The Student Room Group

Anyone needing English help...

Hello lovely people,

I’ve seen a lot of posts going round TSR where people are confused or want support with English, both Literature and Language, or just would like someone to read through their work...... so I wanted to create a thread where I can help any of you guys out with your English needs.

I have decided to relaunch this page for this academic year - so feel free to flood the chat with English and History questions. I achieved 9s my English and History GCSEs and am now taking both these subjects at A-level. I love chatting all things literature and am more than happy to help you read through works, advice on exams and past papers etc, or anything else you might need!

And so welcome to this thread, you are, whatever your experience with English has been, completely welcome here. You, yes, you reading this, are an incredible person, and I would love to help you out with whatever your English needs....

‘For it would seem - her case proved it- that we write, not with the fingers, but with the whole person. The nerve which controls the pen winds itself about every fibre of our being, thread the heart, pierces the liver.’ - Virginia Woolf, Orlando
I’ve just started an ELAT thread over on the Oxford University forum but no replies yet asking for help with part of the question in ELAT admissions test - when writing about two pieces of unseen text the question says to pay particular attention to effects of structure, language and style. I’m fine with structure and language but I don’t know how to write about style/ not sure how to pinpoint style. Help!
Original post by kscgemini
I’ve just started an ELAT thread over on the Oxford University forum but no replies yet asking for help with part of the question in ELAT admissions test - when writing about two pieces of unseen text the question says to pay particular attention to effects of structure, language and style. I’m fine with structure and language but I don’t know how to write about style/ not sure how to pinpoint style. Help!

Style refers to the way writing is formed - how has it been shaped and why might they have done that. Are they any links you can draw between the context of the work and why it is written in the way it is. A writer makes conscious choices about how they construct their work, all interplays to the meaning, emotions, and ideas they wish to evoke. Style, therefore, connects directly with structure and formation. Is it informal, descriptive, formal - and subsequently what might this convey. To give you an example, a writer using a descriptive style might choose this to reflect the rich complexity of the imagery they create. This draws attention to the immersive overwhelming nature of the text as can be seen in x - and then this is where you would reference language techniques such as an extended metaphor, which would further emphasise how this writer uses language and style to surround the reader with a beautiful environment.

Have a read of this too: https://www.readwritethink.org/sites/default/files/resources/lesson_images/lesson209/definition_style.pdf
https://literaryterms.net/style/

In the context of the ELAT, I would also link style to form - think as an overall not just the way in which the text is written (style) but also how it is constructed as a whole (form) and most importantly, WHY.

Hope that helped - let me know if you have any other questions etc :smile:
Reply 3
Hi! I'm really quite new to all this and I'm applying from Singapore. Any recommendations on how to choose the 2 texts and how to brainstorm for refreshing and novel points and ideas?
Original post by dordee
Hi! I'm really quite new to all this and I'm applying from Singapore. Any recommendations on how to choose the 2 texts and how to brainstorm for refreshing and novel points and ideas?

That's okay - no worries. What do you mean by choosing two texts - for an admissions test or?
Let me know and then I'll answer the second part of your question alongside, it'll make more sense all together!
Reply 5
Original post by Student_studies
That's okay - no worries. What do you mean by choosing two texts - for an admissions test or?
Let me know and then I'll answer the second part of your question alongside, it'll make more sense all together!

Yep! For the ELAT, how would you recommend I shortlist my 2 texts?
Original post by dordee
Yep! For the ELAT, how would you recommend I shortlist my 2 texts?

Honestly, there's a very simple answer to this. Pick the ones you can connect most quickly and feel you have the most opinions about and could discuss. There is no point second guessing what could appear good etc, look fundamentally at what you feel you could discuss to the most detailed level. Remember the point of this is to see your views, how you perceive texts and readings etc, and therefore it is crucial you play to your strengths. Does that help at all?
Reply 7
Original post by Student_studies
Hello lovely people,

I’ve seen a lot of posts going round TSR where people are confused or want support with English, both Literature and Language, or just would like someone to read through their work...... so I wanted to create a thread where I can help any of you guys out with your English needs.

I have decided to relaunch this page for this academic year - so feel free to flood the chat with English and History questions. I achieved 9s my English and History GCSEs and am now taking both these subjects at A-level. I love chatting all things literature and am more than happy to help you read through works, advice on exams and past papers etc, or anything else you might need!

And so welcome to this thread, you are, whatever your experience with English has been, completely welcome here. You, yes, you reading this, are an incredible person, and I would love to help you out with whatever your English needs....

‘For it would seem - her case proved it- that we write, not with the fingers, but with the whole person. The nerve which controls the pen winds itself about every fibre of our being, thread the heart, pierces the liver.’ - Virginia Woolf, Orlando

What is the best way to revise for English Literature at GCSE? (I struggle with remembering quotes)
Original post by Avan2552
What is the best way to revise for English Literature at GCSE? (I struggle with remembering quotes)

Hello - sorry for the delayed response as I was mid exam season! Is this still something you'd like some support with? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending