The Student Room Group

**** I'm so scared Tories will win now.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
so 58% of you are okay with another 5 years of Tory government? :frown:
Original post by EatAndRevise
Give me an example of "success at the expense of the majority"..
You serious? 2008 economic crash. "Successful" bankers, regulators and politicians go on to ruin our economy, impoverish millions and widen inequality.
Original post by arminb

Well considering the alternative its a no brainer really.
Reply 183
Original post by Bornblue
At least you admit you don't care about the poor. I respect that more then someone pretending they do but not actually.

Disabled and sick have faced huge benefit cuts. And the 'fit to work scheme'? Doctors and medical professionals have declared people not fit to work yet Ian Duncan Smith who claims £39 of taxpayers money on breakfast says they are fit?
Many examples of people being declared fit to work and dying.

You can't care about the poor, disabled and sick and vote tory. They are mutually exclusive.

Many examples? I bet there are probably a couple but no more. I find it funny when people delude themselves into believing the other parties would do anything massively different

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Give me an example of "success at the expense of the majority".

wait whaaaaattt?! :O . I didn't read this at first. You do realise that the richest in society actually got richer since the financial crash don't you? Do you read at all? Not even the BBC homepage maybe?!
Original post by arminb
Yes they do, I think Robert Downey Junior was paid 160 million for a role in ****ty Iron Man movie (not sure about the figure but it was sompin ridiculously high). If he didn't ask for that kind of money, other people involved in the making of that film could have enjoy a higher earning to pay their bills.

They exploit others because they accept their salary? Are you a communist?

Why would they get paid as much as Robert Downey Jr.? He was the main actor in the film. The people working behind the scenes in Iron Man will be able to pay their bills. Talent pays.

Original post by arminb
Not a single prosecution was made for tax evasion since 2010. Just read mister.

Tax evasion Tax avoidance. I think you should "read mister".

Original post by arminb
Yea when is it the time to question whether it is right to live a lavish life style??

It will never be the "time to question whether it is right to live a lavish life style". We have a right to live lavishly if we want to.

Would you rather live in a large, spacious house in South West London, or a flat in Bradford?

Original post by arminb
And doctors... just don't get me started I'm the son of two doctors. If they didn't ask for that kind of salary (85k p.a), do you how much extra money NHS could have? How many more people fighting cancer could be saved?

Please, grow up.
Original post by arminb
wait whaaaaattt?! :O . I didn't read this at first. You do realise that the richest in society actually got richer since the financial crash don't you? Do you read at all? Not even the BBC homepage maybe?!

Why are you not able to comprehend the most basic of sentences? Have you ever attended a day of school?

I asked you a simple question. I didn't deny anything.
Original post by Reformed2010
You serious? 2008 economic crash. "Successful" bankers, regulators and politicians go on to ruin our economy, impoverish millions and widen inequality.

I asked for an example. I didn't deny anything.

And anyway, good luck having a country without any bankers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by arminb
then why did the rich get richer?
why did they reduce the top rate of tax?
why didn't they tackle tax evasion?

Without wanting to sound like song lyrics or quoting economic theory, you need to have money to make money. Businesses create opportunities for the rest of us. If companies don't have money to invest in new equipment, factories and shops etc then there wouldn't be more jobs, more people paying tax and more income for the government.

Higher earners pay higher rates of tax which helps fund everything the government spends money on. While it might sound like a nice slogan for lower earners, you can't keep increasing the tax rate on the wealthiest - at some point they will move somewhere where they don't get hit as hard.

Agreed, tax evasion is illegal and bad and I'd support any efforts to tackle it. Unfortunately corporate tax law is extremely complex and investigations take years. No party is any better or any worse targeting this.
Which Party should I vote for which will be good for the NHS?
Original post by arminb

Well not really, but anything is better than a Labour government, even civil war
45% is more than enough
In your opinion.

If you ever earn enough money to pay that sort of tax, you will be much less willing to give it away.
You a mind reader now? The Ed Milibands, Nicola Sturgeons, Barack Obamas and Francis Holland's of this world must be angels then for wanting to raise taxes and get less pay. Seriously you don't know what will happen if anyone got richer so don't pretend you do.
Why do people even vote for the conservatives!!! WHY!!
Original post by Reformed2010
In your opinion.

You a mind reader now? The Ed Milibands, Nicola Sturgeons, Barack Obamas and Francis Holland's of this world must be angels then for wanting to raise taxes and get less pay. Seriously you don't know what will happen if anyone got richer so don't pretend you do.

Nicola Sturgeon doesn't earn enough to fall into the top tax rate.
Ed Milliband doesn't earn enough to fall into the top tax rate.

You wouldn't want to keep more of your earned money?
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
Why do people even vote for the conservatives!!! WHY!!

Because look at the alternative.
My gosh there are some really nasty characters on this site. OP, there's no reason to worry... the Tories won't get enough seats to form a majority even with the help of the LibDems. Anything the bastards try to pass against the vulnerable will be voted down by Labour + SNP.
Original post by Chodaboy
The only way I see anything changing is if one of the smaller parties gains any kind of power, like the Greens, UKIP or SNP

An EU exit and/or breaking of the union would spark major change. I suspect an EU exit would seal the deal on the Scots becoming independent and an eventual united Ireland.
I asked for an example. I didn't deny anything.

And anyway, good luck having a country without any bankers.

We could easily not rely on IB and speculation, it's all BS. A thriving manufacturing and exports industry is a far more solid basis upon which a country could hang its hat on.
Original post by looseseal
In what world are these cuts affecting every member of society :laugh:.

The most significant cut in there for the richest in society is the top rate tax cut from 50p to 45p which is for their benefit.

Police, armed forces, local councils, parks, museums, flood defences, cuts to government departments and infrastructure projects are just some of the examples affecting every member of society from that list.

I don't know why the top rate of tax is such a red flag to the left. Revenue to the government actually went down when the top rate went up to 50p as more people were able to use tax avoidance (which is legal) to disguise their income. Don't forget the richest pay far more in council tax, inheritance tax, and free up resources by paying for private healthcare and schooling privately.

I'm not rich but I want to be one day, and I don't want my taxes to go towards others who are able but unwilling to contribute to society. Austerity isn't forever but a Labour government can't be trusted to make the country a better place.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
We could easily not rely on IB and speculation, it's all BS.

Right, ok. Firstly, I said "bankers".

Secondly, calling the work that investment bankers do, as being "BS", truly shows who you are. Congratulations for insulting some of the smartest people in the country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending