The Student Room Group

Advice Wanted!

As some of you will know the deadline for making a uni choice on UCAS rapidly approaches, (6th May i.e. 2 days away!) and I can't decide! I have two equally good choices and my list of pros and cons seem relatively equal. Anyone willing to give an outside perspective would be greatly appreciated.:smile:

Uni One
- Better Facilities, (accommodation and sporting facilities ect)
-The uni is right at the heart of the city and it's a great city.
- Better reputation which means better graduate prospects, higher starting salary et
- more clubs and societies to get involved in.
but ....
-I don't like the course or the library as much and both are high on my list of priorities.
- The students have a reputation for being snobby (obviously I don't know if this is accurate)

Uni Two
-Better course- it appears to be more dynamic and more modern and more in line with my interests.
-My best friend since I was 4 is going there so at least I will know someone!
- Fantastic Library
- Supposedly has the better nightlife
-Uni 2 is a five year course instead of a four as is typical in Scotland which I like because it means I have longer to work out what I want to do after uni!
-It's the one I have always wanted to go to
but....
-Accommodation is pretty iffy and far out from the city centre. It's almost in a student quarter and I don't know what that is like.

I have been debating between the two for so long it's driving me crazy. Any advice on making the right choice for you would be greatly appreciated. I have asked friends and family but I'm not sure they are really thinking about where would be best FOR ME. Rather than just which is the better uni. I'm very conscious this is probably the biggest decision I have had to make yet and I don't want to regret it.
Reply 1
From what you have listed uni 2 will be much better. If you prefer the course and find it more interesting then this is much more important than where it is located.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MishaMinion2
As some of you will know the deadline for making a uni choice on UCAS rapidly approaches, (6th May i.e. 2 days away!) and I can't decide! I have two equally good choices and my list of pros and cons seem relatively equal. Anyone willing to give an outside perspective would be greatly appreciated.:smile:

Uni One
- Better reputation which means better graduate prospects, higher starting salary et
but ....
-I don't like the course or the library as much and both are high on my list of priorities.
- The students have a reputation for being snobby (obviously I don't know if this is accurate)

Uni Two
-Better course- it appears to be more dynamic and more modern and more in line with my interests.
- Fantastic Library
-Uni 2 is a five year course instead of a four as is typical in Scotland which I like because it means I have longer to work out what I want to do after uni!
but....
-Accommodation is pretty iffy and far out from the city centre. It's almost in a student quarter and I don't know what that is like.

I have been debating between the two for so long it's driving me crazy. Any advice on making the right choice for you would be greatly appreciated. I have asked friends and family but I'm not sure they are really thinking about where would be best FOR ME. Rather than just which is the better uni. I'm very conscious this is probably the biggest decision I have had to make yet and I don't want to regret it.

The course always comes first if you don't like the course you won't do as well and where you went will not dictate your salary.
(edited 8 years ago)
Second one,go for the course you d be happier with you ll be more motivated then

Uni One
but ....

Uni Two
- Fantastic Library
but....

What grades do you need to get for both? Or are they unconditional?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Uni two I would say. My daughter was in a similar position and she chose the course over the accommodation, etc....
Hope that helps a bit....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you for your advice :smile: it is an unconditional offer for both

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
So the consensus appears to be that the course is more important than the place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So the consensus appears to be that the course is more important than the place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I mean you do need to be happy in the place it's a balancing act
It honestly sounds like you want to go to Uni 2, but the accomodation is not ideal. Your course is five years, and ultimately it's unlikely you'll spend more than a year in student accomodation before finding a house with friends. Choose Uni 2 imo.
Uni 2 seems like the clear choice, despite the fact that the accommodation isn't ideal, it is only for one year.
The course is more important than anything because that is what will get you your degree.

Don't let the fact that your friend is going be any kind of a deciding factor though.
Just to let you all know (if you are interested) I officially accepted uni 2 this morning. Thank you all for your advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uni One
but ....

Uni Two
- Fantastic Library
but....

To me it seems like you are interested in the second university more. One piece of advice I will provide is don't go to a university just because your friend is going there. But it doesn't seem you are doing that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending