The Student Room Group

Funding rules different for lower level apprenticeships?

I was told that I can only get funding for apprenticeships of at least one level above any qualification level I currently hold. However I have seen multiple times now lvl 3 apprenticeships offered that require a lvl 3 qualification already to even start it, I suppose they must be fussier. So are the rules different for lower levels, or are they somehow prepared to not obtain as much funding, or do I have the rule incorrect from the start?

Thankyou.
Reply 1
Original post by moomin valley
I was told that I can only get funding for apprenticeships of at least one level above any qualification level I currently hold. However I have seen multiple times now lvl 3 apprenticeships offered that require a lvl 3 qualification already to even start it, I suppose they must be fussier. So are the rules different for lower levels, or are they somehow prepared to not obtain as much funding, or do I have the rule incorrect from the start?

Thankyou.

The funding rules here:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/653b726de6c9680014aa9c05/Apprenticeship_funding_rules_2324_Version_2.pdf

State that you cannot receive funding if:

Section 23.12.1 states:
You cannot receive funding if replicating previous learning I.e., you’ve done the same qualification before.

If the apprenticeship is not a duplication and is instead somewhat similar to prior learning, further assessment is needed.

Section 29.1 states
Repeated learning may be omitted from the apprenticeship standard, but the remaining material must be in excess of 1 years worth of on the job learning.

There is no assessment of qualification levels for funding eligibility, only the type of prior learning and its relevance to the specific apprenticeship.

For example, if you did an electrician course or electrical engineer degree at college or uni respectively, you couldn’t do an electricians apprenticeship.
If you did a level 3 mechanical engineering college course, you might be able to do it with reduced learning (skip first year of study).
If you did a level 3 business admin or business management degree, you could do a electricians apprenticeship, it’s a different field of study.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2

Thankyou.

Who told you that? It sounds very misleading - at least with respect to people who are recruited and are doing apprenticeships. Plus - I'm pretty confident there is no government department checking.
Original post by ajj2000
Who told you that? It sounds very misleading - at least with respect to people who are recruited and are doing apprenticeships. Plus - I'm pretty confident there is no government department checking.

i also suspect this might to be do with FE college type funding to try and discourage /prevent peopel doing several level 3s in disparate subjects ...
Reply 4
Original post by Miss Pulford
i also suspect this might to be do with FE college type funding to try and discourage /prevent peopel doing several level 3s in disparate subjects ...

My experience ( admittedly with good private training companies) is that they are very keen to sell their courses as apprenticeship levy eligible.
Original post by ajj2000
My experience ( admittedly with good private training companies) is that they are very keen to sell their courses as apprenticeship levy eligible.

Apprenticeship levy has changed stuff massively, which is why the Ambulance Service is basically taking training back in house even if accredited externally ( not only FREC for ECA/ Tech buit also the various AAP 3 / 4 qualificatiosn for AAP / tech but also Paramedic degree apprenticeship) as can use levy funding
Original post by ajj2000

the people on the governments apprenticeship phoneline, it was the same lady twice, but she didnt seem to understand the details herself very well when I prodded her.

Could see from searching this website too.
Original post by ajj2000

Right but, even if I choose the sneaky path, I would have to omit the qualification from my cv and then make up a story for what I had been doing for that year. Im a bad liar pmsl. Apprenticeship service also said to judge whether the apprenticeship has enough new information in it to be elligible for funding when comparing it to the other course, that the employer may choose to test you. So i will allow them to tst me when I am drunk. :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 8
Right but, even if I choose the sneaky path, I would have to omit the qualification from my cv and then make up a story for what I had been doing for that year. Im a bad liar pmsl. Apprenticeship service also said to judge whether the apprenticeship has enough new information in it to be elligible for funding when comparing it to the other course, that the employer may choose to test you. So i will allow them to tst me when I am drunk. :smile:

Dont omit qualifications. Many companies are very adept at background checks. Even if it works if they find out you are pretty likely to be fired. Thats a tough one to explain in future applications.

Seriously - its a non issue unless a particular employer has their own internal policy for their own circumstances. This is rare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending