The Student Room Group

Family discourages me from seeing a GP and getting antidepressants......

Scroll to see replies

Only read page one.. there is some merit in what your parents say.

Its true that if you visit your GP and report depression or indeed any sickness be it physical or mental, then it is recorded. Think about your future employment and any circumstances where you may have to declare such illnesses or permit access to your medical records.

Clearly what is going on in your life is unhealthy and needs to be addressed and i think the first step starts with you,some internal conversation,quietening of the mind and some honesty.

You could also initially seek help from voluntary organisations,attend local self help groups and meetings. That way you could make a start on your recovery without it being officially stamped on you.
Original post by Anonymous
So, I'm over 18 and I don't need their permission but they totally put me off going through with my plans. I've been depressed for years, but now it's gotten to the point where I spend 2/3 of my time in bed. I used to think that the extreme fatigue and so on may be due to medical reasons but my blood tests turned out ok. Anyway, my family thinks that I'm just lazy, and that THIS would stay on my medical records forever etc. So I just don't know if it's worth it anymore, I don't want this on my records, etc.

Wow...your family are deluded. First of all, even if you were under 18, you could see your doctor without their permission and seek help anyway. Secondly, around 60% of GP appointments are due to depression, so you are not alone or unusual in desiring to seek support. (Indeed, when I did work experience with a General Practitioner, I saw about ten patients in the one afternoon getting reviews for emotional/psychological issues - it's a routine part of your doctor's job.) Thirdly, why would having depression on your medical records be a problem? Most people experience a mental health problem at some point in their lives, and your medical records are only available to doctors and nurses directly involved in your care. Depression is no embarrassment, and you're doing the right thing by wanting to see your doctor.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Limpopo
Only read page one.. there is some merit in what your parents say.

Its true that if you visit your GP and report depression or indeed any sickness be it physical or mental, then it is recorded. Think about your future employment and any circumstances where you may have to declare such illnesses or permit access to your medical records.

Clearly what is going on in your life is unhealthy and needs to be addressed and i think the first step starts with you,some internal conversation,quietening of the mind and some honesty.

You could also initially seek help from voluntary organisations,attend local self help groups and meetings. That way you could make a start on your recovery without it being officially stamped on you.

Your employer doesn't have access to your medical records...I don't know where on earth you got this from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Your employer doesn't have access to your medical records...I don't know where on earth you got this from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are in fact circumstances where employers may request access. You may deny them ,,for example in relation to HR,recruitment and occupational health issues.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2313.aspx?CategoryID=68
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Limpopo
There are in fact circumstances where employers may request access. You may deny them ,,for example in relation to HR,recruitment and occupational health issues.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2313.aspx?CategoryID=68

Okay, firstly, the NHS information refers to the issuing of medical reports, not permitting access to medical records. A medical report could be requested if you were an airline pilot, for example, to check your health to prevent an accident that might result from an incident such as a heart-attack or stroke. Other times, it might be because your job is physically strenuous and the employer wants to check that it's safe for you to carry out certain tasks. It's unlikely mental health would be included in the report, and as noted on the NHS page, you could request that your doctor removes this information from the report if it made you feel uncomfortable. I don't see how an employer could warrant asking a doctor if their worker had a history of depression, and it would violate the Equalities Act if they didn't give them the job based on this reason. Medical reports for jobs are so rare anyway. You should think twice about scaremongering this poor guy into not seeking help. If he goes to his GP, he can get his life sorted out. That's the most important thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for replies and suggestions, really appreciate them
#26 I am all for people getting help and i am not scaremongering. I feel the best way to start to obtain help is to recognise there is an issue,talk about it or seek advice and explore self help routes as an initial approach. No one else knows you better than you.

Now we may all con ourselves that we live in a nice touchy feely world with rose round the door but the truth is, its a dog eat dog world and one should think twice about disclosing mental health issues to work colleagues or employers. Of course you may have to disclose if you go off sick from work.
Original post by Limpopo
Now we may all con ourselves that we live in a nice touchy feely world with rose round the door but the truth is, its a dog eat dog world

one should think twice about disclosing mental health issues to work colleagues or employers.

That's completely different from telling your doctor about a problem. No company or occupation I have ever encountered would ask your doctor about your history of depression. Moreover, your doctor wouldn't disclose that information if you didn't agree. Additionally, loads of people suffer from depression...loads, and they don't get sacked from their jobs, in the same way that if I went to my doctor about an STI, or arthritis, or diabetes, it wouldn't mean I lose my career.

Oh, and it's illegal to discriminate against someone on grounds of their mental health. If the OP can do his job to the required standard, his depression is entirely irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
#29 I hear you and agree with you but the law and real life are two different things..

Picture this..a group of people are all equally qualified and applying for the same job.

One states on the application form with regard to health/time off sick etc that they had six months off in their previous job with depression and now take medication daily.

Who do you think wont get the job?
Original post by Limpopo
#29 I hear you and agree with you but the law and real life are two different things..

Picture this..a group of people are all equally qualified and applying for the same job.

One states on the application form with regard to health/time off sick etc that they had six months off in their previous job with depression and now take medication daily.

Wow...once again, this is nothing to do with the OP's problem. He's not going to take time off work; he's going to his GP for a bloody consultation! The last time I checked, you didn't have to publish doctor appointments you've had on your CV. Additionally, companies dislike taking anyone who has had time off sick, irrespective of whether it's a mental or physical health problem. Somehow I think your advice for the OP would be different if it was a physical issue about which he was concerned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It might be a good idea to first ask about some therapy, like CBT. They often try to offer you therapy before they give out meds anywah (depends on the type of GP you have). That way you might eradicate some of your ill-feeling without putting chemicals into your body. Try not to worry about your family, they don't need to know. X
So, I'm over 18 and I don't need their permission but they totally put me off going through with my plans. I've been depressed for years, but now it's gotten to the point where I spend 2/3 of my time in bed. I used to think that the extreme fatigue and so on may be due to medical reasons but my blood tests turned out ok. Anyway, my family thinks that I'm just lazy, and that THIS would stay on my medical records forever etc. So I just don't know if it's worth it anymore, I don't want this on my records, etc.

Your family don't have a clue what they're on about, and 'THIS' ignorance will stay on their records as parents forever.

Get yourself down there.
Original post by Limpopo

You don't state on the application form that you have had time off due to illness :confused: I am 24, have had loads of jobs and lots of time off due to various things. Most recently I had 6 months off due to spine surgery. When I applied for my new job I didn't need to state I had had time off I stated I was in employment...because I was...I was just off sick. When you fill in any form for a company outlining any illnesses etc, it's confidential and impartial, the same as when you tell them your race and religion.
(edited 9 years ago)
If op really feels he needs to see his GP then he should of course. I have certainly seen work application forms where they ask for details of time off in previous /current employment. I guess anyone in that position could just lie in the same way one might embellish a CV.
Wow...once again, this is nothing to do with the OP's problem. He's not going to take time off work; he's going to his GP for a bloody consultation! The last time I checked, you didn't have to publish doctor appointments you've had on your CV. Additionally, companies dislike taking anyone who has had time off sick, irrespective of whether it's a mental or physical health problem. Somehow I think your advice for the OP would be different if it was a physical issue about which he was concerned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it has nothing to do with the OPs dilemma and least not right now it doesnt. He should see his GP if he feels it absolutely necessary. I think it would be useful to consider self help therapies or talking therapies. Sometimes just having someone to talk to is a great help and takes the pressure off a bit. There may be local support groups.

It is certainly good to try and deal with these issues whilst they are small and manageable.

We know cloud cuckoo land exists where people have rights and everyone thoroughly understands mental health issues and empathises, there is no discrimination etc etc. In the real world, well it can be quite different.
Original post by Limpopo
I know it has nothing to do with the OPs dilemma and least not right now it doesnt. He should see his GP if he feels it absolutely necessary. I think it would be useful to consider self help therapies or talking therapies. Sometimes just having someone to talk to is a great help and takes the pressure off a bit. There may be local support groups.

It is certainly good to try and deal with these issues whilst they are small and manageable.

We know cloud cuckoo land exists where people have rights and everyone thoroughly understands mental health issues and empathises, there is no discrimination etc etc. In the real world, well it can be quite different.

No, he should see his GP even if he's unsure, not just if he feels it to be "absolutely necessary."

You're still missing the point, though. Going to his GP won't affect his work, at all. If everyone who went to their doctor with a mental health problem was kicked out of their job, then our workforce would be pretty empty. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, he should see his GP even if he's unsure, not just if he feels it to be "absolutely necessary."

You're still missing the point, though. Going to his GP won't affect his work, at all. If everyone who went to their doctor with a mental health problem was kicked out of their job, then our workforce would be pretty empty. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree,,going to his GP wont affect his work. Building up a longer term record of mental illness may affect his employability in future because people dont always stick to the rules regarding non discrimination.
I know what you mean - I'm not trying to play a doctor here but it just seems obvious to me. I can tell the difference in how I felt before, and how I feel now, there is no way that I could feel this way just because of laziness, and the blood tests ruled out the medical reasons like anemia etc.

Are you sure that employers do not have access to those records?

I used to be a very active person but stopped due to 'this', whatever it is. My only exercise is now walking my dog but even this seems too much sometimes. I have been taking most available supplements for months but it didn't help (apart from multiamino acids so might try them).

I'm quite paranoid about it to be honest. So is my family. Like, if you're once diagnosed with mental health issue, it can impact your life FOREVER. Even in the future, when you have kids and divorce, you might lose your rights to them just because you suffered from mental health issues.

Ten percent of people are diagnosed with depression at some point in their lives. Schizophrenia and Bipolar disorder can affect custody, treated depression won't.
Put it this way - a trip to the GP, and initiation of some kind of therapy if indicated won't of itself affect work etc. However, not seeking help, and potentially ending up in a crisis is going to affect your life so much more in so many ways.

Always see your GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mushi_master
Put it this way - a trip to the GP, and initiation of some kind of therapy if indicated won't of itself affect work etc. However, not seeking help, and potentially ending up in a crisis is going to affect your life so much more in so many ways.

Always see your GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I once went to my GP due to severe anxiety/stress/depression and after a while she just dismissed me saying i should think about tropps fighting in Iraq,,they are much worse off than I.

Quick Reply

Latest