The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel S1 - (5th June 2015) Exam Thread

Scroll to see replies

What definitions do we need to know ?
Original post by PlayerBB

TSR has a funny way of making images go upside down and inside out :colondollar:

But for your first question, on histograms the area represents a multiple of the frequency. Usually they give a histogram, give you the frequency for one bar (which you'll know the class width and f.d for) and you have to find the scale factor.
Original post by Gilo98
No worries, good luck for tomorrow - hope we get a Venn diagram Q for you!!

If we do you will be the first person I ask whether or not I got it right or not! Hahaha you too
what are the hardest past papers ??
Can anyone explain what each statistical model is good for?

A question from one of the Solomon papers was:

State, with a reason, whether or not the normal distribution might be suitable for modelling of each of the following:

i) the number of children in a family
ii) the time taken for a particular employee to cycle to work each day using the same route
iii) the quarterly electricity bills for a particular house

I saw a similar question to this in a past paper. I'm wondering is it necessary to know what a model is suitable or useful for?
Original post by Ambrina
and how do i do that?

the area of each bar is proportional to the frequency.
400 mini square in total represents 40 staff
so 1 staff is represented by 10 mini squares

hours freq (no of staff)
0-2 -- 16
2-5 -- 12
5-10 -- 6
10-20 -- 4
20-30 --- 2

the you use interpolation to work out the median
do you get it?
Original post by jackharris_97
If we do you will be the first person I ask whether or not I got it right or not! Hahaha you too

:biggrin:

Original post by Maham88
what are the hardest past papers ??

Jan 2015 IAL and June 2013 R
YESS 63/75 in the June 2014 r paper I was on a c yesterday woooo

Posted from TSR Mobile
How hard are people guessing it to be? Easier than C1 and 2?
Original post by Gilo98
Look at my posts over last few pages - been explaining it to someone else

yes thanks but i didnt get part (e)

Because the area to the right of mew+15 is the only area on the graph which satisfies the probability of being greater than mew-15 but also greater than mew+15. Make sense?

just square Y using the identity E(Y)^2 =E(3X-1)^2= E(9X^2 - 6X +1)
= 9E(X)^2 -6E(X) + E(1)
then substitute your valuesof E(X) and E(X)^2 and get the answer
Original post by BP_Tranquility
But in the textbook, it says if you have y=10/x , and you find the value for the standard deviation of y, then the standard deviation for x is 10y so wouldn't the variance be 10²y?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, I can't find where it refers to that in the text book, did you mean to put y=x/10? If so and if you are working out variance from the standard deviation (instead of calculating it from the coded data and decoding, which is what I assumed), then you square it.
If you find the standard deviation of the coded data to be y, then you multiply by 10 to decode it, as you stated (10y). So then the variance would be the whole of that squared, so (10y)^2.
Hope so.
I got near full marks on c1 and c2 but can't do stats to save my life and haven't even done one paper or revised it since our last lesson 5 weeks back

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by particlestudent
How hard are people guessing it to be? Easier than C1 and 2?

Easier then c1 and c2 but I reckon a few tricky question which could be worth a lot of marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by u_s_e_r
the area of each bar is proportional to the frequency.
400 mini square in total represents 40 staff
so 1 staff is represented by 10 mini squares

hours freq (no of staff)
0-2 -- 16
2-5 -- 12
5-10 -- 6
10-20 -- 4
20-30 --- 2

the you use interpolation to work out the median
do you get it?

ohhh so then i find cumulative frequency and then median. woah that's a lot fo work for 2 marks >.> Thanks a lottt for taking the time to help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending