The Student Room Group

how difficult is psychology?

I took this subject at A level and got a low grade A, would i struggle at uni?
The A-level isn't very representative of the degree.

A healthy knowledge and interest in biology and statistics is far more useful to assess how you would succeed at undergrad.
Reply 2
Agree with the above on the statistics - it's a significant component of the degree. Most people don't enjoy it so I wouldn't say you need to like stats to do well in Psych, but you do need the ability to pass the modules. (They assume no knowledge when they start teaching it though, so you should be well supported.)
Like with most degrees the answer is probably, easy to pass (i.e. get a 3rd or 2:2) but difficult to get a 1st in.
Reply 4
Original post by lottiegrf
I took this subject at A level and got a low grade A, would i struggle at uni?

A lot of psychology undergraduates don't even have an A Level in psychology, so you may have an advantage already there. Seems like you have a good knowledge base already. You'll find you'll repeat a lot of things in 1st year, and 2nd and maybe even 3rd. You'll just go over them in more detail.
I personally found the biological aspect the hardest and it shows in my grades. A lot of people find research methods tricky too, although I was fairly comfortable with it. But like anything, you only get out what you put in. If you do the bare minimum you'll get a 2:2 or 3rd. If you do the required reading, take your time on the assignments and work hard, you'll get a 2:1 or a 1st.

Quick Reply

Latest