The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Helzerel
Some people might be active in certain subforums and not others, e.g. materialistic posts elsewhere which will boost their postcount yet might neglect their duties here in MUN. Conversely, there could be a member who reads all threads here but only posts once or twice a day. Which one would you say is more entitled to retain their position here?

;yes;
Reply 41
I've added the poll :smile:
Reply 42
Looks like I didn't make it in time to cast my vote... not like it would have mattered in this case anyway. :wink:
Reply 43
Huzzah! (Or Chinese equivalent)
Reply 44
The timing of this is poor. You're throwing this out at a time that is the end of the semester for many Unis. IE it's finals week for a lot of people. Making sure that you score well on your final exams > MUN for a few days. There are two times a year students focus more on school than usual. I don't like the placement of this resolution at all, and if voting weren't closed, I'd vote no.
Reply 45
Surely if they plan to not be very active in the forum because of exams, they shouldn't bother joining during exams in the first place? This is only over a two week period after all.
Passed to the SC
Reply 47
I thought we agreed for admin resolutions to bypass the SC?
Nightowl
I thought we agreed for admin resolutions to bypass the SC?

Good point, ah well looks like it's passed full stop then :frown:
Reply 49
Nightowl
Surely if they plan to not be very active in the forum because of exams, they shouldn't bother joining during exams in the first place? This is only over a two week period after all.

It's it only two weeks, then wait to vote on the resolution until after finals week when more members have less responsibility. After all, the premise of this foundation is a place for students (Student Room). Why would we discourage the focus of attention on finals? I have no problem with the proposal, but rather it's timing.
Reply 50
But it doesn't affect people who are already members and have an exams week, if a student is joining here at all its best they join when they have less on their plate in the first place anyway.
Reply 51
It doesn't affect people who are already memeber because no one is gunning for them. If you take an absence for a week or so, people might raise an eyebrow, thought I doubt it, but no one is going to propose that you be removed from the MUN.
Rusty33
It's it only two weeks, then wait to vote on the resolution until after finals week when more members have less responsibility. After all, the premise of this foundation is a place for students (Student Room). Why would we discourage the focus of attention on finals? I have no problem with the proposal, but rather it's timing.

Yeh, ok, but there's a very obvious Absence Thread, and in such situations, a person could simply post a note saying that they're likely to be minimally active between such and such times.
At least this gives the impression that they take their position in the MUN seriously, and that they are aware of their responsibility and the implications of their absence.

When I first joined the MUN it was very obvious, just by taking a brief glance at various threads/comments, that there was a level of commitment expected. I don't think new people would struggle to latch onto this.
Reply 53
Craghyrax
Yeh, ok, but there's a very obvious Absence Thread, and in such situations, a person could simply post a note saying that they're likely to be minimally active between such and such times.
At least this gives the impression that they take their position in the MUN seriously, and that they are aware of their responsibility and the implications of their absence.

When I first joined the MUN it was very obvious, just by taking a brief glance at various threads/comments, that there was a level of commitment expected. I don't think new people would struggle to latch onto this.

If someone is going to be gone for a personal reason, I agree, they should let someone know. But, if someone is gone for a short time due to an obligation that we all face, they shouldn't be penalized. Just because one of us might take more time to study than others doesn't mean that that should be held against them. Finals week isn't a foreign concept to any of us, and we have all, no doubt, had semesters that are more demanding than others. Propose this resolution 2 weeks from now, and I have no quarrel with it.

Nevermind the fact that it was also proposed right around Christmas break when a large number of students are traveling for vacation or to go home for break.

Terrible, terrible timing.
Rusty33
If someone is going to be gone for a personal reason, I agree, they should let someone know. But, if someone is gone for a short time due to an obligation that we all face, they shouldn't be penalized.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm not suggesting that the MUN should have unrealistic expectations. However I don't think that this is what the resolution is about. I don't think the MUN would use this resolution to punish people for absence. I think it is targetting people who are flippant about their role. This resolution is not being acted on during this season, but merely decided on for future use. Its not difficult for students to let the MUN know they're going to be busy for a week or two, even if its for an obvious reason common to many. They wouldn't be penalized for being absent due to an important obligation, they would be penalized for not communicating the reason behind their absence; something which is a matter of courtesy really.
Reply 55
Brazil agrees that 100 posts is around the right mark.
Reply 56
cjgbr
Brazil agrees that 100 posts is around the right mark.

Whaaaaaaa?
Reply 57
I think we should have more discussions and members should be more active.
Rusty33
Whaaaaaaa?

I think he was refering to a minimum number of posts required to be able to join.

Latest

Trending

Trending