The Student Room Group

Postgrad Speech & Language Therapy 2016 Entry (PG Dip/MSc)

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone else had their interview at City? I had mine today and compared to the UCL interview I was pretty disappointed. UCL felt like a two-way process of being assessed and finding out more about the course. City was completely one-way - we were literally timed (8 mins per mini interview with a timer on the desk in front of you) which left almost no opportunity to ask questions. When I did try and squeeze in a question about course structure the interviewer was unable to answer it... There was no other opportunity to ask any questions or find out any information.

Was anyone else left feeling like this?
Original post by Melimiz
Hiya! First of all, I would like to say a huge CONGRATULATIONS to all of you on your offers, and the best of luck if you're still waiting *fingers crossed!*. I got an offer from UCL and thought it would be great to get to know some of the next "UCL Speech and Language Sciences" people, share information about funding applications/accommodation etc... so I created a FB group: UCL Speech and Language Sciences 2016. Don't hesitate to join! Can't wait to meet you in September :smile: xx

Congratulations to you too!! Anna has just added me to an official Facebook group, are you on it yet?
Original post by becomingbindy
Has anyone else had their interview at City? I had mine today and compared to the UCL interview I was pretty disappointed. UCL felt like a two-way process of being assessed and finding out more about the course. City was completely one-way - we were literally timed (8 mins per mini interview with a timer on the desk in front of you) which left almost no opportunity to ask questions. When I did try and squeeze in a question about course structure the interviewer was unable to answer it... There was no other opportunity to ask any questions or find out any information.

Hi, yes I had my interview today as well.
It was disappointing and unusual that there was no presentation about the course! I thought that we would've been given way more information. I'd definitely say UCL was the most well-structured, and City was the least. The mini multiple interviews definitely weren't as bad as I'd thought they would be. How did you find it? And have you decided if you prefer the course at City to UCL?
Reply 183

Hello! :smile: Massively agree with you about City interview. I was very disappointed as it had been very much 'up there' for me. I too felt that it was very one sided and was disappointed that there were no real opportunities to ask questions. I managed to squeeze a question (into a millisecond!!) in my final room and they weren't able to answer it either. I am sure on the email it said about having a chance to speak to the lecturers and I don't feel that was the case. It would have been great to learn more about the structure of the course and about converting it to a MSc. In some ways it has helped to make my decision about UCL easier as I didn't leave feeling hugely swayed, just quite frustrated!x
Original post by SLT16
Hello! :smile: Massively agree with you about City interview. I was very disappointed as it had been very much 'up there' for me. I too felt that it was very one sided and was disappointed that there were no real opportunities to ask questions. I managed to squeeze a question (into a millisecond!!) in my final room and they weren't able to answer it either. I am sure on the email it said about having a chance to speak to the lecturers and I don't feel that was the case. It would have been great to learn more about the structure of the course and about converting it to a MSc. In some ways it has helped to make my decision about UCL easier as I didn't leave feeling hugely swayed, just quite frustrated!x

Hiya! I probably shouldn't have read those messages before my interview because now I'm even more panicky that I wont be able to give off the impression I want to in those timed 8 minutes!! Is there any other info or advice you could offer about the day, how is it set up, how many parts of the interview and what do they entail etc? Anything that could reassure me would be great!! Sorry you felt disappointed about it, do you think it's enough to put you off the course if you get an offer? Thank youuuu, sorry for all the questions! x
Original post by SLT16

The exact same thing happened to me... I felt so unbelievably rushed and ended up talking really quickly just to try and say what I needed to say. That is no way to get the best out of people! And I was really shocked that there was no presentation or even a booklet to take away and read, and that the woman was unable to answer even a simple question about placements.

I came home and accepted my UCL place straight away - I was given a terrible impression of City!
Original post by EmiHarki
Hiya! I probably shouldn't have read those messages before my interview because now I'm even more panicky that I wont be able to give off the impression I want to in those timed 8 minutes!! Is there any other info or advice you could offer about the day, how is it set up, how many parts of the interview and what do they entail etc? Anything that could reassure me would be great!! Sorry you felt disappointed about it, do you think it's enough to put you off the course if you get an offer? Thank youuuu, sorry for all the questions! x

Put me off completely, helped me to make my mind up that UCL is definitely the right choice for me.

In terms of advice just be ready to speak under time pressure, and don't expect to get a chance to ask any questions or find out any information! Questions were really straightforward though, so just expect the obvious. There are 4 8min interviews back to back and that's it.
Put me off completely, helped me to make my mind up that UCL is definitely the right choice for me.

In terms of advice just be ready to speak under time pressure, and don't expect to get a chance to ask any questions or find out any information! Questions were really straightforward though, so just expect the obvious. There are 4 8min interviews back to back and that's it.

Ah that's gutting, City is my first choice so I hope I get a slightly better impression! Thanks for your reply, were the 4 interviews with staff, service users and clinical partners? What was the service user like, I've never dealt with that before so unsure of what to expect? Thank youuu x
Reply 188
Original post by EmiHarki
Ah that's gutting, City is my first choice so I hope I get a slightly better impression! Thanks for your reply, were the 4 interviews with staff, service users and clinical partners? What was the service user like, I've never dealt with that before so unsure of what to expect? Thank youuu x

Very best of luck. 3 rooms had members of staff and the last room had a member of staff with a service user who asked one question. I imagine the service users will change daily/ in the morning and afternoon slots. But honestly it is nothing to worry about so don't panic about that aspect. :smile: x
Original post by SLT16
Very best of luck. 3 rooms had members of staff and the last room had a member of staff with a service user who asked one question. I imagine the service users will change daily/ in the morning and afternoon slots. But honestly it is nothing to worry about so don't panic about that aspect. :smile: x

Ok brill, thanks so much! x
Reply 190
I agree with what you put forward moak11. I thought the style of the interview was very relaxed and enabled time for discussion.

Does anybody know how long City take to respond to applicants post interview? I know there are still a few batches of interviews to take place this month, but unsure whether decisions are made after all are interviewed or done on a rolling basis?
Reply 191
Original post by berad93
I agree with what you put forward moak11. I thought the style of the interview was very relaxed and enabled time for discussion.

Does anybody know how long City take to respond to applicants post interview? I know there are still a few batches of interviews to take place this month, but unsure whether decisions are made after all are interviewed or done on a rolling basis?

I believe it is in early March :smile:
Reply 192
Original post by moak11
I believe it is in early March :smile:

Such a long and daunting wait- I guess they want to be fair and make decisions once all have been interviewed.

Stupid question, but are you enjoying the course?
Reply 193
Original post by berad93
Such a long and daunting wait- I guess they want to be fair and make decisions once all have been interviewed.

Stupid question, but are you enjoying the course?

Not a stupid question at all.
Absolutely loving it.. I have had to give up so much to be here and couldn't be more thankful :smile: I'm in middle of my first placement and it makes all the lectures and hard work worth it!

Is this your first year applying?
Original post by moak11
Hi I am a postgrad student at City, and I would just like to say how much I am enjoying the course, and I really do hope that not all people are put off by comments in this forum!

There have been lots of open days and opportunities to ask questions etc about the course, but when 350 interviews are being conducted it may be slightly difficult for lecturers to spare time for questions!

If you have any questions, I am more than happy to answer.

If you are still to be interviewed.. Good luck! The lecturers are so lovely and really welcoming. Just be yourself.

:smile:

I'm sure the course is great... I've heard really good things about it and that's why I was so disappointed not to have been given a good impression by my interview. I just think it's a shame to not give candidates time to ask questions and for staff to appear unable to answer straightforward questions. I asked roughly how many placements are undertaken over the two years and the lecturer just said I'm not sure about that - she didn't even direct me to a person who could answer my question or give me any guidance as to how to find out!

Not everyone is able to go to a prior open day for every university they apply to due to distance and work commitments. As I said in a previous post even if they're stretched for time the least they could do is give out a handout with more in depth information about course structure and placements etc.
Reply 195
I'm sure the course is great... I've heard really good things about it and that's why I was so disappointed not to have been given a good impression by my interview. I just think it's a shame to not give candidates time to ask questions and for staff to appear unable to answer straightforward questions. I asked roughly how many placements are undertaken over the two years and the lecturer just said I'm not sure about that - she didn't even direct me to a person who could answer my question or give me any guidance as to how to find out!

Not everyone is able to go to a prior open day for every university they apply to due to distance and work commitments. As I said in a previous post even if they're stretched for time the least they could do is give out a handout with more in depth information about course structure and placements etc.

Fair enough. That's a shame that your interview experience wasn't what you expected. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 196
Original post by moak11
Not a stupid question at all.
Absolutely loving it.. I have had to give up so much to be here and couldn't be more thankful :smile: I'm in middle of my first placement and it makes all the lectures and hard work worth it!

Is this your first year applying?

Yes it is my first year of applying as I'm finishing my undergraduate degree this semester. Really really hope I made a good enough impression to get on, its my absolute dream. I'm frantically waiting for that email!

How are you finding the placements? I think that's that main reason why I find SLT so fascinating, it stretches across a huge span of client settings.
Reply 197
Hey :smile: I've also accepted a place at Sheffield, what's the name of the facebook group? Would be great to join and chat to you guys :smile:
Reply 198
Any other lurkers on this thread who are going to Reading next year?
Reply 199
Original post by berad93
Oh my gosh, congratulations! You must be so excited. Will you move there?

May I ask what date your interview at Essex was?

Sorry for the late reply, i am beyond excited. Hard to believe its real now, was really not expecting to get on one this year as this is the first time ive applied. Yes i will defo move down there, although i live just over an hour away so can stay at home sometimes if placement is closer to there. My interview date was on the 28th January

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending