The Student Room Group

Mother keeps opening my letters...

I'm an 18 year old girl who currently lives at home. I get quite a few letters during the week such as my phone bill, my my bank account statement etc. I am moving out very soon but in the meantime my mother keeps opening my letters and it's really irritating me. She has the audacity to open them and stack them somewhere without telling me or open them and leave them on the dinner table. I've spoken to her about opening my letters and she's claimed its her house and she can do what she wants. Like literally the letters will come in she'll take them all and open them all (mine included) in front of me. I do get home before her on most days so I am able to just pick up my letters but today before I left home I took some papers out of my bag and put them on the sofa. Guess what. A letter was included in those papers. I come home to find the papers stacked neatly on the table with the letter that I hadn't even opened that hadn't come through the letterbox opened on top of the neatly stacked papers. I'm considering just opening all her letters and leaving them in random places seeing as Id probably have the chance to intercept the majority of them anyway. Petty but I don't care.
It's illegal for someone to open your post without your permission.

If your mum refuses to stop then either report her (or at least threaten to) and switch to paperless bills/bank statements so she has less to open in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That would piss me off massively

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
I'm an 18 year old girl who currently lives at home. I get quite a few letters during the week such as my phone bill, my my bank account statement etc. I am moving out very soon but in the meantime my mother keeps opening my letters and it's really irritating me. She has the audacity to open them and stack them somewhere without telling me or open them and leave them on the dinner table. I've spoken to her about opening my letters and she's claimed its her house and she can do what she wants. Like literally the letters will come in she'll take them all and open them all (mine included) in front of me. I do get home before her on most days so I am able to just pick up my letters but today before I left home I took some papers out of my bag and put them on the sofa. Guess what. A letter was included in those papers. I come home to find the papers stacked neatly on the table with the letter that I hadn't even opened that hadn't come through the letterbox opened on top of the neatly stacked papers. I'm considering just opening all her letters and leaving them in random places seeing as Id probably have the chance to intercept the majority of them anyway. Petty but I don't care.

I would slap her, doing it blatantly in front your face is a provocation.
Not a peep out of dad?
Switch what you can to paperless but that is ridiculous, maybe opening your mums post would be a good last resort
Deal till yo move out. My mother does the same, blatantly disrespects me and then says "it's her house." And there's no reasoning what
so
ever.
She could be jealous of you moving up in the world while her life is pretty much bowtied and shipped out :h:
http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/outbound-mail/mail-collect/details

This is a free service that keeps post addressed to you at the delivery office which you can then pick up. More hassle for you but it doesn't sound like she'll stop.
Reply 8
Original post by Jezebelle
http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/outbound-mail/mail-collect/details

This is a free service that keeps post addressed to you at the delivery office which you can then pick up. More hassle for you but it doesn't sound like she'll stop.

This is SOO useful thank you so much!
Reply 9
Original post by thisistheend
I would slap her, doing it blatantly in front your face is a provocation.

Lool she even questions me about the content of the letters and starts arguments over my spending.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending