The Student Room Group

Hair Straighteners - A Guide

Scroll to see replies

YYYY
By "uncoordinated", I mean it wasn't neat. The way I'd straightened it left it all sticking straight out (kinda like an afro:eek: ).

How high up towards the scalp were you straightening it? Generally I've read it's best to straighten one or two inches from the scalp, so your hair will fall naturally but straight. However my hair is naturally quite frizzy, so if I use that method I get smooth hair on the bottom but frizzy on top, so looks very odd!
My hair is ridiculous, I straighten it but it reverts to nightmare fright-wig after half an hour, doesn't matter what I put on it. Any suggestions? Cheers!
Try a serum? I use Andrew collinge's one, it was only £3 something in Boots and it's great. I put a bit on before I straighten and also after, to stop the frizz! Also, take it with you when you go out, and apply it (but not too much!) when it starts to go frizzy... if you put on too much though it will look greasy, so avoid putting it on the roots.
Reply 23
I tried it again on Monday on a higher setting. The effect was a bit more lasting this time. I'm not sure whether it was a coincidence though.
Although I have to say, I do look quite dashing with straightened hair. :wink:
Usually the hotter the straighteners, the straighter and longer-lasting the effect will be, but it will also damage your hair more, so if you do use a high setting make sure you use a heat-protection spray or cream.
Reply 25
Phantom Phoenix
My hair is ridiculous, I straighten it but it reverts to nightmare fright-wig after half an hour, doesn't matter what I put on it. Any suggestions? Cheers!

What kind of straighteners do you have? (I know somebody who accidentally bought straighteners for people with short hair such as myself, and had difficulty with them!)

Also, you could try a serum, or a moisturising shampoo of some variety (unfortunately, I don't have any reccommendations, however!).
Reply 26
Where is the best place/site to buy GHDs? I'm seriously considering splashing out. I have debated for far too long now - I might as well just go for it.
Reply 27
so are you supposed to straighten after youve applied the Heat Protection Spray or wait a while?
Reply 28
rafy
so are you supposed to straighten after youve applied the Heat Protection Spray or wait a while?

I spray it on, then brush it through, then straighten - and ignore any sizzling that happens if I've put on too much spray
Reply 29
Aphrodite
I spray it on, then brush it through, then straighten - and ignore any sizzling that happens if I've put on too much spray

right ok....thanks:smile: .
Reply 30
rafy
right ok....thanks:smile: .

tis OK :smile:
Reply 31
www.jason-shankey.com
seems to sell GHDs at the cheapest price.

You can only get them from a salon or an authorised dealer...however my salon seems to sell them for a RIDICULOUS price...£130...the Internet seems your best bet if you run a search on kelkoo.co.uk. :smile:
Has anyone considered having their hair Yuko'd (like as a christmas/birthday present)? Very expensive but apparently lasts a long time.

I am fed up of having hair which looks like Hermione Granger and can't straighten my hair to save my life.
Reply 33
I havent had it done, but my friend did a while ago because she had verry curly hair. It was okay for a while, but once it starts growing out it looks a bit silly! I know she wouldnt really recommend it, and i would say only get it done if you can afford the touch ups :smile:
Reply 34
lynseyweth
Where is the best place/site to buy GHDs? I'm seriously considering splashing out. I have debated for far too long now - I might as well just go for it.

There is the official GHD shop, which sells them from about £85 - pretty good seeing as i got mine a few years ao for £100! http://www.ghd.uk.com/ sometimes they have special offers on there, where you get a heat mat, or some heat protection spray, free or discounted.

Or you could try ebay! Often they have GHDs on there for a low price, ive seen a few comments from people on here who have been happy buying them off ebay!
Reply 35
I got a pair of cheapy nicky clarke straighteners from tesco for my birthday from my flatmates and they are great! i do have to say i have short fine hair that is naturally straigt so it's more just for styling, but i'm dead chuffed with them.

i'd warn everyopne against remington things, i had a hirdryer of there's that busrt into flames and badly burnt my hair and my flatmate had 3 sets of remington straighteners in a year that all broke (she now has hair tools that are fine)

lou xxx
to make it salon straight - wash hair, blow dry, get rid of all tangles using comb, straighten it, apply hair spray and then run your fingers through your hair.. and it will come out perfectly straight, shiny, silky, smooth :suith:
a_musical_gal
Has anyone considered having their hair Yuko'd (like as a christmas/birthday present)? Very expensive but apparently lasts a long time.

I am fed up of having hair which looks like Hermione Granger and can't straighten my hair to save my life.

Is that the treatment that makes your hair dead straight and you won;t need to straighten it again for about 2 years? So they say?

My friend had this done (if it's what I think it is) and her hair came out gorgeous. I was considering getting it done to my hair, but then I like being able to curl my hair sometimes too. I wouldn;t like to have a treatment like that done and then later decide I want my hair curly and then ruin the effects of the treatment!
I am thinking of getting it done - once I get the money to do so. My hair is slighty wavy and gets frizzy VERY VERY easily! I am fed of getting a really nice outfit and then spoiling with my hair because I can't straighten it to save my life.

lovelee-jublee
Is that the treatment that makes your hair dead straight and you won;t need to straighten it again for about 2 years? So they say?

My friend had this done (if it's what I think it is) and her hair came out gorgeous. I was considering getting it done to my hair, but then I like being able to curl my hair sometimes too. I wouldn;t like to have a treatment like that done and then later decide I want my hair curly and then ruin the effects of the treatment!
Reply 39
Question:

Which one should I get? (GHD's)

the original ceramic styling iron
the mini styler
the salon styler

Quick Reply

Latest