The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

special assistance

i'm considering going to soas for uni but i was wondering what people thought of their student support especially around mental health. i am fairly mentally ill and need a uni which can support my mental health, will soas be good for this?
Hi, I don't have very good experiences with the student support at SOAS. It was always difficult to book a session. The sessions were timed at 30 minutes max. And I didn't really get the support I needed during and from those sessions. But this was before the pandemic. Things might have changed (hopefully for the better) in the meanwhile.

I hope someone who's currently based at SOAS sees this thread and responds to your queries. But I'm so glad that you are taking your mental health needs into account while selecting your educational institute. It's just so important and so largely ignored.

In the meantime, I will also try looking for universities with good student wellbeing support centres and get back to you. Take care, friend!
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Hello!

I'm really sorry to hear that you are struggling with your mental health, I am currently studying at SOAS so I can tell you a little bit about my experience with the services and what I know about how they work.

Since the pandemic I know that SOAS has invested in building up its student wellbeing team by increasing the number of therapists it has in its team and also by increasing the diversity of its counsellors. From what I know, if you are in need of therapy you can apply to the wellbeing team for support and you will receive short term counselling from an internal therapist at SOAS for about 6-8 weeks. If from that you would like longer term counselling support SOAS will work with you to find an external counselling service that suits your needs.

Additionally, at SOAS we have something called a Study inclusion plan (SIP). If you have a diagnosed disability, mental health condition or are neuro divergent you can apply for a SIP. It's effectively designed to help support you in various ways throughout your time at university and mitigate the barriers that you might face during your studies.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

- Monica (Social Anthropology student at SOAS)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
I have a disability and currently studying at SOAS. It’s awful. You may get a SIP but the actual support isn’t there. Advisors take forever to reply to emails, they don’t offer any alternative options or advice when you’re struggling, and the university doesn’t offer any hybrid learning. I’ve just finished my first year and think I’ll drop out, it’s just so unsupportive
We're sorry to hear this has been your experience, could you please contact [email protected] so we can ensure the support you need is in place. The Student Advice and Wellbeing team is committed to making sure your time here is a success and will be able to offer further support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending