The Student Room Group

Writing tips.

Hey guys, so I'm studying English literature and language at the moment. We are studying the 'Food Glorious Food' anthology and we will be having an exam in May! There is a question which is worth 64 marks, this question asks you to compare two text from the whole anthology.

I really, really need some help and tips on how to make my writing sound more sophisticated! I need an A ! If anyone can help me with my writing please reply to this or message me! I don't mind :smile:
Hi monikaax!

When it comes down to making my writing sound more 'sophisticated', I really just go back to the basics.

1) vary sentence structure, punctuation and sentence starters
2) throw in some useful connectives like 'thus', 'yet' or 'indeed' but avoid the more over used GCSE ones like 'additionally' at the beginning of paragraphs and 'finally' at the end
3) mix up your diction choices a bit and learn some vocab that will get you points like using 'futile' instead of pointless. In literature there are also many specific types of terminology you can chuck in constantly
4) if you have to quote - make them embed into your sentences
5) strong intro's and conclusion are always winners with the examiner. Using 'topic sentences' to outline what you will discuss within a particular paragraph rather than zooming straight in will improve the clarity of your work.

I hope this helps people although it is quite the basic outline of a standard essay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending