The Student Room Group

Should I replace my MacBook?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arminb
I know it's much cheaper but you can't change the CPU. Although the CPU is core i7 it is only dual core whereas the new ones are quad core. I'm scared I'll spend all the money and there will be no difference. Please let me know how it wen't if you changed your hard drive.

I wasn't talking about the CPU!

RAM
SSD

These are the two items I recommend getting...

Some guy who's done something similar
Reply 21
Original post by Sykro
You can buy RAM stick for cheap online according to some of the posts above, and they do make a difference.

Have you tried replacing your RAM?
Original post by arminb

I upgraded my MBP's RAM from 4GB to 16GB soon after I got it, made a massive difference! OS X is becoming more resource intensive and it's definitely something I'd look into. SSDs help with loading applications and reading/writing files but upgrading your RAM is what allows you to multitask more, it's fairly cheap too so I'd go for it. The optimum thing of course would be to do both a RAM + SSD upgrade
MacBook and top notch does not exist
Reply 24
Original post by alexschmalex
I upgraded my MBP's RAM from 4GB to 16GB soon after I got it, made a massive difference! OS X is becoming more resource intensive and it's definitely something I'd look into. SSDs help with loading applications and reading/writing files but upgrading your RAM is what allows you to multitask more, it's fairly cheap too so I'd go for it. The optimum thing of course would be to do both a RAM + SSD upgrade

Then I'll do that. Next month. And one more question. Did you do it on your own?
Reply 25
Original post by arminb

There are loads of youtube tutorials on it :smile: But if you do then it voids the warranty, but yours has finished its warranty so its fine.
Original post by arminb
Then I'll do that. Next month. And one more question. Did you do it on your own?

Yep, just followed iFixit's tutorial on it but really just needed a screwdriver and that was it, it's a pretty straight-forward process so you don't need to worry about anything going wrong :smile:
Did you update to Yosemite? Is that when the problems started? If so, do the following:

Go to the Apple logo > System Preferences > Start-up Disk > Highlight the disk > click Restart.
Reply 28
Original post by ImNotSuperman
-

Original post by zxh800
-

Original post by Sykro
-

Original post by TheGuyReturns
-

-

So just to give you an update guys, I have ordered a new RAM(16GB) and SSD(500GB) from Crucial. Fingers crossed it will work. Do you think the graphics card can let me down when editing videos? Mine is only 1gb and I can't replace it. How about processor?it's Core i7 but not the latest gen.
I just hope i didn't waste my money. I paid 260 pounds.
Reply 29
Original post by arminb
So just to give you an update guys, I have ordered a new RAM(16GB) and SSD(500GB) from Crucial. Fingers crossed it will work. Do you think the graphics card can let me down when editing videos? Mine is only 1gb and I can't replace it. How about processor?it's Core i7 but not the latest gen.
I just hope i didn't waste my money. I paid 260 pounds.

You got ripped off with 260 imo. Hard drives (especially those below 1tb) don't cost that much at all and nor does RAM :s-smilie:
16GB is really excessive, unless your doing MAJOR video editing and running multiple things at once, but that depends on your processing power as well, which does the bulk of it.
Reply 30
Original post by Sykro
You got ripped off with 260 imo. Hard drives (especially those below 1tb) don't cost that much at all and nor does RAM :s-smilie:
16GB is really excessive, unless your doing MAJOR video editing and running multiple things at once, but that depends on your processing power as well, which does the bulk of it.

But the hard drive is 512 GB SSD. I don't think it is very expensive for what it is. But maybe the RAM was a bit expensive. **** it anyways. I just hope it will work. I don't think my system needs upgrading in the first place. Most likely my hard drive is broken because of heavy usage for 3 years. I also bought a battery. Do you think it will make a major difference after I upgrade?
Original post by arminb
But the hard drive is 512 GB SSD. I don't think it is very expensive for what it is. But maybe the RAM was a bit expensive. **** it anyways. I just hope it will work. I don't think my system needs upgrading in the first place. Most likely my hard drive is broken because of heavy usage for 3 years. I also bought a battery. Do you think it will make a major difference after I upgrade?

If it's £260 total then that's a damn good deal, my SSD (only 480GB) was about £240 and that was on sale, the ram was an extra £70 or so, this was a couple years ago but still, big price difference! If you're editing anything 1080p you graphics card should be able to handle it, just might not be the fastest out there since it's integrated. You'll still see a big boost in performance tho!
Reply 32
If it's £260 total then that's a damn good deal, my SSD (only 480GB) was about £240 and that was on sale, the ram was an extra £70 or so, this was a couple years ago but still, big price difference! If you're editing anything 1080p you graphics card should be able to handle it, just might not be the fastest out there since it's integrated. You'll still see a big boost in performance tho!

Yea I also think it was a good deal. I paid £260 for SSD and 16GB RAM. I can't change the graphics card sadly :frown: . Next year I'll buy a MacPro from evay. I saw some with 64 GB and Intel Xeon processor for like £1500-2000 .So not too bad.
Original post by arminb
I saw some with 64 GB and Intel Xeon processor for like £1500-2000 .So not too bad.

64 GB Ram?! I feel like I'm getting old ...
Reply 34
Original post by Sir Fox
64 GB Ram?! I feel like I'm getting old ...

I think there's even Mac Pro with 128 gb ram. but it costs like 15k :colondollar:
Original post by arminb
I think there's even Mac Pro with 128 gb ram. but it costs like 15k :colondollar:

Apple "only" ship the Mac Pro with up to 64GB, but you can just buy a 128GB kit for a few grand and chuck that in there. The most expensive Mac Pro is £7779 for just the computer, but if you had a bit more spare change lying around you could buy all the extras Apple offer on their configuration page and bring it up to just short of £19k :ahee:
Reply 36
Yea pretty much. But it's stupid to pay that lind of money. You can build your own with half that proce with the same specs. And even make it a Hackintosch if you want Macintosh on it.
Original post by arminb
Yea pretty much. But it's stupid to pay that lind of money. You can build your own with half that proce with the same specs. And even make it a Hackintosch if you want Macintosh on it.

Yeah I was going to say when you mentioned finding a Mac Pro on eBay that a self built PC would be substantially better value, plus if you're doing professional grade work on it you can have full control over the hardware that goes into it. The Mac Pro is a marvel of engineering though, gotta give it that. There's nothing else as capable as it that you can also fit in a rucksack :ahee:
Reply 38
Just checked my hard drive speed and it was only 50-60 mb per second. It is definitely broken because HDD drive on mac is usually around 100mb. I think the SSD should make a huge difference since read/write speed is 500-500 mb.
I'm not too sure about ram but definitely it will work better than 8gb.
I also have a very stupid question if you don't mind. I also ordered a new battery because the old one was broken. Battery doesn't have any effect on performance right?
Reply 39
FML I received the RAM and the SSD but not the screwdrivers or the battery :angry:. Screw you Royal Mail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending