The Student Room Group

Confused..

I have been accepted to study BA social work in September. However I was wondering when I have qualified would I be able to do a PGCE for primary teaching? I am a qualified teaching assistant and have been working in a primary school for the past 2 years. Thanks.
Reply 1
Yes, you would be able to do that. PGCE's are targetted at those who have graduated from uni and you can get additional Student Finance for them.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply.. I was just wondering as it's social work it's not really relevant to teaching so wondered if I would be accepted :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Leahjayne27
Thanks for the reply.. I was just wondering as it's social work it's not really relevant to teaching so wondered if I would be accepted :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case, possibly not. You'd need to check PGCE Primary Teaching entry requirements with individual unis. Sorry I can't be more help - hopefully someone else will chip in shortly.
Reply 4
If it helps, I did a quick Google and my first find was Sheffield Hallam, who don't specify a degree subject for their PCGE Primary Education:

http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/193/entry/
Original post by Leahjayne27
I have been accepted to study BA social work in September. However I was wondering when I have qualified would I be able to do a PGCE for primary teaching? I am a qualified teaching assistant and have been working in a primary school for the past 2 years. Thanks.

If you know that you what to be a teacher why don't you apply to undergraduate teaching course instead of doing a social work degree for three years and then a PGCE afterwards. I'm sure that I saw a few undergrad teaching courses still accepting applicants through UCAS Extra.

However, you could just wait until clearing to see if they got any place on teaching courses than risking UCAS Extra.

Coming back to your original question, the best thing is to email around to a few different universities asking if you can do the PGCE if you have a BA Social Work Degree
Reply 6
Oh Thankyou for your help! I really want to be a social worker for a few years but then eventually in the future after I have has children go to be a teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending