The Student Room Group

Nursing without registration

I was wondering what happens if you pass the academic element of your course but not your placements. Are you still awarded a degree or are you only awarded a degree if you can also become registered/pass the practical side?
I'm not actually sure. Placements at our university don't count towards academic credits, but I'm not actually sure if you can still get BSc without the registration bit
you could get a bsc in a health/social care subject given to you instead but doubt that happens often
Original post by Marty'sCalvin's
I was wondering what happens if you pass the academic element of your course but not your placements. Are you still awarded a degree or are you only awarded a degree if you can also become registered/pass the practical side?

Hopefully your university wouldn't let you get that far. If you're not passing placements then it should be flagged up to put a plan in place to help you improve in order to pass subsequent placements. Unfortunately it does sometimes happen that students get passed along but then aren't a suitable standard to qualify at the end. You should still get a degree awarded, but the exact nature/title of your degree will depend on your university.
At my previous university you wouldn't get registration as you need a certain number of placement hours to register and need to pass those placements. You also need to pass the placements & modules to go onto the next year. If you fail you would of had to redo the year/module and if you fail the second time you will qualify with a qualification equivalent to doing 2 years of a degree. It may not be like that for all Universities but that's what happened at my previous.
At Southampton you must pass all of the academic work and all of your placements to pass thr e year. If you don't pass after you resit either one then you have to resit the whole year again. You'd never be able to get a degree if you failed either element x
I mean in terms of your very last placement. Our last placement is after exams and during the summer holidays, what if your mentor doesn't feel like you qualify, I think my uni does offer extended placement time. But what if you just wanted the degree and not the registration, can you not get a BSc Adult Nursing without registration?
I'm not sure but I know that my previous course was if you failed one aspect after multiple tries you failed that year. With it being 50% placement and 50% theory I personally can't see them giving a degree with the title Bsc Adult nursing as the placement aspect of the course would of been failed. Having never been in that situation myself (I was in the situation in first year and wasn't able to get the 1st year certificate when leaving) in my final year it's probably best to actually ask the University on what they would do in that situation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Marty'sCalvin's
I mean in terms of your very last placement. Our last placement is after exams and during the summer holidays, what if your mentor doesn't feel like you qualify, I think my uni does offer extended placement time. But what if you just wanted the degree and not the registration, can you not get a BSc Adult Nursing without registration?

Our university does allows people to repeat placements in case of failure etc, which is why as nursing students our graduations are so much later than everyone else.
I don't believe you can be awarded a degree of nursing if you don't pass and don't register as this is misleading to everyone saying you have the degree but not the qualification.
As far as I am aware, if you do fail you're just awarded a degree in health and social care as others have mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Our university doesn't less you pass the year unless you pass your placement, so you can't move on to 2nd or 3rd year.
No I don't think so, you'd probably get BSc health studies or equivalent as long as your placement doesn't contribute to your overall credits for your degree. I'm sure this doesn't happen very often though, usually if you didn't pass you'd be offered an extension/ alternative placement.
My old uni would give you a qualification with a different name if you weren't suitable for registration, and it did happen on one or two occasions.
If you fully pass the course but decide personally not to register you'll still get the same qualification as everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know we're a few years on but did you ever find out the answer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending