The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Like United have a problem with HG players.
If the price is similar to Clyne then Darmian might not be a bad signing - haven't seen him for Torino but didn't do too badly when playing against England in 2014.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No idea who he is. The fact he's from Serie A concerns me a little.
Original post by Aky786UK
If the price is similar to Clyne then Darmian might not be a bad signing - haven't seen him for Torino but didn't do too badly when playing against England in 2014.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought he looked decent enough at the WC but I'm very wary of using that as a way of judging players. We've been burnt by that before.

Tbh he's an actual RB who can stay fit so thats good enough for me. We've never had an Italian first team player either (Macheda doesn't really count).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, he's pretty good in the air so he has that going for us. Pretty tough as well.
Original post by sr90
Lets be honest nobody here watches Torino so comparisons are pointless. I'm just looking forward to us having an actual RB for the first time in 2 years. No more Jones, Smalling and Valencia out of position!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I liked Smalling at RB though.
Original post by jam277

Dude can't cross to save his life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277

Not sure if serious

Smalling is terrible at right back, so bad.

Looks like Bamby on ice whenever he has played there.
Original post by sr90
I thought he looked decent enough at the WC but I'm very wary of using that as a way of judging players. We've been burnt by that before.

Tbh he's an actual RB who can stay fit so thats good enough for me. We've never had an Italian first team player either (Macheda doesn't really count).

Posted from TSR Mobile

But Macheda won you the league :frown:
My word. People are crazy hard to please in here. We're signing one of the most highly rated RBs in Italy for a peanuts fee of about £12 mill and he'll be on miniscule wages of 48k p/w.

This is all from those in Italy that broke the deal.

How can anyone not be happy? He's not old. Not injury prone. It's being touted in Italy as an absolute steal. No one can be sure a foreign signing will work out, but this is about as low risk financially as it gets.

On another note, reports breaking in Spain tonight Real are hours away from signing goal keeper Kiko Casillas for 3 mill euros. Make of that what you will.
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't be surprised if we do hold DDG to see him sign another contract with a gentleman's clause. People talk about letting your deal elapse as if its nothing, but massively so for a goalkeeper, its a real risk. If DDG lets his deal run, and then suffers a big injury in Dec for example, say a knee like Valdes, where would that leave him? That 200k p/w isn't going to be on the table here, and Real might not want to sign a goalkeeper who may or may not get back to peak form 12 months later. I think it would be insurance for him to sign a deal so he knows he's getting paid, but if Real come in he's not tied in the same way.

That said, Real's deal might not mean all that much. If Navas came in to fight for the number 1 spot, much like Ospina at Arsenal. The departure of Casillas and the arrival of DDG could just signal he's on permanent bench duty, so the new signing could just be his replacement.
Original post by Zerforax
But Macheda won you the league :frown:

That game was on my 18th birthday, couldn't have asked for a better present! Its funny how that was the only thing he ever did for us, had such high hopes for him as well :frown:

Apparently Sky Italia are saying Darmian will only be on 27k, I find that impossible to believe. Even the likes of Tyler Blackett and Nick Powell will be earning more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Darmain deal is a great bit of business. Can't really go wrong with the price + wage we've paid for him.
Darmian is Italian? That's all I need to know. I'm sold.
To be honest, I just hope we get any deals completed this week. Cannot wait any longer :frown:
Now lets wrap up the signings of Schneiderlin and Ramos.

Muppetmode activated :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really do hope we match the bid that Southampton want for Schneiderlin, he'll fit in perfectly! :u:
Depay, Darmian, Otamendi and Schneiderlin would be a damn good summer if you ask me. Throw in De Gea staying and possibly another striker and there's absolutely no reason why we can't challenge Chelsea for the title. We'd have good depth in most positions too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Now lets wrap up the signings of Schneiderlin and Ramos.

Spoiler

Am I missing something here? If I am, please refer me to the correct situation. But this is how I see it.

Last season was a very disappointing season. When you have the largest transfer budget in the league, and sign six new players worth over 160M, to finish 4th and 17 points behind the leaders is so very disappointing when two years ago the club won the league by 11 points.

The manager is on a three year contract. His task, as set out in Summer 2014, was to deliver the Premier League title. He has already had one season, so 3-1=2. So he has two years left to win the league title.

Louis Van Gaal currently has the lowest win percentage of his career having won 52.27% of games at Manchester United. The second lowest is 53.33 at Netherlands and during his second spell at Barcelona. Surely therefore, the club needs massive transfer enforcements this summer to ensure that his target is met either this year or next year?

So my question to the house is, why is it muppet mode to want Sergio Ramos and Morgan Schneiderlin? Surely the absolute bare bare BARE BARE minimum is four players? For the club to start the new season without an RB, CB, CDM and a striker would be an astonishing lack of incompetence from the management and the board. And you can make that five players if Dave leaves, as Valdes alone isn't good enough.

I'm very concerned. We're ten days away from our first pre-season game, and one month away from playing against Tottenham Hotspur and yet only Depay has arrived. Liverpool have made most of their signings already.

I'm not going to comment on individual players as I read different things each day, but these stories must come from somewhere. It can't just be the case that a man arrives for work at the Daily Mail and says "Right, who can we make up a story about today". That's irrational. There must be at least SOME basis to stories about Kane, or Ramos, or Schweinsteiger.

The bottom line for me is, not treble or sacked as Hayles believes I believe, but he has to win a trophy this season. Two seasons without a trophy, for the first time ever since the PL begun was very disappointing. He needs 4/5 players and a trophy this season.

So that's how I see it. If it's unreasonable, please tell me why and I'll be happy to debate, but for me, that's a sensible balanced view given the size and stature of the club. And if we don't want to 'settle for 4th' every year, that's how it has to be.
(edited 8 years ago)
I was wondering when that profile was going to be revived.

Latest