The Student Room Group

OCR English Literature (AS 15th May 2015 Exam Thread)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by r0cketscience
Thank you so much, this really helps! Ahh I know nothing for women, my teacher went through Lord Henry and Dorian the most and setting and then the A0s, so I hope women don't come up, but isn't the topic of women fairly limited?

i answered a similar question i think on page 12 with another big essay type response.

Essentially women are absolutely key, wilde was a proto-feminist for instance, and there is a lot to talk about so no the topic is not limited in the slightest.

Never underestimate women in literature they are absolutely always a key component.
Original post by DreamtoReality

No- not a clue, because the book is so open they could ask anything!

Maybe they could ask whether the governess is sane or insane?

They have already asked about class superiority, gender and the ghosts, so i'm guessing it is something other than those themes!

They asked a few years ago about the governess being to young and frightened to be reliable. Perhaps it could be something about gothic tropes?
Original post by Lotty_A
They asked a few years ago about the governess being to young and frightened to be reliable. Perhaps it could be something about gothic tropes?

yeah maybe!
Original post by bertiewallace123
i answered a similar question i think on page 12 with another big essay type response.

Essentially women are absolutely key, wilde was a proto-feminist for instance, and there is a lot to talk about so no the topic is not limited in the slightest.

Never underestimate women in literature they are absolutely always a key component.

Ah okay, I guess it's because I haven't studied women within the novel as a key theme, but thank you so much!
Original post by victoria1998
I like your structure, of a short intro to say what the poem is about and where it originated from, then a small one on form (rhyming etc)...

Then I think I'll try and split into themes!

Do you think that will be okay?

Yea it sounds good :smile:
Reply 385
This was by far the easiest TTOTS question to come up:

'To insist on one reading of the turn of the screw at the expense of another is to misread the turn of the screw'

how far and in what ways do you agree with this view
Reply 386
Topics so far for TTOTS:

June 2012:
Ghosts
Reliability of Governess' narrative.

Jan 2013:
Interpretations of TTOTS over time (Apparationist vs Non Apparationist vs Structrualist)
Setting

June 2013:
Victorian views at the time
Ending's ambiguity

June 2014:
Women being victims
Suspense
Hi I'm also doing Jane Eyre. My teacher predicts one on St John or Bertha
what poems can you link to Going to Him Happy Letter by Dickinson
My teacher said the same! Like the smaller characters? He also mentioned that it's likely a question on the gothic theme or representations of male characters could come up. I'm hoping for one on childhood or domesticity though!
Everyone doing Yeats, I made this thread for predictions of what poem might come up!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3313803
Original post by amykate06
My teacher said the same! Like the smaller characters? He also mentioned that it's likely a question on the gothic theme or representations of male characters could come up. I'm hoping for one on childhood or domesticity though!

Yeah, gothic could definitely come up!
What would a childhood one be like??
Original post by Dawood98
what poems can you link to Going to Him Happy Letter by Dickinson

you can link 'My life had stood a loaded gun' and 'Because I could not stop 'both about the positive aspects of relationship with men or 'Him'. Others are less positive like Narrow Fellow.

you can also link or contrast it with God poems like slant of light, Funeral etc. and also just contrast it in general with her doubtful works. (ie everything)

Its one of the hardest and unlikely to come up.
Original post by bertiewallace123
you can link 'My life had stood a loaded gun' and 'Because I could not stop 'both about the positive aspects of relationship with men or 'Him'. Others are less positive like Narrow Fellow.

you can also link or contrast it with God poems like slant of light, Funeral etc. and also just contrast it in general with her doubtful works. (ie everything)

Its one of the hardest and unlikely to come up.

Oh right. Thank you so much

We did a practice question for childhood, where there was a quote about her having a 'sick, deranged childhood' and you just talk about her time at Gateshead and Lowood (obviously agreeing with the quote) but then counteract it with good experiences from her childhood, e.g. Helen Burns, Bessie, Miss Temple. Or vice versa, also add in some context about orphanages at the time and how children were treated

Also, there's a lot to talk about with the style of Bronte's writing in childhood, like when she changes to a satirical style or when it's almost like a fairy tale. You can pick up quite a lot of marks for talking about the style:smile:
Original post by DreamtoReality

No- not a clue, because the book is so open they could ask anything!

Maybe they could ask whether the governess is sane or insane?

They have already asked about class superiority, gender and the ghosts, so i'm guessing it is something other than those themes!

One of my English teachers is convinced they'll give a question about Miles and Flora and something to do with evil. Just another possibility you can consider when revising! :yep:
Anyone doing Frankenstein?
in section a, does anybody know if you get marks for just name dropping other poems, or do you need to go into a specific amount of detail??
Original post by bethleh3m
in section a, does anybody know if you get marks for just name dropping other poems, or do you need to go into a specific amount of detail??

need detail, otherwise its not strong.

you cant just say like in 280, well you can but it would be weak and a lot of examiners dont like it
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending