The Student Room Group

Where does a northern accent become a southern accent?

In the UK?

I'm thinking Birmingham maybe? Its not Nottingham as people here still speak with a Northern accent. :s-smilie:

Personally I prefer the southern accent. My mum is from London, I was born in Nottingham. When I grew up here, my mum hated the accent that I was beginning to talk with (learnt from school). As a result she made me change the way I pronounced certain words during this time to speak with a London accent.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Watford gap is the boundary between north and south of the UK.

There is the other cultural divide where accents differ- between civilisation and south London.
Original post by BCMFM16
In the UK?

I'm thinking Birmingham maybe? Its not Nottingham as people here still speak with a Northern accent. :s-smilie:

Yes, somewhere in the UK.
Reply 3
Original post by brittanna
Yes, somewhere in the UK.

Where about in the UK? Leicester? Coventry? Oxford?? IDK?
Original post by barnetlad

There is the other cultural divide where accents differ- between civilisation and south London.

London is the heart of civilisation
Reply 5
Original post by barnetlad

I thought it would be more North? My sister goes to UEA in Norwich where people have a Southern accent i.e. glass: they say (glarss) as opposed to (glaass) - Northern.
Hmm- although Birmingham is in the midlands I would consider it to be a northern accent.
I'd say its probably southern way before it reaches somewhere like London. Dunno, though.
The equator.
Reply 8
Original post by Emily.97
Hmm- although Birmingham is in the midlands I would consider it to be a northern accent.
I'd say its probably southern way before it reaches somewhere like London. Dunno, though.

I thought that but people in Norwich speak with a southern accent I think (?)
Reply 9
There isn't really a set line from what I've seen, I think it's more a squiggle across the Midlands

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BCMFM16

Never heard the accent but cause its in line with Birmingham I'd probably also class that as Northern.
Reply 11
Original post by BCMFM16

They don't speak like the northern accents I've heard so I'd say southern

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Andy98
They don't speak like the northern accents I've heard so I'd say southern

Posted from TSR Mobile

There must be some squiggly line :eek: (Where the two poles change)
Reply 13
This is the best question i've ever seen.
Reply 14
Original post by hxneybun
This is the best question i've ever seen.

I realise it may not make any sense but I genuinely want to know :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by BCMFM16
I realise it may not make any sense but I genuinely want to know :tongue:

No I've actually thought about this a lot and have yet to come to a conclusion. Surely a southern accent would be any accent from a town underneath where you live? So, a birmingham accent would be a southern accent to a manchurian, but it would be a northern accent to a londoner?
Reply 16
Original post by BCMFM16
There must be some squiggly line :eek: (Where the two poles change)

Yeah, I blatantly ignore accents like Birmingham, Newcastle, and Scouse - because those are just too far out for me to say if they're northern or southern accents

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by hxneybun
No I've actually thought about this a lot and have yet to come to a conclusion. Surely a southern accent would be any accent from a town underneath where you live? So, a birmingham accent would be a southern accent to a manchurian, but it would be a northern accent to a londoner?

I guess, but for the most part, people up North seem to stress the vowel more than those down South. (I think).
Original post by BCMFM16
In the UK?

Personally I prefer the southern accent. My mum is from London, I was born in Nottingham. When I grew up here, my mum hated the accent that I was beginning to talk with (learnt from school). As a result she made me change the way I pronounced certain words during this time to speak with a London accent.

I would put Nottingham as more Southern. That may just be because I have family there and they speak 'posher' than Northerners, although that could be because of their Southern roots.... But yeah I thought Nottingham was well spoken (the rich areas at least!) - I.e southern

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm from Derbyshire and have been told I say some words with a southern sound and some with a northern! Actually midlands haha

Quick Reply

Latest