The Student Room Group

Changing my university course, twice

I first came to university to study a Biological Science. However, as my first year went on I became increasingly depressed and thought that I'd picked the wrong course, so I decided to transfer to a Life Science course and start over from year one. I've been doing the new course for almost a year now, and I'm finding it quite easy, but now that my depression has been fixed, I realise that my original course absolutely did not cause my depression; it's just that when you're depressed, it feels like everything is wrong with your life. The problem is, I deeply regret dropping out of the course I'd once dreamt of studying and really wish I could go back. (I know, I know, I'm rolling my eyes at myself right now.) I really want to discuss this with my personal tutor, but I'm wondering if that's going to sound too ridiculous, at this point.
Still, what do you guys think? Do I stand a chance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 9 years ago)
You could swap back but then student finance might ask you to self fund for a year. I m sure there d be someway it would be possible albeit a bit difficult to do :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mattsmithrad
I first came to university to study a Biological Science. However, as my first year went on I became increasingly depressed and thought that I'd picked the wrong course, so I decided to transfer to a Life Science course and start over from year one. I've been doing the new course for almost a year now, and I'm finding it quite easy, but now that my depression has been fixed, I realise that my original course absolutely did not cause my depression; it's just that when you're depressed, it feels like everything is wrong with your life. The problem is, I deeply regret dropping out of the course I'd once dreamt of studying and really wish I could go back. (I know, I know, I'm rolling my eyes at myself right now.) I really want to discuss this with my personal tutor, but I'm wondering if that's going to sound too ridiculous, at this point.
Still, what do you guys think? Do I stand a chance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I did pretty much the exact same thing! I did psychology for a year, dropped out and started to do sport science, but transferred directly into the second year of psychology at another university. So I ended up at university for 4 years. I thought I hated psychology but it was really just the university. Are you happy with your university? That may be the problem. I'm sure they would let you transfer internally. It happens more than you'd think. A friend of mine on my course did almost the same thing. She studied psychology for a year, then pharmacology, then went straight into her second year of psychology.
Reply 3
Original post by o-glez
I did pretty much the exact same thing! I did psychology for a year, dropped out and started to do sport science, but transferred directly into the second year of psychology at another university. So I ended up at university for 4 years. I thought I hated psychology but it was really just the university. Are you happy with your university? That may be the problem. I'm sure they would let you transfer internally. It happens more than you'd think. A friend of mine on my course did almost the same thing. She studied psychology for a year, then pharmacology, then went straight into her second year of psychology.

Wow, thanks, o-glez! It's good to know that this has been done before. :smile:
The university is not the problem in my case (the ability to make decisions obviously is, though :biggrin:). I like the course I'm currently on, but at the same time I really miss the one I did last year. I wish my university offered a joint course in Psychology and Nutrition, but sadly it doesn't.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
You could swap back but then student finance might ask you to self fund for a year. I m sure there d be someway it would be possible albeit a bit difficult to do :smile:

Thanks a lot for your comment, claireestelle. I agree, it's probably going to be difficult to change back, but I'm willing to try (I think). I was just really interested to see how people would react to my situation to know roughly what to expect when I speak to my PT about it.
Reply 5
Original post by mattsmithrad
Wow, thanks, o-glez! It's good to know that this has been done before. :smile:
The university is not the problem in my case (the ability to make decisions obviously is, though :biggrin:). I like the course I'm currently on, but at the same time I really miss the one I did last year. I wish my university offered a joint course in Psychology and Nutrition, but sadly it doesn't.

Yeah it definitely can be done :smile: at the end of the day, the university would want you to stay there and continue paying tuition fees. So they want you to be on a course that you're happy with. (Maybe that's the wrong way of looking at it ).

Quick Reply

Latest