The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Mental Health Support at Dundee

Hi.

So I've firmed a conditional offer for 2nd year History and Politics at Dundee, and I am really excited to go in September! I'm an N.Irish applicant.

Anyway, last month I was diagnosed with moderate depression and social anxiety disorder.

1) Should I inform Dundee of this? I'm now on antidepressants and will be when I start my course.

2) Has anyone here had any experience with the mental health support at the university? I've read what I can find on the website, but I would like to know from people who have experience.

Thanks.
Reply 1
I'm a third year undergrad. in Psychology at the University of Dundee and unfortunately don't have any experience with the mental health support team, but I do know that a couple of months ago some students have founded an already very active Mental Health Society. Seems like there is a growing awareness :smile:
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Original post by Sir Fox
I'm a third year undergrad. in Psychology at the University of Dundee and unfortunately don't have any experience with the mental health support team, but I do know that a couple of months ago some students have founded an already very active Mental Health Society. Seems like there is a growing awareness :smile:

Thanks. :smile: I'm just not sure whether tell Dundee will be any use to me
Reply 3
Original post by CescaD96
Thanks. :smile: I'm just not sure whether tell Dundee will be any use to me.

To be honest I have no idea. I guess pretty much every university has a counselling/mental health service, but it's in the nature of the subject that you won't find a ton of reviews about them on the base of which you can then pick the uni. This TSR subforum is rather small and the chance that there is a current or past student active on here who happens to have used the university's mental health service and is willing to share his/her experience is rather low.

I guess you could give them a call, telling them that you're thinking about attending and elaborating on your situation and get some first hand information on what they can offer you, get an impression of them etc.

Of course with Dundee being a major city there are tons of other options on offer, including psychiatrists, psychotherapists etc.
Reply 4
Hi,

I'm going into my final year of Politics and IR at Dundee, and I got diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder when I was in my 2nd year. (I'm also an NI student)

I went to disability services on campus (right next to the Tower Building, where the humanities office is), and that's probably the best way to inform the uni. They will make adjustments for your classes if you need them, and its better to let them know in advance if you are likely to miss classes or have problems getting coursework in on time. The advisor for mental health is really nice and supportive. They offer loads of stuff for people with mental illness, like mentoring to help you with deadlines and applications for DSA.

I haven't had much success with the other mental health services on campus, but that doesn't mean you wont. Register with a doctor and they will be able to help with the medication.

Hope this helps a bit :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by PMOB
Hi,

I'm going into my final year of Politics and IR at Dundee, and I got diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder when I was in my 2nd year. (I'm also an NI student)

I went to disability services on campus (right next to the Tower Building, where the humanities office is), and that's probably the best way to inform the uni. They will make adjustments for your classes if you need them, and its better to let them know in advance if you are likely to miss classes or have problems getting coursework in on time. The advisor for mental health is really nice and supportive. They offer loads of stuff for people with mental illness, like mentoring to help you with deadlines and applications for DSA.

I haven't had much success with the other mental health services on campus, but that doesn't mean you wont. Register with a doctor and they will be able to help with the medication.

Hope this helps a bit :smile:

Hi. Thanks for your reply. My diagnosis actually changed, turns out I have a personality disorder too, obsessive compulsive. I went to disability services but my appointment isn't until next week, which sucks a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending