The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

City University London vs Reading University law

Hey guys, I'm currently in my 1st year of law at Reading. I've applied for a transfer to City University due to personal reasons but now I'm wondering if City University's law school is as good or better than Reading as after I checked the rankings Reading is higher. So anyone studying there, I need your opinions on this please! All opinions are welcome cause this is a big decision and I need all the help I can get! Especially in regards to how are the lectures and tutorials and the people there. Thanks!
Reply 1
Reading in high but City is quite high as well, 21st in UK in law. This is a quite good ranking. The City Law School has a long lasting reputation among the profession so I would go there without any regrets
I am a second year student in law and lectures are good as well as tutorials, of course, the content, the delivery method will depend from a lecturer to another. I think the big advantage we have is the long list of third year modules you can choose from and focus on area you are interested in.
I can't really speak about the people there, its like everywhere, the good and the bad, students are students so wherever you go you will find various people.

I hope this helped
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks a lot! I appreciate it
Hi! I just completed my BBA (hons) at SFU in Canada, and plan to relocate to London. Just wonder would I have a chance to get a training contract from those big commercial law firms such as Allen&Overy? Many thanks!
Original post by stef22
Hey guys, I'm currently in my 1st year of law at Reading. I've applied for a transfer to City University due to personal reasons but now I'm wondering if City University's law school is as good or better than Reading as after I checked the rankings Reading is higher. So anyone studying there, I need your opinions on this please! All opinions are welcome cause this is a big decision and I need all the help I can get! Especially in regards to how are the lectures and tutorials and the people there. Thanks!

I would say that City University is a well regarded university. It has a good reputation in subjects like Business/Finance, Journalism, Law and Music. Its Business School Cass is especially strong, has a good reputation and is consistently ranked in the financial times and times rankings in the top business schools in the UK.

Also the fact that City University has been accepted in the University of London (UoL) on Wednesday 15th July, 2015 shows that the university has good enough research to be considered "equal" to other research intensive universities which are part of the University of London such as Queen Mary, SOAS, Birkbeck etc. Just Google this to confirm it, you will find announcements on both City's university website as well as the university of London website plus also on some other websites such as the times higher education website and others.

Additionally, the entry requirements have always been a good indication of how "good" a university is. For more Bachelor courses in Economics and Finance you will need to have 33-35 International Baccalaureat points and for most postgraduates courses you will need a 2:1 or a First to get accepted. These entry requirements are on par with other universities such as Reading, Cardiff, Royal Holloway which although do not have "top notch" reputation such as LSE and Oxbridge are nevertheless well respected institutions.

Finally, since sometimes both Brunel and City are confused of being ex-polytechnics, both City University and Brunel gained their Royal Charters in the 60's. They are thus both plate glass universities similar to Bath, Hull, Sussex Warwick etc. and not ex-polytechnics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending