The Student Room Group

Student finance and/or NHS bursary?

I will be applying for student finance to fund my second year (commencing September 2015) at university studying a Medicine MB BS programme. I currently receive a Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant totalling £14,917 from Student Finance England (SFE). I also happen to be eligible for an NHS bursary. According to SFE, because of my eligibility for an NHS bursary I won't be able to get a Tuition Fee Loan.
However, I also have the option to declare to SFE that I am not eligible for an NHS bursary which will allow me to receive a Tuition Fee Loan.

According to the NHS Bursary Estimate Calculator, my bursary would roughly be around £5000 in total. Presently, I don't receive funding via NHS bursary.

Although the student finance loans and grants are perhaps only just enough for me to get by, I would like to know if I can maximise the funding I get: any money left over after making tuition fee / accommodation payments goes to my parents who are in quite a dire financial situation.

All in all, my query is this: should I apply for an NHS bursary in combination with student finance minus Tuition Fee Loan?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending