The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Modern Languages Graduate Study

Hi everyone! I'm a Belgian student at the University of Leuven. I have a bachelor's in Corporate Translation & Interpretation (French-English-German-Dutch). I'm currently doing a transitional year in Applied Language Studies French-English-Dutch, so that I can enter the Master in Multilingual Communication (French-English-Dutch). I am fluent in Dutch, English, French, Arabic and Berber. I am also a proficient speaker of German. My grades are good, I have an average of about 15/20-16/20. My university is a well-known, established university. It's the oldest, highest ranked and most prestigious university in Belgium and the largest of the Benelux.

I'm planning to apply to Oxford or Cambridge after I graduate. I would like to study Modern Languages at graduate level, with a focus on French (hopefully with some English as well). As I'm not familiar with the university system in the UK, I do not know what Oxbridge looks for in an applicant. Unfortunately, my university course did not focus on literature, but more on linguistics. The Master I'm choosing focusses on communication and culture.

I am the president of the English language club and I am a member of the French one as well. In my free time, I translate documents for Amnesty International, I run a blog on Moroccan culture, and I write for a non-profit organization that encourages intercultural communication. I'm also part of a student organization for students with "journalism ambitions". One day a week (and in the holidays) I work as a Customer Service Rep for an American Fortune 500 B2B company, taking care of external communication.

I have a lot of experience with intercultural communication and this is what I want to pursue in my career. I would like to study at Oxbridge for a year to broaden my horizon. The only thing I'm worried about is my lack of knowledge on literature. I am a willing to learn and do a lot of catching up.

Do you guys know if I stand a chance of getting into Oxbridge? Is it possible to get admitted even if I already have a Master's degree? Is it also possible to apply two years after graduating (even if I have worked for 1-2 years)? What would I need to get in?

Thanks in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending