The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship or college?

I am currently finishing my GCSE'S and i would like a career in civil engineering as i have a love for math and physics. I have been offered a conditional offer for a extended manufacturing level 3 (which can progress to a higher apprenticeship) and i have also been offered an advanced apprenticeship for a civil engineering technician. I like the idea of doing the manufacturing diploma because it keeps my career doors open and i'm only in college 3 days a week! However on the apprenticeship scheme, it is 5 days a week and it only focuses on civil engineering where as the college diploma focuses on all the engineering sectors... However, from what iv been hearing an apprenticeships better for future prospects because employers look for students with a lot of work experience... So to sum it all up, APPRENTICESHIP or COLLEGE!?
You can do college and then an apprenticeship after?
Depends on which you prefer yourself, if you like the college, then go for it, if you prefer the apprenticeship now, then do that. It's your personal preference.
Reply 2
Original post by scrunkie
You can do college and then an apprenticeship after?
Depends on which you prefer yourself, if you like the college, then go for it, if you prefer the apprenticeship now, then do that. It's your personal preference.

I think an apprenticeship would be better but i'm not sure if i'm ready to jump straight into work yet :facepalm: ... Thanks for the reply anyway!
Original post by Dan19983
I am currently finishing my GCSE'S and i would like a career in civil engineering as i have a love for math and physics. I have been offered a conditional offer for a extended manufacturing level 3 (which can progress to a higher apprenticeship) and i have also been offered an advanced apprenticeship for a civil engineering technician. I like the idea of doing the manufacturing diploma because it keeps my career doors open and i'm only in college 3 days a week! However on the apprenticeship scheme, it is 5 days a week and it only focuses on civil engineering where as the college diploma focuses on all the engineering sectors... However, from what iv been hearing an apprenticeships better for future prospects because employers look for students with a lot of work experience... So to sum it all up, APPRENTICESHIP or COLLEGE!?

Apprenticeship is deffo better you can go into college after aswell or while doing your apprenticeship you can still study at college ect
Reply 4
Original post by SceneKid17
Apprenticeship is deffo better you can go into college after aswell or while doing your apprenticeship you can still study at college ect

Thanks for your comment :yy: Yeah I see where your coming from... i can either go from apprenticeship to college OR college to apprenticeship... Its a hard choice aha
Thanks for your comment :yy: Yeah I see where your coming from... i can either go from apprenticeship to college OR college to apprenticeship... Its a hard choice aha

ah yeah well good luck anyway hopefully you'll make the right choice and no worries xxx

It's not really a hard choice, it's the same thing just in a different order. If you don't want to go into work yet, then just go to college? Although I definitely think apprenticeship is much much more beneficial.
Reply 7
Original post by scrunkie
It's not really a hard choice, it's the same thing just in a different order. If you don't want to go into work yet, then just go to college? Although I definitely think apprenticeship is much much more beneficial.

Thats the thing!! i know that an apprenticeship is better by far but its going out of my comfort zone and i dont think im ready for that
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by STUDYREVISE
I definitely think you should go to college and after that you have the options of either going to university or doing an apprenticeship. Don't just skip out college and go on to an apprenticeship especially since you want a career in civil engineering because the apprenticeship will leave you with less options in comparison to going to college and getting your A-level qualifications which will also help you out in working life in the future.

Thank you that really helped!! I will feel far more comfortable going college than doing an apprenticeship anyway :smile: If i do the apprenticeship and don't like civil engineering then ill be one year back starting at the beginning however if i go to college then i can choose what to do next!! thanks again
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest