The Student Room Group

AQA English literature B coursework

Hi,
I've just found out that I got a strong A in my coursework (worth 40% of final grade) and I want to know what I'll need to get in my exam (60%) to get a B or above overall?
Does anyone know from past experience? Would it be possible to get a C in the exam and still get a B overall?
Thanks!
Original post by phoebecushion
Hi,
I've just found out that I got a strong A in my coursework (worth 40% of final grade) and I want to know what I'll need to get in my exam (60%) to get a B or above overall?
Does anyone know from past experience? Would it be possible to get a C in the exam and still get a B overall?
Thanks!

Hey! :smile: it all depends on UMS, however it should definitely be possible. I got a very high B in my exam at AS, and an A in the coursework, and still got an A overall :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Changing Skies
Hey! :smile: it all depends on UMS, however it should definitely be possible. I got a very high B in my exam at AS, and an A in the coursework, and still got an A overall :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! Thanks for the reply:smile: well done with your grade! Do you have any exam tips? What poems and books did you do? Did you plan essays before or anything? How much prep did you do for the exam in general? Haha sorry for all the questions:biggrin:
Hey! Thanks for the reply:smile: well done with your grade! Do you have any exam tips? What poems and books did you do? Did you plan essays before or anything? How much prep did you do for the exam in general? Haha sorry for all the questions:biggrin:

Thank you! :h: the only exam tips I can give are obvious ones I'm afraid. My biggest piece of advice is to make sure you cover the assessment objectives thoroughly! That's basically all I did, as well as ensuring I came up with interesting interpretations. Another obvious one is to try your very hardest to answer the question as succinct as possible, and to avoid moving away from the question at all costs. Keep referring back to the question throughout the essay to show the examiner you know what you're doing.

Define any key words in the question. I was much more confident at A2 as I ensured I used a formulaic approach. Sure, literature is about expressing your opinion, but it's also very structured too. I studied The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and Keats :smile: I never planned an essay as I prefer just jumping into it, but I know a lot of people who much prefer to plan as it can help you stick to a specific structure.

I did little preparation, if I'm honest :tongue: English has always been my strongest subject so I didn't feel I needed to do too much (without sounding vain :colondollar:). I ensured I knew my texts to a decent level, looked at a few themes and ideas, but that was about it. I like cramming :tongue:

What texts are you doing? :smile:

Congrats on the great coursework grade :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! :h: the only exam tips I can give are obvious ones I'm afraid. My biggest piece of advice is to make sure you cover the assessment objectives thoroughly! That's basically all I did, as well as ensuring I came up with interesting interpretations. Another obvious one is to try your very hardest to answer the question as succinct as possible, and to avoid moving away from the question at all costs. Keep referring back to the question throughout the essay to show the examiner you know what you're doing.

Define any key words in the question. I was much more confident at A2 as I ensured I used a formulaic approach. Sure, literature is about expressing your opinion, but it's also very structured too. I studied The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and Keats :smile: I never planned an essay as I prefer just jumping into it, but I know a lot of people who much prefer to plan as it can help you stick to a specific structure.

I did little preparation, if I'm honest :tongue: English has always been my strongest subject so I didn't feel I needed to do too much (without sounding vain :colondollar:). I ensured I knew my texts to a decent level, looked at a few themes and ideas, but that was about it. I like cramming :tongue:

What texts are you doing? :smile:

Congrats on the great coursework grade :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!:colondollar: and I'm doing almost exactly the same as you! but Tennyson instead of Keats! I find Mariner so difficult to write about haha:biggrin:, what text did you choose to write about for your section A? We've been told to do poems because it's easier to write about books more generally in section B
Thanks!:colondollar: and I'm doing almost exactly the same as you! but Tennyson instead of Keats! I find Mariner so difficult to write about haha:biggrin:, what text did you choose to write about for your section A? We've been told to do poems because it's easier to write about books more generally in section B

Ooh cool! :biggrin: I actually answered Mariner :tongue: I loved it a lot and the question was also a really interesting one :yep: that makes sense :smile:

You planning to continue to A2? :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh cool! :biggrin: I actually answered Mariner :tongue: I loved it a lot and the question was also a really interesting one :yep: that makes sense :smile:

You planning to continue to A2? :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure yet, it depends what grade I get :biggrin::colondollar:
I'm not sure yet, it depends what grade I get :biggrin::colondollar:

Understandable :smile: I'm sure you'll do great! I loved A2 so much :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest