The Student Room Group

Do non-white Brits feel like guests in Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Placement_stud
That's how you feel but I've seen and heard attitudes to the contrary. You're really talking about racism, not immigration if you're saying Brits prefer white immigrants to non-whites whose parents even were born here. Repeating or should I say adopting divisive terms like 'guest' also doesn't help your cause. How can you be a guest somewhere you lived your whole life or belong to somewhere you've never been before? Yes, people make you feel unwelcome but your attitude is within your control so ultimately you decide whether you belong or not.

So I decide how people treat me? So youre saying I can control the mindset of British people... Ok lad back to smoking your drugs. You can feel unwelcome in your own house if you have issues with your family, yet still have nowhere to go. Apply that example to this topic.. I am trying to dumb it down for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
So I decide how people treat me? So youre saying I can control the mindset of British people... Ok lad back to smoking your drugs. You can feel unwelcome in your own house if you have issues with your family, yet still have nowhere to go. Apply that example to this topic.. I am trying to dumb it down for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where's this pissy, aggressive attitude coming from? Was this secretly a circle jerk thread for people who shared your (obviously) sensitive feelings? If you just want validation then don't pretend you want to hear other people's opinions.

Back to the point. I used the word GUEST specifically. Being unwelcome does not equate to being a guest, is my point. You can't control how people treat you but you can reconcile those feelings as to how they will shape who you are and how you deal with problems. Plenty of people who have experienced the same problem don't feel that way so actually it is down to individual response/ self esteem/ attitudes whether people feel at ease in who they are.
Original post by Depleted
I clearly meant methaporically...

Well the idea that the 'far right' are likely to be able to deport anywhere near about 5+ million foreigners is completely unrealistic. I mean - what are they actually going to do - go round to a house, knock on the door and politely say, "Excuse me, we would like to deport you. Please proceed to the nearest airport"/

I mean - if you just closed the door, or walked outside and went to the pub/snookerhall/theatre/gym/nearest museum/tube stop etc. they're hardly going to know. There's no way these people could actually monitor the whereabouts of every foreigner either.
Original post by Bill_Gates
You've chosen the NUMBER 1 PRIME EXAMPLE which you shouldn't of, Japan has failed due to a lack of immigration, its downfall was due to an increasing age of its population and lack of tax revenues from its working population which diminished since it closed it's doors.

This has all the traits of a Ponzi scheme, and the Japanese are smart enough to see the long term consequences.

Japan is ageing, but the place isn't getting any poorer btw. Productivity gains can 100% negate the effects of an ageing populace
Reply 64
Original post by Placement_stud
Where's this pissy, aggressive attitude coming from? Was this secretly a circle jerk thread for people who shared your (obviously) sensitive feelings? If you just want validation then don't pretend you want to hear other people's opinions.

Back to the point. I used the word GUEST specifically. Being unwelcome does not equate to being a guest, is my point. You can't control how people treat you but you can reconcile those feelings as to how they will shape who you are and how you deal with problems. Plenty of people who have experienced the same problem don't feel that way so actually it is down to individual response/ self esteem/ attitudes whether people feel at ease in who they are.

I really just have to laugh at how thick you are by "guest" I meant not being accepted by the "host" (so to speak) it was used as a euphemism which clearly people understood (except you). And I didnt know posting a topic on TSR was the equivalent of launching a civil rights movement as you seem to think this is extreme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
I really just have to laugh at how thick you are by "guest" I meant not being accepted by the "host" (so to speak) it was used as a euphemism which clearly people understood (except you). And I didnt know posting a topic on TSR was the equivalent of launching a civil rights movement as you seem to think this is extreme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly it's not a euphemism. Secondly, I don't know where civil rights came in, this touchy feely thread is your own design - so yeah I'd say by your hostile responses you take it pretty seriously. I know exactly what that language represents - it's the word the far right use to strip ethnics of their British identity and make them feel it is not their country too. So like I said at the beginning, why you want to adopt that same thinking is beyond me. They made you feel like this isn't your country despite you being born here. I'd say their intentions were pretty successful because now you feel displaced. If you don't see how much of a weak, fool that makes you then actually I'm the one laughing.

Have fun finding yourself bro.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well I'm Black British, born in London. I get the vibe the the whole immigrant thing is propaganda to the max. I do notice that we have a habit of separating ourselves sometimes and not real helping each other mix. I don't feel British, never have tbh. Don't know if that's because I'm from a first generation immigrant family or because of how society treats ethnic minorities. What I do know it's hard to feel like you belong when your already separated regardless of what people say. if you get what I mean
Reply 67
Original post by _icecream
If you don't mind me asking what makes you want to leave?

Most of the time, I love being in this country. I don't for a second take for granted the freedom we have. But at times, I've been made to feel as if I'm still foreign. The truth of the matter is, people see ethnicity first, nationality second (metaphorically- I realise as I typed that, there is a literal truth to that). When you own friends don't consider you to be a 'proper Brit', it's quite deflating. At the same time, I don't feel I belong anywhere else. The UK is all I've known.
I feel like I know the language better than some of the white British people. Since I got an A* at GCSE whilst some have failed the subject.
I feel more British than I do Nigerian. I've never felt like a guest, and I feel more uncomfortable around people of a different social class than I do when around people of a different race, simply because I share more in common with working class people of any race. That being said, I do feel a bit self-conscious if I'm the only black person in the room, but that's really only if racial topics come up. I'm certainly happier living here than I would be in Nigeria. There are racists, sure, but it's not half as bad as America, or Asia, or most other European countries.
Original post by T.I.P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe the word you are looking for is "metaphor".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arithmeticae
tfw someone said to me 'go back to india you paki'

legit lol'd

Maybe he meant go back to pre-partition India :lol:
Original post by Zürich
This has all the traits of a Ponzi scheme, and the Japanese are smart enough to see the long term consequences.

Japan is ageing, but the place isn't getting any poorer btw. Productivity gains can 100% negate the effects of an ageing populace

you just got school'd brah this was a weak response and we both know it.

Leave the economics to the pro's brah.
Original post by T.I.P
Born and raised here, still feel like Im in someone else's house tbh, but thats down to being purposely made to feel that way, I didnt notice it as a kid, I felt proud to be British and thought I was equal, but in my adult life I clocked on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely get what you mean man, it's the same in the community my family belong to as well. I don't feel Indian, but I don't feel British either. I wouldn't say people have purposefully made me feel this way though, I've never thought any racist insults or whatever were representative of the views of all white peoples views though.

Not much you can do about it though, other than sucking it up and just living your life.
Original post by jpow
Most of the time, I love being in this country. I don't for a second take for granted the freedom we have. But at times, I've been made to feel as if I'm still foreign. The truth of the matter is, people see ethnicity first, nationality second (metaphorically- I realise as I typed that, there is a literal truth to that). When you own friends don't consider you to be a 'proper Brit', it's quite deflating. At the same time, I don't feel I belong anywhere else. The UK is all I've known.

Can I ask which ethnicity you are?
Hello guest, please make yourself at home and take some cookies and tea.
Original post by T.I.P
If I had a quid for every time I encountered racists Id be a millionaire. I remember going on a lads weekend to liverpool few years back, we had to leave early and head home due to racial tensions etc, one of my friends was glassed, I was punched etc and we were literally sat having a drink, this is just one example. Maybe Ive just had it tough but I do think, non-white brits as a whole aren't considered British by the mass public.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd like to ask you something though. Rightly or wrongly I'm going to assume you are of Pakistani/Indian/African descent.

Do you think that a Pakistani for example is going to ever consider a white person who was born in Pakistan and spent a few years there as Pakistani? I highly highly doubt it. Same goes for Indians and Africans.

That's why for me personally I wouldn't say you are or are not British. I'm just indifferent because I absolutely do not trust that it would be the same the other way around - I think it would be even worse the other way around.
Original post by Depleted
Yeah man that's the struggle. We've missed out on our original heritage and are not accepted as part of the British one. The best we can hope for is just living here in accepted for the rest of our days, if we get sent back then we're ****ed.

So what are you saying? Are you British or not? That's another problem. People want to be British when it suits them.
--
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by VergeofInsanity
I'd like to ask you something though. Rightly or wrongly I'm going to assume you are of Pakistani/Indian/African descent.

Do you think that a Pakistani for example is going to ever consider a white person who was born in Pakistan and spent a few years there as Pakistani? I highly highly doubt it. Same goes for Indians and Africans.

That's why for me personally I wouldn't say you are or are not British. I'm just indifferent because I absolutely do not trust that it would be the same the other way around - I think it would be even worse the other way around.

Family from Jamaica.. white Jamaicans get treated like Jamaicans. Over there once born in Jamaica, regardless of skin colour you're Jamaican and thats that. Cant comment on Pakistan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest