The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Friendly student body?

I have two questions with regards to the University of Birmingham.

#1: Friendliness/community-vibe of students?

I realise it's a big uni, so maybe not a massively close knit student base. But is it generally a good uni for finding a sense of community?

#2: Is it well regarded by employers for the social sciences?

Thanks for your time :smile:
Hi :smile:

I'm at Birmingham now. We might have 28,000 student but I definitely feel like we have a community and I've met my closest friends here! Most courses have there own society and on top of that there are 235 societies to join which makes it really easy to meet people and it's all run by our Guild of Students. So for example I'm part of the society that runs the student radio station - Burn FM

Regarding social sciences Birmingham is very highly respected. But it's still really good to expand your CV whilst you're here, so for example I do the Personal Skills Award and through that I've been able to get contacts with employers like TeachFirst which will really boost my employability :-)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
The friendliness/community vibe varies alarmingly between halls. Maple Bank and Tennis Courts tend to be the friendlier ones. Based on personal experience I'd avoid Shackleton like the plague, and probably Mason too. I had an awful time there so I may be biased, but I'm not the first person to openly dislike it.

Other than that it tends to be dominated by sporty types, socially. They even have a f---ing nightclub event every week at the guild specially for them. It's generally not a problem but they tend to be the ones who get the most joy out of coming here. There are societies for pretty much everything where you can meet like-minded people, but the social events can be pretty sporadic. If you're an arty-farty, hipster sort of person you may find other places more appealling. But reputation-wise it's one of the best universities in the country so if it's your first choice and you get the grades you should come here regardless.

Also if you like to drink regularly in the week (as in go to the pub and have a few pints), you're at a disadvantage. There are no pubs near the Vale so the norm for students in 1st year (and in 2nd and 3rd year sadly) is to go to a nightclub once a week, drink themselves into oblivion and spend the rest of the week recovering from the hangover and studying, which is particuarly annoying if you're doing an arts course where you tend to have loads of free time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by guntby
The friendliness/community vibe varies alarmingly between halls. Maple Bank and Tennis Courts tend to be the friendlier ones. Based on personal experience I'd avoid Shackleton like the plague, and probably Mason too. I had an awful time there so I may be biased, but I'm not the first person to openly dislike it.

Other than that it tends to be dominated by sporty types, socially. They even have a f---ing nightclub event every week at the guild specially for them. It's generally not a problem but they tend to be the ones who get the most joy out of coming here. There are societies for pretty much everything where you can meet like-minded people, but the social events can be pretty sporadic. If you're an arty-farty, hipster sort of person you may find other places more appealling. But reputation-wise it's one of the best universities in the country so if it's your first choice and you get the grades you should come here regardless.

Also if you like to drink regularly in the week (as in go to the pub and have a few pints), you're at a disadvantage. There are no pubs near the Vale so the norm for students in 1st year (and in 2nd and 3rd year sadly) is to go to a nightclub once a week, drink themselves into oblivion and spend the rest of the week recovering from the hangover and studying, which is particuarly annoying if you're doing an arts course where you tend to have loads of free time.

I kind of want to disagree with you there!

Halls change around every year so the vibe in each one is different, it's about picking the one that most suits you! So I lived in Pritchatts House and that wouldn't suit a lot of people but I loved it.

Although the Guild does run a Sports Night every Wednesday there is also Fab every Saturday which is for everyone. I'm certainly not sporty at all and I spend most of my time around the Guild, with so many societies I reckon you can easily find something whether you like sport or not.

And there is actually a pub on the Vale Village itself, it's called the Duck and Scholar and was my regular haunt last year as a Fresher
Reply 4
Original post by guntby

Thanks for the reply. Really informative and helpful.

Quite surprising though, that sport-types dominated. I wouldn't identify as a hipster but I guess you could say I am more the type to be into progressive politics (I'm studying politics) and I heard Birmingham had a really active political society (more so than most). I can't imagine most campaigning societies at university to be conservative so I'm surprised you describe it as more sporty.

Invaluable info tho :smile:
Original post by J_89
Thanks for the reply. Really informative and helpful.

Quite surprising though, that sport-types dominated. I wouldn't identify as a hipster but I guess you could say I am more the type to be into progressive politics (I'm studying politics) and I heard Birmingham had a really active political society (more so than most). I can't imagine most campaigning societies at university to be conservative so I'm surprised you describe it as more sporty.

Invaluable info tho :smile:

Well that's just how I experienced it, particularly in first year. It is one of the sportiest universities in the country after all. Sometimes I wish I went somewhere a bit more arty farty if I'm honest. There are societies that cater to my interests but they haven't been great in the provision and the frequency of their social events (which is the whole point of them surely).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending