The Student Room Group

Lord Greville Janner escapes child abuse charges again.

Lord Greville Janner of Braunstone, QC, will escape charges for the second time over alleged historic child sex crimes, as Alison Saunders, the director of public prosecutions, will announce on Thursday that it is not in the public interest to put him on trial.

Crown Prosecution Service lawyers have spent nine months studying evidence gathered by Leicestershire police’s Operation Enamel and detectives have interviewed more than 20 men who claim they were abused by Lord Janner in their youth.

On Wednesday night police officers visited the alleged victims to inform them of the decision not to proceed to trial, The Times reported.

I guess he's too ill to sue then?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Leicestershire Police, who have led the latest investigation against the peer, branded the decision extremely worrying and said they are considering taking legal action to overturn it.

Assistant Chief Constable Roger Bannister of Leicestershire Police, who has overseen the investigation named Operation Enamel, said he believed the decision was "the wrong one".

He said: "I am extremely worried about the impact the decision not to prosecute him will have on those people, and more widely I am worried about the message this decision sends out to others, both past and present, who have suffered and are suffering sexual abuse.

"We are exploring what possible legal avenues there may be to challenge this decision and victims themselves have a right to review under a CPS procedure."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3041021/Janner-not-face-abuse-trial.html
I'm not sure why it's been concluded that it's not in the public interest to put him on trial. Of course it is; how else do we take a stand against child sex abuse? Their evidence must be lacking solidity if they're coming to a conclusion like this.
This is very strange. Just because you are not fit to plea does not end matters; you can still be tried and given a hospital order or something.
Where's the 'it was a Tory cover up' brigade.
What would be the point, the guy has dementia I think that is punishment enough.
Reply 6
Original post by Reluire
Their evidence must be lacking solidity if they're coming to a conclusion like this.

Apparently not.

The evidential test: the CPS’s main conclusions in relation to Operation Enamel and the past investigations

12. With that explanation of functions in mind, the CPS has reached the following conclusions in relation to the evidential test, as a result of the investigations and reviews undertaken in this case.

In relation to the allegations investigated in Operation Enamel, the CPS considers that the evidential test was passed on the basis that the evidence is sufficient to have warranted charging and prosecuting Lord Janner in relation to the particular charges listed below; these relate to nine individuals:
14 indecent assaults on a male under 16 between 1969 and 1988
2 indecent assaults between 1984 and 1988
4 counts of buggery of a male under 16 between 1972 and 1987
2 counts of buggery between 1977 and 1988.

In relation to the other three previous investigations, the CPS also now considers that the evidential test was passed. It follows that the CPS judges that mistakes were made in the decision making at the time by both the Leicestershire police in 2002 and the CPS in 1991 and 2007. Lord Janner should have been prosecuted in relation to those complaints.
Original post by DiddyDec
What would be the point, the guy has dementia I think that is punishment enough.

Original post by n00
Apparently not.

I wasn't aware he had dementia. In which case he isn't fit to stand trial. He should have been prosecuted earlier.
Reply 8
Original post by DiddyDec

"It’s not a case of being found guilty or going to prison - it’s about being believed after so long being told that we were lying. Justice needs to be served."
Reply 9
Alison Saunders, the director of public prosecutions, personally overruled senior lawyers to block a prosecution of the Labour peer Lord Janner on child abuse charges.

Lead counsel appointed to the case recommended that Lord Janner of Braunstone, QC, who has advanced dementia, should be charged with 16 sex offences against nine alleged victims spanning three decades from the 1960s. Until last month Leicestershire police, who investigated the case and interviewed 25 alleged victims, believed that the Crown Prosecution Service would press charges.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4414257.ece
Reply 10
Original post by MatureStudent36
Where's the 'it was a Tory cover up' brigade.

Can't say i've really seen any of them round here. :s-smilie:

We heard all about Smith a while ago and we've known the cps were flapping about over Janner for some time.

Maybe you mean the establishment cover up brigade? It's got a familiar stench don't you think? Like the police getting orders to only question Brittan over the lesser rape allegation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Reluire
I wasn't aware he had dementia. In which case he isn't fit to stand trial. He should have been prosecuted earlier.

He should, it's not too late though according to Janner.

Greville Janner
“There were absolutely no reasons why he should have escaped charges for ever.”

“I don’t care what bloody age they are,”
Labour are the paedophile party.
Original post by An☺nymous
Labour are the paedophile party.

I wouldnt say that. Facilitators maybe. Denyers definitely.
He should be prosecuted if nothing else, because it is a massive tin of worms that needs opening.
Dementia eh? I wonder if it's "Ernest Saunders rides again?"
Original post by n00
I guess he's too ill to sue then?

Libel doesn't survive to the estate of a dead victim. Therefore even if those representing Janner due to his incapacity thought they had a cast iron case, they wouldn't sue because it won't get to trial in his lifetime.

What we really need here is two crap decisions.

I think the DPP is wrong. Assuming Janner is expected to live long enough to complete a fitness to plead hearing, then I think the decision about his ability to plead should have been made by a court not the prosecution.

However, what the victims think about it, is not a good reason to prosecute if prosecution is not otherwise justified, so the police are wrong as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by caravaggio2
I wonder if it's "Ernest Saunders rides again?"

I don't think so. Janner's dementia has been known about for some time. There is a separate question of why something without his wits should have been permitted to vote in the House of Lords.
Original post by n00
He should, it's not too late though according to Janner.

You might care to read Hansard

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1991/dec/03/contempt-of-court

You would have to be a brave policeman, not to bottle this.
Reply 18
Hi nulli, was wondering where you'd got to.

Original post by nulli tertius
Libel doesn't survive to the estate of a dead victim. Therefore even if those representing Janner due to his incapacity thought they had a cast iron case, they wouldn't sue because it won't get to trial in his lifetime.

He's as good as dead then?

Original post by nulli tertius
You might care to read Hansard

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1991/dec/03/contempt-of-court

You would have to be a brave policeman, not to bottle this.

ta, you think Vaz is going to go? Didn't he leak a load of victims details already?
Original post by Reluire
I'm not sure why it's been concluded that it's not in the public interest to put him on trial. Of course it is; how else do we take a stand against child sex abuse? Their evidence must be lacking solidity if they're coming to a conclusion like this.

Someone is making them conclude that. We already know how corrupted the justice system is. You just have to look at the HBSC case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending