The Student Room Group

Everything wrong with Student Finance

So it's not a secret that student finance has some issues that are deemed unfair or just things that need to be sorted out in order for it to be run better. For example, the fact that they expect those from middle income families to give money to the student without taking other things into consideration etc. I know these may be controversial, but try and keep it nice and friendly.

I just thought it would be interesting to think about the way student finance can be unfair to some (as I don't personally think it's unfair for me) and maybe too generous for others.

I also personally think that the way the loans and grants are paid out would be better if it were done monthly, as when you have a job, they usually don't pay you every 3/4 months, but monthly. It would help students ease into the transition of being a student to going into full-time work.
And here I was thinking people would find this thread interesting... :biggrin: awks.
As a parent I am concerned that the dates when the first accommodation fees and deposit are due before my son will receive his maintenance loan. Anyone know when the loan is paid out?
From what I know and what I've seen, the only people who complained about the money they were receiving were people who 100% didn't need grants and needed small loans. I have a few loaded friends and they complained that they wanted loans even though they knew they didn't need them and their parents had more than enough moeny to support them. In this case, I saw absolutely no reason to sympathise with them considering I have friends whose parents earn less than 15k a year and are struggling to get by.
Reply 4
Original post by EllainKahlo
From what I know and what I've seen, the only people who complained about the money they were receiving were people who 100% didn't need grants and needed small loans. I have a few loaded friends and they complained that they wanted loans even though they knew they didn't need them and their parents had more than enough moeny to support them. In this case, I saw absolutely no reason to sympathise with them considering I have friends whose parents earn less than 15k a year and are struggling to get by.

Didn't they? Can you say for certain that every loaded parent supported their children in university?
Original post by Reue
Didn't they? Can you say for certain that every loaded parent supported their children in university?

I never said that. Which is why I was only talking about my loaded friends.
Reply 6
I never said that. Which is why I was only talking about my loaded friends.

I appreciate that, but we have to look at the bigger picture when deciding policy such as who gets funding and who doesn't. Personally I feel it is unfair to judge someone's entitlement based upon their parent's income. There's no gaurantee that the parents will support their adult child... or that the parent's even have a high level of disposable income anyway.
My Parents both work two jobs which puts me in the highest income category (In scotland anyway) but my parents don;t want to support me (not out of malice, purely from the fact that I'm 18 and should be independent) ts puts me in a predicament of my loan not covering very much, but a part time job can sort it out easily.
Original post by Reue
I appreciate that, but we have to look at the bigger picture when deciding policy such as who gets funding and who doesn't. Personally I feel it is unfair to judge someone's entitlement based upon their parent's income. There's no gaurantee that the parents will support their adult child... or that the parent's even have a high level of disposable income anyway.

I don't. I don't believe the system is perfect however simply asking students whether their parents are going to be supporting them or not, as a means to seeing how much money they should be given, is a recipe for disaster. I'm saying this because I know first-hand what students around me were trying to do to trick the system into giving them more such as giving them addresses they don't live at and fiddling with their 'supposed' income. If you think you've got the solution, you should tell student finance.
Reply 9
If you think you've got the solution, you should tell student finance.

No need, my idea of removing grants and boosting loan amount is already going to be implemented :smile:
Original post by Reue
No need, my idea of removing grants and boosting loan amount is already going to be implemented :smile:

Then this was a pointless discussion for us to have.
Reply 11
Then this was a pointless discussion for us to have.

Most of the discussion on here is for things that have already happened or are going to happen, doesnt make it pointless to discuss it. Surely that is the point of forums?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending