The Student Room Group

need help with university choices

so basically I applied to do marketing at Brunel, queen Mary, royal Holloway, south bank, and uni of Westminster.

4 universities gave me conditional offers but Queen Mary declined me (my first choice).

so the university I end up choosing, I want it to be in central London because I love the area. I'm considering Westminister because of this but it's not very good in terms of prestige and league tables.

I really wanted to go to city universities CASS school which is very good and it's in central London. but their GCSE requirements are one grade higher for English and math than what I got.

I don't want to go to Brunel because it's too close to my house (I want to commute). royal Holloway is good but I don't like it's location. South bank is not that good in my eyes.

do you think city university will need more students in clearing? will they lower their GCSE requirements if they do clearing? I already emailed their admissions before I even sent my UCAS and they said I have to retake my GCSEs if I want to go to their university (which I'm not willing to do).

any general advice? any experiences at any of these universities?

thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by '_'
so basically I applied to do marketing at Brunel, queen Mary, royal Holloway, south bank, and uni of Westminster.

4 universities gave me conditional offers but Queen Mary declined me (my first choice).

so the university I end up choosing, I want it to be in central London because I love the area. I'm considering Westminister because of this but it's not very good in terms of prestige and league tables.

I really wanted to go to city universities CASS school which is very good and it's in central London. but their GCSE requirements are one grade higher for English and math than what I got.

I don't want to go to Brunel because it's too close to my house (I want to commute). royal Holloway is good but I don't like it's location. South bank is not that good in my eyes.

do you think city university will need more students in clearing? will they lower their GCSE requirements if they do clearing? I already emailed their admissions before I even sent my UCAS and they said I have to retake my GCSEs if I want to go to their university (which I'm not willing to do).

thank you!

Universities tend not to forego GCSE requirements but only the specific university can answer that and nobody knows what will be in clearing and how many spaces they will have spare. City having already told you suggests they wont do it.

Really only you can answer which other university is right for you as everyone's wishes are different.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Universities tend not to forego GCSE requirements but only the specific university can answer that and nobody knows what will be in clearing and how many spaces they will have spare. City having already told you suggests they wont do it.

Really only you can answer which other university is right for you as everyone's wishes are different.

true, thank you!
Original post by '_'
1) will they lower their GCSE requirements if they do clearing?

2) they said I have to retake my GCSEs if I want to go to their university (which I'm not willing to do).

1) No. GCSEs are about basic skills need to successfully complete the course, and are non-negotiable.
2) Then clearly you don't really want to go to that Uni that badly at all.
Original post by '_'

thank you!

Hey! If you're struggling with your choice because of your grades, you might be happy to know Surrey asks for a BBB at A-Levels with no specific subjects and a C at English and Maths GCSE (see full entry requirements here). What's better, Surrey recently ranked 8th in the UK for business and economics. I'm in second year of Business Management and I'm really enjoying it.

Surrey is 40ish minutes away from London by train, has a beautiful campus and more than 150 societies to choose from, so there's definitely one for you!

Hope that helped! If you have any questions, please ask.

Elena, Business Management Rep.
Reply 5
Original post by '_'
thank you!

Hey there! Im considering doing marketing at Westminster, what has it been like for you? Has the uni gotten better? Im seeing a lot of mixed oppinions on it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending