The Student Room Group

Help me solve this tricky GCSE question!!!

Hi guys

y=x(x-3)
x^2 + y^2 =9

Help much appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Sub y=x(x-3) into the second equation and solve for X.
Expand the brackets to get y=x^2-3x, sub that into the second equation, solve for x, sub those values for x into the first equation to find y
thanks

i get that but you end up with x^4 and i cant work further than that
what equation did you get? i get x^4-6x^3+10x^2-9
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by an_atheist
Expand the brackets to get y=x^2-3x, sub that into the second equation, solve for x, sub those values for x into the first equation to find y

ive got this so far

x^2 + (x(x-3))^2=9
then multiply out to get
x^4-6x^3+10x^2=9

How do i solve from here or am i doing something wrong?
Reply 6
Ok, so this question requires some quadratic re-arrangement. First, multiply out the brackets of y=x(x-3) to get y=x^2-3x. Then, as everything in the second equation is a "squared number", you can square root it to get x+y=3. Then bring the x to the other side to get y=3-x. Substitute that into the first equation, so that is makes : 3-x=x^2-3x. Bring over the 3-x to the other side to form the quadratic 'x^2-2x-3'. Then solve that to get (x-3)(x+1). This gives X solutions of +3 and -1. Substitute each value into one of the equations ( I suggest x+y=3). This gives two final solutions. When x=3, y=0. When x=-1, y=4.
so we now have x^4-5x^2=9 yes? Make it all equal to zero, x^4-5x^2-9=0. If we take x^2=x, then it becomes a quadratic, solve and then sub in x=x^2.

omg thanks so much!!!! this was bugging me so much
Original post by uchihaitachi
omg thanks so much!!!! this was bugging me so much

I expanded wrong. Please see my revised post.
Original post by ErwinJ
Ok, so this question requires some quadratic re-arrangement. First, multiply out the brackets of y=x(x-3) to get y=x^2-3x. Then, as everything in the second equation is a "squared number", you can square root it to get x+y=3. Then bring the x to the other side to get y=3-x. Substitute that into the first equation, so that is makes : 3-x=x^2-3x. Bring over the 3-x to the other side to form the quadratic 'x^2-2x-3'. Then solve that to get (x-3)(x+1). This gives X solutions of +3 and -1. Substitute each value into one of the equations ( I suggest x+y=3). This gives two final solutions. When x=3, y=0. When x=-1, y=4.

thank you!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

well jealous couldn't figure it out myself
Original post by ErwinJ

And the solutions given are incorrect. x=3,y=0 is correct, but x=1,y=4 is not, as it doesn't fit the second equation.
LOL I'm giving this a try and just got x=0 and y=+or-3
Reply 12
thanks

i get that but you end up with x^4 and i cant work further than that

You can just factorise it, given that x2 is a factor of all terms on the LHS:

x2 + [x(x-3)]2 = 9
x2 + (x2 - 3x)2 = 9
x2 + (x4 - 6x3 + 9x2) = 9
x4 - 6x3 + 10x2 = 9
x2(x2 - 6x + 10) = 9
x2(x2 - 6x + 10) = 9
so
x2(x2 - 6x + 10) - 9 = 0
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
thank you!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

well jealous couldn't figure it out myself

No problem! Good luck with maths! I am in Year 12 taking maths but, upon thought, I probably wouldn't have been able to do this question last year, but now it seems a doddle!
Reply 14
And the solutions given are incorrect. x=3,y=0 is correct, but x=1,y=4 is not, as it doesn't fit the second equation.

Correct, it appears I over-looked that. However my methodology still works. There is no need for there to be x^4 popping up in anybodies working out of this question.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ErwinJ

you seem to be saying that since x2 + y2 = 9 it follows that

x + y = 3

:confused:
Original post by ErwinJ
Look carefully. It is -1 not 1. It works.

-1^2=1, yes? 4^2=16. 1+16 doesnt equal 9, so you are wrong
Reply 18

How is x = 0 and x = 3 dodgy?
Original post by ErwinJ

I'm pretty sure this is wrong. sqrt(x^2 + y^2) is not equal to x + y hence x+y is not 3

Quick Reply

Latest