don't exist here. London is truly multicultural because there are massive events happening to cater to every community and something different happening every day of the week, whereas Leeds is only multicultural because there's a bit of diversity in the people living here. When you have a population that's roughly 10% South Asian but NOTHING specific for South Asian people to enjoy, you end up making your own entertainment at home and becoming very distant from people because it's hard to cement friendships unless you drink alcohol. That never happens to me in London because there's so much else going on that I hardly care whether people are drinking or not. It's so easy to meet people from different backgrounds in London compared to being stuck in this rubbish student bubble in Leeds.

While the northern cities have their benefits (like being a lot cheaper and having more value for money), IMO those are far outweighed by the excitement of living in London and having the world on your doorstep. In London I would go through rain, snow and sleet to enjoy places like Borough Market, Green Street, Edgware Road, Southall Broadway, Shepherd's Bush, Oxford Street, Regent Street, Piccadilly Circus, Shaftesbury Avenue, Wembley, Neasden, Finchley, Stratford and Ilford - whereas in Leeds there is just no point going out even if it's a nice day. What is there to enjoy apart from a city centre full of generic shops and some big parks? In London I have the chance to chase some very lucrative opportunities that I just wouldn't find up north.

TBH I don't think you can form an impression of a city just by going past it on the train, but in this case you're not far off, OP. There's no ambition or passion in these northern cities, and the only reason I'm here is because I couldn't get a place at university in London. I'll be moving back home as soon as I'm done here because I'm fed up of Leeds. I reckon the only decent place to live in the north is Manchester - everywhere else is just dismal. :frown:
Original post by Quantex
Being more familiar with the Northern cities, what strikes me about London is how polluted, overcrowded and short of green space it is. It's an asthmatic's nightmare. If you like filth and concrete then London is the city for you.

I have to disagree. I live in central London and there are a lot of green spaces and parks around. For a city it's the greenest I've seen.

Overcrowded however, yes. Definitely.
Original post by asif007
I've lived in London for 21 years and I'm now in my fifth year of studying in West Yorkshire. So I like to think I've experienced a bit of both worlds but in all honesty, London is my home and it always will be. I'm not saying that as a born-and-bred southerner but because I believe it is literally the best place in the UK and I can't imagine living anywhere else. London is full of arts, culture, entertainment and has some of the best shopping areas you will find in the UK. Not to mention that it's full of history and is home to centres at the forefront of Medicine, Engineering, technology, politics and business. Yes, you might argue that it is expensive and has some really dangerous areas (which I agree with) but growing up in London is an exciting and unforgettable experience that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Who needs the Peak District or the Yorkshire Dales when you have Regent's Park, Hyde Park and Green Park within walking distance of the most lively areas of London? The suburbs are also full of green spaces and I've spent many summer afternoons enjoying myself in those, so I don't think that's a reason to turn your nose up at London. I like to think that my life is so much better today because I grew up in London, and I hate to imagine what life would have been like if I'd lived anywhere north of the Midlands. :s-smilie: I'm doing my best to get a place to study in London next year so I can return home - that's how much I love the city.

While I did enjoy my first 2-3 years in West Yorkshire, nowadays everything has become extremely boring and repetitive. Everything (and I mean EVERY single event) I come across at university involves alcohol, and that is incredibly isolating for someone who doesn't drink. The only things I can spend my days doing here in Leeds are working in the library or watching films, which gets very boring. I can walk around all of Leeds city centre in 1 hour, but in London there is so much to explore and even after living there all my life, there are still areas I have never been to. It's a city that's always on the move and constantly changing with new infrastructure, entrepreneurial opportunities and even fame and fortune. On the other hand, northern cities have stagnated because there is no investment in local economy. Unemployment is high and (I'm sure) the proportion of people on benefits is much higher up north than in London. Lots of professions nowadays offer very few jobs outside London because the city is just so glamorous and irresistible. Obviously the housing crisis is a huge issue but that's only because there is next to nothing appealing about most other cities, except for some like Birmingham, Manchester or Leicester. The only reason I would consider moving to another city is if I can't afford a house in London, but as I already live there and my family are (I hope) never selling the house, I'm happy. :smile:

At least if I was in London, I wouldn't have to worry about being pressurised into drinking alcohol because the Asian communities are large enough to get involved with. Maybe it's because all my closest friends are in London but the fact is that I see them (on the occasional weekend trip home) more than I see my friends at uni because people here are so two-faced and stuck-up. In a massive student city like Leeds, alcohol means more to people than anything else whereas London is large enough for me to find non-alcohol events and religious gatherings which just don't exist here. London is truly multicultural because there are massive events happening to cater to every community and something different happening every day of the week, whereas Leeds is only multicultural because there's a bit of diversity in the people living here. When you have a population that's roughly 10% South Asian but NOTHING specific for South Asian people to enjoy, you end up making your own entertainment at home and becoming very distant from people because it's hard to cement friendships unless you drink alcohol. That never happens to me in London because there's so much else going on that I hardly care whether people are drinking or not. It's so easy to meet people from different backgrounds in London compared to being stuck in this rubbish student bubble in Leeds.

While the northern cities have their benefits (like being a lot cheaper and having more value for money), IMO those are far outweighed by the excitement of living in London and having the world on your doorstep. In London I would go through rain, snow and sleet to enjoy places like Borough Market, Green Street, Edgware Road, Southall Broadway, Shepherd's Bush, Oxford Street, Regent Street, Piccadilly Circus, Shaftesbury Avenue, Wembley, Neasden, Finchley, Stratford and Ilford - whereas in Leeds there is just no point going out even if it's a nice day. What is there to enjoy apart from a city centre full of generic shops and some big parks? In London I have the chance to chase some very lucrative opportunities that I just wouldn't find up north.

TBH I don't think you can form an impression of a city just by going past it on the train, but in this case you're not far off, OP. There's no ambition or passion in these northern cities, and the only reason I'm here is because I couldn't get a place at university in London. I'll be moving back home as soon as I'm done here because I'm fed up of Leeds. I reckon the only decent place to live in the north is Manchester - everywhere else is just dismal. :frown:

You're full of double standards. Aren't Regent's Park, Hyde Park and Green Park just "some big parks" by your definition? Can you climb mountains, go mountain biking or explore caves in these here? Are they peaceful places? I don't think so.

You complain about benefits, government figures show a 3.2% rate in Yorkshire & the Humber as opposed to 2.6% in London, slightly more but not massively, and not that this really affects how nice the place is. What about the large numbers of homeless and beggars in the capital? Why do you not complain about those?

Sure, Leeds might not be Kensington & Chelsea, but in what sense are places like Ilford and Wembley any better? If all you want is a few dodgy takeaways and some chain stores like on any British high street you could go anywhere in the country.

Really, if you're bored in Yorkshire, try exploring some of these places. You won't be disappointed. :wink:
Reply 104
Yeah lol London lol.
I've never seen a post more full of double standards and bias before. And I've posted in the religion section before

Original post by asif007
I've lived in London for 21 years and I'm now in my fifth year of studying in West Yorkshire. So I like to think I've experienced a bit of both worlds but in all honesty, London is my home and it always will be. I'm not saying that as a born-and-bred southerner but because I believe it is literally the best place in the UK and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Yes you are. You 100% are saying that because you were born & raised in London. Everyone is biased towards their hometown because it's their home & it's what they know best. It's part of them & it's moulded them into the person they are today.

asif007
London is full of arts, culture, entertainment and has some of the best shopping areas you will find in the UK. Not to mention that it's full of history and is home to centres at the forefront of Medicine, Engineering, technology, politics and business.

So are most big cities. Leeds has the Royal Armouries, museum of Art, Trinity shopping centre, White Rose shopping centre, the famous market (largest indoor market in Europe), the oldest railway station in the world. Most large cities, regardless of where they're located, are steeped in history & heritage. It's how they became the big cities they are today.

asif007
Yes, you might argue that it is expensive and has some really dangerous areas (which I agree with) but growing up in London is an exciting and unforgettable experience that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Who needs the Peak District or the Yorkshire Dales when you have Regent's Park, Hyde Park and Green Park within walking distance of the most lively areas of London? The suburbs are also full of green spaces and I've spent many summer afternoons enjoying myself in those, so I don't think that's a reason to turn your nose up at London.

That could just as easily be flipped around. Who needs Regent's Park, Hyde Park & Green Park when you have the Peak District & Yorkshire Dales? Even been to Bolton Abbey in Ilkley? Absolutely gorgeous, stunning landscape. Landscape that goes on for more than a few miles like what your parks are limited to. Some people, like yourself, may love being in the most lively areas. Others don't & prefer to quiet and peaceful countryside. But Leeds has an incredible nightlife, and with the O2 Academy, Leeds Arena & West Yorkshire Playhouse, there's always loads of shows, plays & events to catch.

asif007
I like to think that my life is so much better today because I grew up in London, and I hate to imagine what life would have been like if I'd lived anywhere north of the Midlands. :s-smilie: I'm doing my best to get a place to study in London next year so I can return home - that's how much I love the city.

That's opinion. I think my life is so much better today because I grew up in Leeds. For starters, it hasn't given me that snobby sense of entitlement that seems typical of some Londoners. I'd hate to imagine what life would've been like living in London. This is an argument that works two ways, know what I mean? The exact reason you claim to not like the north can be said by me to dislike the South.

asif007
While I did enjoy my first 2-3 years in West Yorkshire, nowadays everything has become extremely boring and repetitive. Everything (and I mean EVERY single event) I come across at university involves alcohol, and that is incredibly isolating for someone who doesn't drink. The only things I can spend my days doing here in Leeds are working in the library or watching films, which gets very boring. I can walk around all of Leeds city centre in 1 hour, but in London there is so much to explore and even after living there all my life, there are still areas I have never been to.

That's an issue with the culture of the Uni, nothing to do with Leeds as a city. Branch out from the city centre, visit the Royal Armouries (still within walking distance of the centre), buses travel to Harewood House, Roundhay Park, Temple Newsam. The only reason you're bored and find it repetitive is because you are restricting yourself to the library or watching films.

asif007
It's a city that's always on the move and constantly changing with new infrastructure, entrepreneurial opportunities and even fame and fortune. On the other hand, northern cities have stagnated because there is no investment in local economy. Unemployment is high and (I'm sure) the proportion of people on benefits is much higher up north than in London. Lots of professions nowadays offer very few jobs outside London because the city is just so glamorous and irresistible. Obviously the housing crisis is a huge issue but that's only because there is next to nothing appealing about most other cities, except for some like Birmingham, Manchester or Leicester. The only reason I would consider moving to another city is if I can't afford a house in London, but as I already live there and my family are (I hope) never selling the house, I'm happy. :smile:

There's not a day that goes by where I don't see something new being built in Leeds. Trinity shopping centre & the Arena are two huge projects that have recently been completed. As someone above already pointed out, the benefits statistic is only marginal & even so it depends more on area than anything else. The Tour de Yorkshire began in Leeds. I went to the opening ceremony that day and it was rocking. It's all well & good to get a £50k job in London, but what's the point of earning that much if you have to pay a colossal amount out on a mortgage, or commute from so far away that it makes your working day 3 hours longer?

asif007
At least if I was in London, I wouldn't have to worry about being pressurised into drinking alcohol because the Asian communities are large enough to get involved with. Maybe it's because all my closest friends are in London but the fact is that I see them (on the occasional weekend trip home) more than I see my friends at uni because people here are so two-faced and stuck-up.

That's actually something Londoners are notorious for. Being rude, impolite & stuck-up (which is by all means true if some of the responses in this thread are anything to go by). And by the way, that again isn't representative of Leeds. That's just students being students. Leeds & West Yorkshire has a large Asian community, it makes up a considerable sum of the population & if you feel you can't get involved with Asian communities up here that's your problem, not the city's.

Should we forget about the Chelsea fans racism in Paris? They didn't exactly do the city of London a world of good, did they? Chelsea & Millwall have got big connections to Combat 18 & NF.

asif007
In a massive student city like Leeds, alcohol means more to people than anything else whereas London is large enough for me to find non-alcohol events and religious gatherings which just don't exist here. London is truly multicultural because there are massive events happening to cater to every community and something different happening every day of the week, whereas Leeds is only multicultural because there's a bit of diversity in the people living here. When you have a population that's roughly 10% South Asian but NOTHING specific for South Asian people to enjoy, you end up making your own entertainment at home and becoming very distant from people because it's hard to cement friendships unless you drink alcohol. That never happens to me in London because there's so much else going on that I hardly care whether people are drinking or not. It's so easy to meet people from different backgrounds in London compared to being stuck in this rubbish student bubble in Leeds.

As I've already said, that's just students being students. You'll find alcohol to be an annoyingly popular part of the student lifestyle. Which, again, is nationwide & not just restricted to the north. Religous gathering do exist, you're just not looking for them. Harehills & Chapeltown are Asian dominated areas. Unfortunately you'll have to make the effort to go to them, they won't be right on your doorstep like in London. I could go down to London & stay holed up in a flat and complain the city isn't inclusive and welcoming too.

asif007

You literally said a few minuted before you typed that, that London has 3 parks & that's fine for you. See where the double standards begin to creep in? I would go through rain, snowand sleet to enjoy places like Elland Road, Roundhay Park, Harewood House etc. All your doing is naming streets in London which you'd enjoy, how is that even a valid argument? To say you'd rather walk down a road in London instead of Leeds.

asif007

That is YOUR problem and not an issue with the North. There's plenty of ambition and passion but you're choosing to ignore. Go to Elland Road on a saturday afternoon and tell me there's a lack of passion. Go the trinity in the city centre and tell me there's a lack of ambition. You can't. It's fine to prefer London over Leeds, but your reasons were just not true at all, and didn't give a fair representation of the glorious city of Leeds; a proud city, with proud history & proud people. Like anywhere, the place you live is what you make of it, and it seems to me you've chosen not to make the most of Leeds.

Edit: Congratulations to anyone who actually reads through all that, I wouldn't have
Original post by TornadoGR4
-

Well said, your post is spot on. :yy:
Original post by asif007

To be honest I don't blame you for saying what you've said. It will be quite difficult for pretty much anyone who's groern up in London for 21 years to adapt from London life to "northern life" anyway but that doesn't go to say that norhten cities are not any better.
Besides, London is the capital city and practically the financial capital of Europe! Surely is unfair to compare London to cities like leeds in the first place? Somewhere like New York would be a fairer comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jameswhughes
Are they peaceful places?

peaceful = boring
Original post by StrangeBanana
peaceful = boring

Oh, you'd be surprised... have a look at these photos :wink:

or this

and this

I think it might just beat going to KFC in Ilford (and you can do that up here too if you really want :lol:).
x

So you pretty much have nice views, and that's it.
So you pretty much have nice views.

That's it.

Well, there's been a huge amount of criticism on this thread over supposed lack of architecture, history, art and culture in the north of England, especially Yorkshire. I'm simply saying this isn't the case.
Well, there's been a huge amount of criticism on this thread over supposed lack of architecture, history, art and culture in the north of England, especially Yorkshire. I'm simply saying this isn't the case.

Eh? There have been plenty of people bashing London, as well.
Eh? There have been plenty of people bashing London, as well.

What point are you trying to make?

It's no surprise people are bashing London, given the amount of nonsense being spewed by those on here who think the world ends at the M25.
London is less like a city and more like it's own country I mean the population of London is about the same as the populations of Wales and Scotland combined.

For better or worse it is totally unlike any other city in Britain so doesn't really merit a fair comparison. When foreign friends say they are visiting London I tell them it is a great tourist destination but if they want to experience "real" Britain they should also look at destinations beyond it. I think it is fair to say that there is nothing else in Britain like London but whether it is the best or not is entirely down to personal taste.
What point are you trying to make?

It's no surprise people are bashing London, given the amount of nonsense being spewed by those on here who think the world ends at the M25.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I responded to your post suggesting London's parks were low-quality because they weren't "peaceful" with "peaceful = boring", and you reply with some crap about Yorkshire's architecture. :s-smilie:

Also, there has not been a "huge amount of criticism" of the North, get a grip. You can't seriously be trying to argue that Yorkshire is more exciting than the capital.
(edited 9 years ago)
Are you being deliberately obtuse? I responded to your post suggesting London's parks were low-quality because they weren't "peaceful" with "peaceful = boring", and you reply with some crap about Yorkshire's architecture. :s-smilie:

Also, there has not been a "huge amount of criticism" of the North, get a grip. You can't seriously be trying to argue that Yorkshire is more exciting than the capital.

I said peaceful referring to national parks, so when you said boring, I got the impression you were trying to say that everything up here is boring.

I don't deny that London is more exciting, I would agree that it is, however much of the criticism on this thread (go back and read some of the earlier posts) is largely unjustified.
I said peaceful referring to national parks, so when you said boring, I got the impression you were trying to say that everything up here is boring.

I don't deny that London is more exciting, I would agree that it is, however much of the criticism on this thread (go back and read some of the earlier posts) is largely unjustified.

Even if I had been saying that, how is architecture relevant? :confused:

Agreed
Even if I had been saying that, how is architecture relevant? :confused:

Agreed

Ok, now I know what you meant, my response wasn't really for what you said but towards the comments to which I had been replying earlier. :tongue:
Reply 119
I personally found Lincoln to be very attractive, I am from the south of the UK. Amenities are compact, but not too compact...

Quick Reply

Latest