The Student Room Group

Choosing your A-levels? Your questions answered here! MKII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ombtom
As you don't know what to do at uni, you should pick another facilitating subject (which rules out psychology). Beyond that, it's a case of what you enjoy the most.

Chemistry is more specific, and would help a lot with any science/maths/engineering course at uni, whereas history and English would probably help with most courses, but to a lesser extent. :smile:

Do you think history would be too similar to gov and pol or would that be different?
Original post by ombtom
Most people exaggerate the jump*, although French might be a lot harder. Geography (Edexcel) is the same difficulty as GCSE, there's just quite a lot more in the syllabus. Have a look at the exams. Unit 1 even has a few multiple choice questions.

*Everyone your age is in the same position. Even if the jump was too much, the grade boundaries would be lower, so in the end the cleverest/most hard-working people should get the best results, regardless of how difficult the courses are, and with your GCSE results almost the same as mine you should be fine. :smile:

Thank you so much I'll keep that in mind :biggrin:
Original post by Chlobai
Do you think history would be too similar to gov and pol or would that be different?

I don't do either so can't really say, sorry :frown:
Original post by ombtom
I don't do either so can't really say, sorry :frown:

Okay, thanks for your help anyway!
I'm about to start a levels but where I study I was able to pick 4 subjects t geography religious studies sociology and global development. but I'm wondering if global development is worth it or should I focus on just three I put in a lot of work ethic but I do struggle in lessons
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm starting in September and am doing English Lit and History, however I don't know what 3rd subject to take, I'm thinking about a career in law. Any recommendations?
Original post by lot1313
I'm starting in September and am doing English Lit and History, however I don't know what 3rd subject to take, I'm thinking about a career in law. Any recommendations?

Hi there, clearly history and English are great choices when considering studying law!! As a third it doesnt really matter however most universities look for facilitating subjects such as maths, languages, geography or a science. It really depends on your GCSEs and how confident you are in certain subjects.

Take a look at this article which provides some ideas on what to take: http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-law

Hope this helps :smile:
hi , I'm starting 6th form in September and I know for sure that I will be taking Maths, history and English literature for AS but I am unsure about the fourth option (I was going to do either French or Psychology but I recently discovered that I don't really like French and I got a B in psychology which makes me unsure about pursuing it further and I'm a little put off)

I am unsure about specific careers I may want to pursue but possible degree options at uni are ;
-A degree in English or journalism (or something to that effect)
-A degree in finance or banking

Many thanks :smile:
Hi guys is me!!
Should I apply for PPE at Oxford with these A Levels? Bio Chem Math and History??
Much appreciated
Hello I was wondering if you could help me... My level choices are English lit, Creative Writing, History and Film studies.
However I wish to change film studies to either philosophy or fine art, and I was wondering if someone could tell me the pros and cons of each and maybe which would possibly work best with my chosen subjects.

P.S I plan to study English Literature at Uni

Thanks,
Joey :smile:
Reply 130
English Literature is a popular and competitive subject, and out of Philosophy and Fine Art, Philosophy is seen as the less 'weak' subject. I have friends who do both, and they prefer Philosophy - although fun, Fine Art takes up so much of your time that it's not always worth following unless you intend to take your studies further with it.

Original post by Joeyy113
Hello I was wondering if you could help me... My level choices are English lit, Creative Writing, History and Film studies.
However I wish to change film studies to either philosophy or fine art, and I was wondering if someone could tell me the pros and cons of each and maybe which would possibly work best with my chosen subjects.

P.S I plan to study English Literature at Uni

Thanks,
Original post by MegF
English Literature is a popular and competitive subject, and out of Philosophy and Fine Art, Philosophy is seen as the less 'weak' subject. I have friends who do both, and they prefer Philosophy - although fun, Fine Art takes up so much of your time that it's not always worth following unless you intend to take your studies further with it.

Thank you! Really helpful!!
I am going into year 11 and I am stuck about what to take for a levels.

I am definitely taking: geography, English literature, maths

So there's one slot remaining:
Spanish or further maths?

Spanish: I loved Spanish in year 10, and I feel I have been improving a lot. In general, I just really enjoyed it (for the most part, anyway). My teacher was absolutely amazing, but she left :frown: my prediction for gcses is an a*

Further maths: I wasn't offered further maths gcse until the year was almost over, so I was too late to be put in a class, therefore I have to teach myself further maths gcse. I think I am capable at maths if I put my mind to it. I am in a lower set in maths, but my prediction for gcse maths is a*. My teacher was fantastic (but surprise surprise, she left too) and even though the lower sets aren't meant to do the Intermediate UKMT, she thought I was capable and signed me up for it too, and I ended up getting a silver award! It's just, because I wasn't offered further maths initially, I don't know if I'll be capable of further maths a level.

I'm not sure what I want to do in uni, but I might want to do something mathematics related, and the unis I want to go to (Imperial, UCL, KCL) all require further maths as an a level for any maths related degree. On the other hand, I know that a language at a level is a good advantage too, so I'm completely stuck and have no idea what I'm going to do!!

Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wanderlust20
I am going into year 11 and I am stuck about what to take for a levels.

I am definitely taking: geography, English literature, maths

So there's one slot remaining:
Spanish or further maths?

Spanish: I loved Spanish in year 10, and I feel I have been improving a lot. In general, I just really enjoyed it (for the most part, anyway). My teacher was absolutely amazing, but she left :frown: my prediction for gcses is an a*

Further maths: I wasn't offered further maths gcse until the year was almost over, so I was too late to be put in a class, therefore I have to teach myself further maths gcse. I think I am capable at maths if I put my mind to it. I am in a lower set in maths, but my prediction for gcse maths is a*. My teacher was fantastic (but surprise surprise, she left too) and even though the lower sets aren't meant to do the Intermediate UKMT, she thought I was capable and signed me up for it too, and I ended up getting a silver award! It's just, because I wasn't offered further maths initially, I don't know if I'll be capable of further maths a level.

I'm not sure what I want to do in uni, but I might want to do something mathematics related, and the unis I want to go to (Imperial, UCL, KCL) all require further maths as an a level for any maths related degree. On the other hand, I know that a language at a level is a good advantage too, so I'm completely stuck and have no idea what I'm going to do!!

Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

further maths gcse gives u a head start in maths as it goes through c1 and c2 briefly
further maths a level isnt touched at gcse because it is practically university maths so dont worry about that
learning a language will probably be a lot more time consuming and difficult over the course of two years as at gcse u basically memorise a bunch of words and prepare for exams but a level u dont know the question u speak about for up to 10mins however learning a lanuguage will be more rewarding and open moore doors so if u can cope do the language
I'm going into sixth form really soon! I feel that I did really well in my GCSE's but what if A levels are just too hard? A lot of people on social networking sites claim that a levels will hit you hard, I think I'm afraid of this 'big jump'! Please tell me that yes it is challenging but it's an exaggerated term used by many.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katie904
I'm going into sixth form really soon! I feel that I did really well in my GCSE's but what if A levels are just too hard? A lot of people on social networking sites claim that a levels will hit you hard, I think I'm afraid of this 'big jump'! Please tell me that yes it is challenging but it's an exaggerated term used by many.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok your concern is a very common one so don't be worried. The short answer is yes a-levels are harder but then the long answer if that whilst they are harder you do only 3 as opposed to 10. Quite simply if you did well at GCSE you can expect to continue doing so. Most schools say that what you go at GCSE will go down by one at a-level I.e an A in Maths would be a B in maths a-level. Hope this helps and I would encourage you to have a go at A-levels worst situation you quit best situation you get a higher level of education opening up more options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im taking as levels in maths (mechanics) bio chem and physics... i got A*'s in all in gcse (except biology cause i got an A due to coursework cause of a bad teacher) will i find these too hard??? has anyone taken these ? i was thnking of swapping physics for english lit..will that be easieer??
Hi I'm in year 11 and thinking about doing a level maths, further maths, physics and music tech. However my parents don't think i should do music tech so i'm struggling to find another a level to do... HELP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 138
Any suggestions for if I should take A level Chemistry and Biology with EdExcel or AQA? I'm entering as a private candidate and I can take either board. I will only be attending the college for the practical so I would prefer a board which allows you to prepare more in advance if that exists? Thanks.
I'm going to be doing Sociology, Philosophy along with Government & Politics. Any tips for the subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest