The Student Room Group

Those who lived/lives at home for uni

I am planning to live at home when I start university this year. I would like to know from past or current students who lived at home, how long you had to travel to university? Did you have to travel everyday? (I know this differs depending on the uni). Do you have any regrets about living at home? Was it so tiring commuting that you just missed half of your lectures? Did you find that you missed out on making friends and having the typical uni social life? Did you find it difficult doing assignments of group presentations etc due to how far you lived from class mates? You don't need to answer all of these questions but please do if you can. Any responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by r-t
I am planning to live at home when I start university this year. I would like to know from past or current students who lived at home, how long you had to travel to university? Did you have to travel everyday? (I know this differs depending on the uni). Do you have any regrets about living at home? Was it so tiring commuting that you just missed half of your lectures? Did you find that you missed out on making friends and having the typical uni social life? Did you find it difficult doing assignments of group presentations etc due to how far you lived from class mates? You don't need to answer all of these questions but please do if you can. Any responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya, I lived at home for uni I travelled about 25minutes on the bus into uni. However my uni was closer than my senior school so I couldn't really justify moving out. It was definitely not tiring traveling and I didn't miss any lectures but I studied law so I didn't have a huge amount of contact hours. If I did want to stay late in the library in later years with dissertations etc I would stay at my boyfriends house. For nights out I would just get a taxi home or find a friend to stay with. I think it was a bit different for me as must of my friends lived at home so we all got taxis etc after nights out. I think it really depends how far you think far is. I was really close so it was never a problem. Any other questions let me know :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lyrical_lie
Hiya, I lived at home for uni I travelled about 25minutes on the bus into uni. However my uni was closer than my senior school so I couldn't really justify moving out. It was definitely not tiring traveling and I didn't miss any lectures but I studied law so I didn't have a huge amount of contact hours. If I did want to stay late in the library in later years with dissertations etc I would stay at my boyfriends house. For nights out I would just get a taxi home or find a friend to stay with. I think it was a bit different for me as must of my friends lived at home so we all got taxis etc after nights out. I think it really depends how far you think far is. I was really close so it was never a problem. Any other questions let me know :smile:

Ok thanks, the good thing was you were 25 minutes away where as my uni is about an hour and a half away. I have to take about a 20 min bus and then the train for 21 stops. I don't know whether I'd be able to do this for a few days a week but then I assume a lot more people travel even further away from me. I live in London so the public transport is good but I'm just abit worried about it because my high school was pretty near by so I don't know how I'll adjust to being further away by that much. But then I've heard that a lot of people live at home in London as you're not guaranteed accomodation and it's too expensive so I'm hoping I end up finding a travel buddy who lives near me because I've seen a couple of people saying they'll be commuting aswell but yeh I don't know haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t

Posted from TSR Mobile

I lived at home in the first year, I did the commute everyday, however, I only travelled from within the same city. It took me about 40 minutes to get there (walking to the bus stop, bus ride and then walking to uni) in total. I then got my own car (part the reason for staying home was to save for a car) and took me about 10/15 minutes to commute in depending on traffic (a 9am lecture would rocket that time to about half an hour).
Did I regret it? No. But that's because I'm not one for going out all the time anyway, and even when I did, I was only a short taxi ride from home anyway. I also have 2 friends in the friendship group that commute (both from different cities), one takes an hour and a half and one takes about 45 minutes.
Miss lectures? Nope! Only ever missed the ones I intended to miss anyway. Yes it was a pain to get up earlier than most others and commute in but you soon get used to it. I found it more of a pain to get back home if I'm honest because I was going from the city centre so buses were busy. Obviously that problem soon went once having my own car. :smile:
Difficult with social life? Nope because most of us would do things before/after uni anyway and otherwise I could easily commute into uni again later on if need be.
Assignments and projects, again, most the time we would arrange to do it before or after lectures because it just makes it easier so that no one is going into uni, to go home again, and then back to uni, or simply coming in for a quick meeting. But even so, your group should be able to coordinate with you so that it works for everyone as people always have other commitments like other coursework/job and things like that.

I know there is the stereotype of 'living at home = no friends/terrible uni lifestyle etc' but it isn't true if you don't let it be. I spoke to one of my friends (another commuter) on Facebook beforehand. We had both joined a group for commuters and found we were doing the same subject so got talking. You have to make a little more effort yes, but remember that the people in halls aren't with their subject group. Everyone is in the same boat for lectures, having to use social media to get to know people beforehand or going in blind beforehand but it's easy to get talking to people at the start, just casually get talking to someone!

The only reason I don't live at home completely now (I technically do) is because I spend a lot of time at my boyfriends house.
Reply 4
Original post by gemmatovey
I lived at home in the first year, I did the commute everyday, however, I only travelled from within the same city. It took me about 40 minutes to get there (walking to the bus stop, bus ride and then walking to uni) in total. I then got my own car (part the reason for staying home was to save for a car) and took me about 10/15 minutes to commute in depending on traffic (a 9am lecture would rocket that time to about half an hour).
Did I regret it? No. But that's because I'm not one for going out all the time anyway, and even when I did, I was only a short taxi ride from home anyway. I also have 2 friends in the friendship group that commute (both from different cities), one takes an hour and a half and one takes about 45 minutes.
Miss lectures? Nope! Only ever missed the ones I intended to miss anyway. Yes it was a pain to get up earlier than most others and commute in but you soon get used to it. I found it more of a pain to get back home if I'm honest because I was going from the city centre so buses were busy. Obviously that problem soon went once having my own car. :smile:
Difficult with social life? Nope because most of us would do things before/after uni anyway and otherwise I could easily commute into uni again later on if need be.
Assignments and projects, again, most the time we would arrange to do it before or after lectures because it just makes it easier so that no one is going into uni, to go home again, and then back to uni, or simply coming in for a quick meeting. But even so, your group should be able to coordinate with you so that it works for everyone as people always have other commitments like other coursework/job and things like that.

I know there is the stereotype of 'living at home = no friends/terrible uni lifestyle etc' but it isn't true if you don't let it be. I spoke to one of my friends (another commuter) on Facebook beforehand. We had both joined a group for commuters and found we were doing the same subject so got talking. You have to make a little more effort yes, but remember that the people in halls aren't with their subject group. Everyone is in the same boat for lectures, having to use social media to get to know people beforehand or going in blind beforehand but it's easy to get talking to people at the start, just casually get talking to someone!

The only reason I don't live at home completely now (I technically do) is because I spend a lot of time at my boyfriends house.

Oh ok thanks for that detailed response. I also have a car aswell which I drive to school but doubt I'd be able to drive to uni being in London and morning rush hours, the uni also doesn't have a car park. You mentioned that you had a friend who travelled for an hour and a half, was this difficult for them or did they also not mind like yourself? Yeh I know I'm going to have to make more of an effort because not everything's handed down on a plate to you I suppose and uni life is what you make of it. The fact that hopefully class mates will work around each other is also a good thing aswell. I'm also not the type to regularly go out and drink etc which is one of the reasons I'm choosing to live at home. Hopefully I will be able to find someone who lives near me during the beginning of the first year of uni as travelling with someone else goes by much quicker than going solo. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Oh ok thanks for that detailed response. I also have a car aswell which I drive to school but doubt I'd be able to drive to uni being in London and morning rush hours, the uni also doesn't have a car park. You mentioned that you had a friend who travelled for an hour and a half, was this difficult for them or did they also not mind like yourself? Yeh I know I'm going to have to make more of an effort because not everything's handed down on a plate to you I suppose and uni life is what you make of it. The fact that hopefully class mates will work around each other is also a good thing aswell. I'm also not the type to regularly go out and drink etc which is one of the reasons I'm choosing to live at home. Hopefully I will be able to find someone who lives near me during the beginning of the first year of uni as travelling with someone else goes by much quicker than going solo. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes, being in London might mean you're better off with public transport there but then the public transport there is also a lot better than where I am!
From what I know, he drives to the station his end, gets the train to here and then a bus from the station to uni. I think it is sometimes a bit of a pain for him when there are delays and things but he's commuting again this year (second year) and next year so I'm assuming he doesn't mind it too much! Last year he very rarely missed lectures and would come in for APT (one hour) and then wait about 5 hours for our two hour lecture!

That would be great if you can find someone! If not, commuting isn't terrible and what I used to do (as mentioned before) was hang out with my friends before or after lectures so that its just a matter of us all coming in earlier (as there are 2 other commuters) or leaving later so it didn't put anyone out too much.
Commuting can also give you the chance to do some reading before or after a lecture, either from books or your notes which can be helpful (something I miss from getting the bus)
I'm in first year and I travel to university from home. It isn't so bad, the uni is only a 25 minute drive away...just a straight drive down a motorway and boom I'm there :smile: Prior to getting my car though, the university has it's own bus service just for uni students and that comes every half hour, with the bus its 45 minutes so not too bad. :h:
Reply 7
Original post by gemmatovey
Ah yes, being in London might mean you're better off with public transport there but then the public transport there is also a lot better than where I am!
From what I know, he drives to the station his end, gets the train to here and then a bus from the station to uni. I think it is sometimes a bit of a pain for him when there are delays and things but he's commuting again this year (second year) and next year so I'm assuming he doesn't mind it too much! Last year he very rarely missed lectures and would come in for APT (one hour) and then wait about 5 hours for our two hour lecture!

That would be great if you can find someone! If not, commuting isn't terrible and what I used to do (as mentioned before) was hang out with my friends before or after lectures so that its just a matter of us all coming in earlier (as there are 2 other commuters) or leaving later so it didn't put anyone out too much.
Commuting can also give you the chance to do some reading before or after a lecture, either from books or your notes which can be helpful (something I miss from getting the bus)

Yeh I was thinking of doing some reason during the train journey. Hopefully I won't have to wait 5 hours in between but it just depends on the time table I suppose. Hopefully I'll find friends to hang around with before and after aswell. You're posts have been very helpful. Good luck with any studies you have :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
so it's an an hour and a half away on the train each way thats 3 hours traveling a day thats not a good commute my uni was closer then that and I Lived in halls I know that leaving home may seem frightening but it's a step we all must take at some point think about what halls means to help you I have concocted a little list the good and bad points about halls ,

THE GOOD
1. You are stuck in with a group of strangers (most people are nice)
2. Everybody is in the same boat.
3. It's a shrot walk to Uni ( or bus ride depending on uni)
4. You have a group of people to go out with pre-maid.
5. You will lean valubel life skills.
6. You will have a good social life and a pre-maid conversation starter (What halls do you live in?).
7. You can play games like kitchen tennis or halls cricket.
8. You will save money on travel.
7. an hour and a half commute both ways is a killer.
8. You can have fun exploring your new soundings.
9 . it's a secure environment to learn how to live away from home.

The Bad
1. You are stuck in with a group of strangers (some people are bastards).
2. You may feel a little lost at first (this passes fast thought).

so thats it. See the pro's out way the cons so it's up to you but i would go in to halls if i was you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks for the list but the thing is as I already live in London and my university is in London, the chances are that I wouldn't get accomodation and I wouldn't be want to live privately due to the expense which I don't see the point of paying when I already have a home in London. I also wouldn't be attending uni everyday I don't think so it wouldn't be 3 hours a day and there are many people in our school who travel that amount of time to get to and back to school every single day. I'm just not a very social person and know that I would struggle greatly without the support of my family. Thank you for your reply though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Thanks for the list but the thing is as I already live in London and my university is in London, the chances are that I wouldn't get accomodation and I wouldn't be want to live privately due to the expense which I don't see the point of paying when I already have a home in London. I also wouldn't be attending uni everyday I don't think so it wouldn't be 3 hours a day and there are many people in our school who travel that amount of time to get to and back to school every single day. I'm just not a very social person and know that I would struggle greatly without the support of my family. Thank you for your reply though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh dude that's up to you I have just one more thing to say on the matter and this is just if you change your mind. there are usually a few no shows In halls so if you change your mind go to you Accomdation office they will probley be able to sort you out we had a girl that left after day 1 so that's a good safety net for you if you change your mind good luck in your studys.
Reply 11
Original post by New- Emperor
oh dude that's up to you I have just one more thing to say on the matter and this is just if you change your mind. there are usually a few no shows In halls so if you change your mind go to you Accomdation office they will probley be able to sort you out we had a girl that left after day 1 so that's a good safety net for you if you change your mind good luck in your studys.

Oh thanks for that I'll consider it. How would I apply for student finance to live out last after I've received my payments though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i am not quite shore but i think you have to contact the student lone company ad tell them that your circumstances have changed
Original post by r-t

Posted from TSR Mobile

I travelled to uni for my full degree in total it took me about an hour and a half and I don't regret it at all. You definitely need to make a little more effort for social things but I never let that suffer luckily I had friends in the city my uni was in to let me stay at their flats and as my course went on I made friends and stayed at theirs for nights out.
I was lucky and most semesters only had to be in uni three days a week so used the other two to continue my part time job I had had since school. As for group assignments you usually find if they are from the same course their timetables are similar and so you are in the same days anyway and can arrange to meet before or after classes! It was quite tiring and I occasionally missed early classes but mostly because of my laziness getting out of bed! It's definitely doable xx
I am from Sheffield and am planning to stay home next year. Just the expenses of it all are really my reasons, I'm just hoping not to miss out on the social side really, and this thread has actually not made me feel bad, so I guess that's alright.

Also, as I am doing a language degree I will be abroad in my third year anyway and will also probably be doing an extra summer abroad too, so I thought I wouldn't be missing out completely on the experience of independence etc.

Anyway, yeah I'm just hoping it won't affect me negatively etc and try and join as many societies as I can and hopefully meet a few people who are home students too. Anyway we will see.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
[QUOTE="samcarnall;55359671"]
Original post by r-t
I am from Sheffield and am planning to stay home next year. Just the expenses of it all are really my reasons, I'm just hoping not to miss out on the social side really, and this thread has actually not made me feel bad, so I guess that's alright.

Also, as I am doing a language degree I will be abroad in my third year anyway and will also probably be doing an extra summer abroad too, so I thought I wouldn't be missing out completely on the experience of independence etc.

Anyway, yeah I'm just hoping it won't affect me negatively etc and try and join as many societies as I can and hopefully meet a few people who are home students too. Anyway we will see.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh I'm hoping to meet home students aswell (well any students actually haha) but I don't know about Sheffield but with London there are quite a lot of people that live at home at uni due to lack of availability. I'm hoping to get involved with a lot of societies aswell, hopefully they will help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="r-t;55364075"]
Original post by samcarnall

Yeh I'm hoping to meet home students aswell (well any students actually haha) but I don't know about Sheffield but with London there are quite a lot of people that live at home at uni due to lack of availability. I'm hoping to get involved with a lot of societies aswell, hopefully they will help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

AW yeah well good luckkkkkk!
I live in London and my preferred uni is also in London. Would it be worth moving out?
Reply 18
Original post by Gazzaaa
I live in London and my preferred uni is also in London. Would it be worth moving out?

You probably wouldn't get it due to already being in London and private accomodation is really expensive so if you'd be willing to pay then go for it. What uni is it for if I may ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
[QUOTE="samcarnall;55364263"]
Original post by r-t

AW yeah well good luckkkkkk!

Thanks you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending