The Student Room Group

How to Revise for Economics?

Hey I was just wandering how everyone else revises for economics? I'm a bit lost because after making notes I don't really know what to do. I've tried doing papers but they feel like no use to me because they're really difficult to mark, so I have no idea if I'm improving or not?
Any advice would be hugely appreciated!! :smile:
I agree with the difficulty in marking them! However, I personally think that it's worth doing many papers because timing is essential! I am always stretched for time and left with an aching hand. Practice the multi-choice q's and context qs separately to refine timing (assuming you do AQA). That's my strategy at least.

Good luck!
Why are you guys trying to mark them yourselves?
It would be better to give to your teacher(s) to mark for you and then give feedback. Worked for me last year.

Original post by AmarPatel98
I agree with the difficulty in marking them! However, I personally think that it's worth doing many papers because timing is essential! I am always stretched for time and left with an aching hand. Practice the multi-choice q's and context qs separately to refine timing (assuming you do AQA). That's my strategy at least.

Good luck!

And I wouldn't recommend this, personally. Splitting the sections doesn't help in the real thing, as you might take a break between the two when doing past papers. I always found it better to do the multiple choice first, and then move on to section B.
(edited 9 years ago)
Some good youtube videos for economics include Acdc economics (something along those lines), pajholden and khanacademy of you are more of an audiovisual learner. Also, getrevising has a few revision notes of high quality that I am rewriting in my own words.
As Turbo said, using notes and documents to answer exam questions and then trying without notes is an effective way to not only revise the content, but nail the exam techniques too.
Instead of flashcards, I use this app called Evernote, which is a great note taking app which I type my notes up on my laptop and it syncs with my phone, giving me access to these notes at all times, even without internet access.
Obviously, revision guides are a good way to revise, but instead of reading a topic front to back, read it back to front. This way, you first get a summary of the content, then the detail which is useful.
Economics help and tutor2u are good websites to refer to when revising and I also use them for diagrams
Having a copy of the syllabus is great as it allows you to track your progress and see what you need to know for the exam.

Good luck with your revision and exams
Reply 4
Original post by Turbo1
Wrote up a big revision document myself. Reading through and questioning myself. Also I'll be doing past papers using the document at first then without. I guess you could also make flash cards or a poster on topics/areas you aren't confident on.

Hope that helps.

That's a great idea thank you! Using revision notes to answer the questions will be really useful because sometimes I read a question and I have no idea where to go after defining some stuff.
Reply 5
Original post by AmarPatel98

Good luck!

Good point with the timing, I'm often left rushing with the last 25 marker! I'm doing AQA, currently doing A2 but I'm resitting my As units. Multi choice seem so nice now :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Aquatix96
Some good youtube videos for economics include Acdc economics (something along those lines), pajholden and khanacademy of you are more of an audiovisual learner. Also, getrevising has a few revision notes of high quality that I am rewriting in my own words.
As Turbo said, using notes and documents to answer exam questions and then trying without notes is an effective way to not only revise the content, but nail the exam techniques too.
Instead of flashcards, I use this app called Evernote, which is a great note taking app which I type my notes up on my laptop and it syncs with my phone, giving me access to these notes at all times, even without internet access.
Obviously, revision guides are a good way to revise, but instead of reading a topic front to back, read it back to front. This way, you first get a summary of the content, then the detail which is useful.
Economics help and tutor2u are good websites to refer to when revising and I also use them for diagrams
Having a copy of the syllabus is great as it allows you to track your progress and see what you need to know for the exam.

Good luck with your revision and exams

Thank you so much, I will definitely be looking into some of those videos/websites! Good luck with your exams as well!

Quick Reply

Latest