The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel S1 - (5th June 2015) Exam Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frozo123
If T was 29
that's mod of ( 25-29) which will be 4
do ygm?

You have to solve the inequality basically, do you know how to?

oh okay I understand the mod part, don't think I know how to answer the question though
Original post by yesyesyesno
oh okay I understand the mod part, don't think I know how to answer the question though

Yeah don't worry, it's more like a hybrid of a C3 and a S1 question aha
Original post by coolgamer
Do u get it can u explain

basically round 1 has to be lower than round 2 so when the point is 0 in round one the point in round to can be 5,10 or 15. then when the point for round 1 is 5 the point for round 2 has to be 10 or 5 and so on
Original post by kandykissesxox
I don't understand why it can't be 0.2 x 0.2 ?

If it were on a tree diagram then you would have P( 232 <W< 234.622) = 0.20 so you need to connect it to the branch that has a probability of not lying between these values. which is 0.2. this would mean only one jar lies between 232 and 234.622.
the second branch is not lying between 232 and 234.622, so its probability is 0.8 so you have to multiply this by the connecting branch which is jar 2 lying between 232 and 234.622 and that would be 0.8 x 0.2, so adding these up it would be (0.2 x 0.8) + (0.2 x 0.8).

It can't be 0.2 x 0.2 as this would be the probability that neither jars satisfy the inequality.
Original post by NotNotBatman
If it were on a tree diagram then you would have P( 232 <W< 234.622) = 0.20 so you need to connect it to the branch that has a probability of not lying between these values. which is 0.2. this would mean only one jar lies between 232 and 234.622.
the second branch is not lying between 232 and 234.622, so its probability is 0.8 so you have to multiply this by the connecting branch which is jar 2 lying between 232 and 234.622 and that would be 0.8 x 0.2, so adding these up it would be (0.2 x 0.8) + (0.2 x 0.8).

It can't be 0.2 x 0.2 as this would be the probability that neither jars satisfy the inequality.

:smile: I understand, thank you!
Hey could some one please give me a list of things my calculator can do to help me in the exam. I am self studying and I'm not sure of any tricks my calculator can do. I also have a graphical calculator, what can I do with this to help me?
Original post by Maham88
basically round 1 has to be lower than round 2 so when the point is 0 in round one the point in round to can be 5,10 or 15. then when the point for round 1 is 5 the point for round 2 has to be 10 or 5 and so on

oh I get it thanks so each time we multiply probability of round 1 and round 2
when Am I suppose to use the percentage points table?? Like how do I know if the question is asking me to use the percentage points values? like for instance "Find the value of the constant a such that P(Z > a) = 0.01"
Original post by coolgamer
oh I get it thanks so each time we multiply probability of round 1 and round 2

yeah
Original post by FluffyCherry
when Am I suppose to use the percentage points table?? Like how do I know if the question is asking me to use the percentage points values? like for instance "Find the value of the constant a such that P(Z > a) = 0.01"

If you cannot solve the Z value but know the area. If the area used in one that is in the percentage points table then use it as you may lose marks for using the normal dist. function table.

For your example look at the table and you should be able to see that your z value is 2.3263.
Tip with normal distribution as I used to struggle with it.

A way to help you understand the problem is by drawing the normal curves, for X and for Z. They are visually identical and the X one is the given value where the mean is at the centre, the Z is the standardised value, where 0 is at the centre (so when you do (X - mean)/standard deviation). If your X value is to the left of the mean and the probability is less than, you will need to do 1 - ANS from table. If your value of X is to the right of the mean and the probability is more than, you also need to do 1- ANS. Otherwise it's fine.

These graphs help much more when doing reverse normal questions, as they can help determine whether your Z value is positive or negative (left of 0 on Z graph is negative, right is positive).

Just drawing the X curve can help a lot, and you can always check a reverse normal question by substituting in your value(s).
What score did everyone get on the IAL Jan 2015 paper?
I did so badly, not looking forward to tomorrow at all. :frown:
Reply 792
how many significant figures should I use for S1 edexcel
I swear the IAL papers are pretty difficult - is there chance we might be given papers like that tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by u_s_e_r

Just about to do it, I'll let you know how I get on
Reply 795
I'm really confused on coding... please could someone explain how it relates to each topic and how it can affect each one e.g mean, correlation etc. Thank you :smile:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433426118.833500.jpg

Can anyone help me with this question? I'm stuck on it for like 20 minutes :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know if I'm being a complete idiot... but i can't draw it... as in for the bar where it's just 8 and for the 11 one??? Won't there be a gap? :frown:
Original post by Chewysambe
I don't know if I'm being a complete idiot... but i can't draw it... as in for the bar where it's just 8 and for the 11 one??? Won't there be a gap? :frown:

Because it's 'to the nearest minute', I imagine the bars will go up to the upper class width.

Original post by icexcity_
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433426118.833500.jpg
x

Which part?

Original post by mrt1997
I'm really confused on coding... please could someone explain how it relates to each topic and how it can affect each one e.g mean, correlation etc. Thank you :smile:

I'm not 100% sure about how it affects correlation. It affects the mean, so if you find the mean of the coded data, you do it by 'undoing' the code, so find the value you put into the code that gets you the coded mean and that's your mean. Variance is not affected by coding.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by u_s_e_r

have you got the mark scheme for it ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending