The Student Room Group

Cambridge Mathematics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by morgan8002
I applied for maths and physics, so Warwick don't require STEP for my course. It is my first choice and STEP might help in the event that I don't make my offer.

I do remember the questions, but I'm not sure if we're allowed to talk about them in detail. As I said, they are STEP questions so you might come across them by doing STEP papers. I'm not sure what you mean by you don't have any in your country. There was one on number theory, one on curve sketching and one on proof by infinite descent.

I've considered it, but I'd rather go to Warwick this year than wait a year and go to Cambridge. If I don't get into my choices this year I'll think about reapplying. I think chances of getting in as a year 14 are slim though.

Did Cambridge or Warwick look at your GCSE grades by any chance? What UMS did you get for your subjects?
Original post by Uba1dHoque
Did Cambridge or Warwick look at your GCSE grades by any chance? What UMS did you get for your subjects?

CGSEs don't matter very much for Cambridge, A-levels matter more. Warwick have very strict GCSE entry requirements and they are unwilling to budge on them, even for very good A-level/STEP results.

My UMS is on my profile.
CGSEs don't matter very much for Cambridge, A-levels matter more. Warwick have very strict GCSE entry requirements and they are unwilling to budge on them, even for very good A-level/STEP results.
My UMS is on my profile.

Warwick was my second choice ...and now I lost it ,since I don't have GCSE's(I'm international student).But I don't understand the reason why they count GCSE's that much since STEP,Alevels>GCSE???It just doesn't make sense to me....if you take good marks in STEP it means you would be a much better mathematician than others how just take good marks in GCSE's.That's so unfair ,in my opinion.
Reply 23
Original post by Vesniep
Warwick was my second choice ...and now I lost it ,since I don't have GCSE's(I'm international student).But I don't understand the reason why they count GCSE's that much since STEP,Alevels>GCSE???It just doesn't make sense to me....if you take good marks in STEP it means you would be a much better mathematician than others how just take good marks in GCSE's.That's so unfair ,in my opinion.

UK Universities won't in general expect GCSEs from non-UK students, but they will want some sort of equivalent from the student's home country. Don't you have some sort of school certificate that you sit at age 16 in your country?
Original post by davros
UK Universities won't in general expect GCSEs from non-UK students, but they will want some sort of equivalent from the student's home country. Don't you have some sort of school certificate that you sit at age 16 in your country?

No. We only give school exams at the end of each year. Only in year 13 we give final exams in 4-6 subjects(and it is considered as 3rd a level in many universities) and that is all.My educational backround is SO poor ...I had to study alone all the mathematics and physics needed for a levels,and in school we end up doing Religious subject and Ancient language about 10 hours a week(Perhaps you can study whatever you want in these hours, since nobody really cares.......such a misery!). Luckily, my first-choice university Cambridge does not care so much about Gcse's or something equivalent...I know it is really demanding university, but at least not unfair as far as I am concerned.
Reply 25
Self studying FP3 gave me two extra questions to answer in the entrance exam.
. . .

I think a good idea is to revise areas that aren't on A-level specifications, such as number theory and geometry as these can come up in both the entrance exam and interview.

Please forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but what is the entrance exam mentioned above? Is that different from the STEP exam? (mother of potential US applicant asking)
Original post by gsckmom
Please forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but what is the entrance exam mentioned above? Is that different from the STEP exam? (mother of potential US applicant asking)

Yes, it is different from STEP. I think it depends on the college you apply to, but at least for Churchill and Trinity you sit an hour long exam before the interview. I didn't find it very difficult, not much more difficult than A-level. It's much easier than STEP.
Check the website of the college(s) that your son/daughter is thinking of applying for.

So it goes:
apply
saq
exam
interview
offer
then take STEP and A-levels
Yes, it is different from STEP. I think it depends on the college you apply to, but at least for Churchill and Trinity you sit an hour long exam before the interview. I didn't find it very difficult, not much more difficult than A-level. It's much easier than STEP.
Check the website of the college(s) that your son/daughter is thinking of applying for.

In this 1 hour exam for Trinity, you choose some of the 10 questions ( the ones that attract you most) and in STEP too.So you have the freedom of choice.If you want to omit geometry and number theory questions you have the oppurtunity,I think. btw is there any book or resource you can use for this non-practical mathematics(geometry+number theory)?
Original post by Vesniep
In this 1 hour exam for Trinity, you choose some of the 10 questions ( the ones that attract you most) and in STEP too.So you have the freedom of choice.If you want to omit geometry and number theory questions you have the oppurtunity,I think. btw is there any book or resource you can use for this non-practical mathematics(geometry+number theory)?

Yes, you can choose which questions to answer in these exams(Churchill's is similar) and STEP. You can't do this in your interview though.

In the entrance exams and STEP, you can focus on areas of mathematics that you are good at(and enjoy) and those that make intuitive sense to you.
So in STEP, I tend to answer the questions on calculus, algebra, infinite series, sequences, functions, trig, differential equations(only STEP III), proof, mechanics and linear algebra(rarely comes up).
Even though these areas are some of my weaker ones, I have a look at the number theory and geometry ones because (especially in STEP I) they can be the easiest questions on the paper and can be solved using modular arithmetic or similar(number theory) or linear algebra(geometry) or even just thinking a bit, but if I don't see how to answer the question, I'll move on.
I always avoid statistics.

Sorry, I don't know of any.

Quick Reply

Latest