The Student Room Group

Cambridge Colleges

Hi guys! I’m looking at applying for Cambridge but can’t make my mind up on what college to go to. I’m mainly considering King’s, Queens’ or Clare’s and want to study HisPol. I’d really like a college with a good social life and preferably a more diverse student body. Just wondering if anyone things a certain one of these colleges (or a different one) would suit this?
I saw King’s and Clare’s in person at the open day in July very briefly, but not Queen’s.
Thanks (:

I know people get very protective of their own colleges lol but if anyone have any honest opinions or experiences they would be really appreciated
(edited 7 months ago)
Heya! So, most of the colleges cover most of the subjects' and in any case the faculty rather than the college will do most of the teaching, so you don't need to worry too much about that. Things that might impact which college you choose a bit more might be

- architecture
- kitchen/ food provision
- college size
- accomodation options (en suite? Double rooms? Couple rooms? Shared rooms? Rooms you can stay in during the holidays? Average rent?)
- bursaries and financial support offered
- accessibility
- sports facilities

I'm at Corpus for languages and I love it. It's one of the smaller colleges (so super friendly) and very pretty, and being an older college (ie has assets) it can offer financial support if needed. Not all of these elements will be important for everyone, and honestly you could pick a college at random and probably be happy there. But these are factors to think about so that you can pick a college best suited to what you like and how you like to live. To find out about colleges you can look at their prospectuses but also at the alternative student prospectuses and current students information, where it's available.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Hello! Thanks so much- I'm from NI so Corpus is actually my link college, and it was lovely when I got the chance to visit there (personally I just think I would prefer a slightly larger college). Are there any other colleges you would think about going to, except Corpus, if you had the chance to choose again?
Original post by EKBH
Hello! Thanks so much- I'm from NI so Corpus is actually my link college, and it was lovely when I got the chance to visit there (personally I just think I would prefer a slightly larger college). Are there any other colleges you would think about going to, except Corpus, if you had the chance to choose again?

I love Selwyn and Pembroke because they're both so beautiful. Pembroke food is amazing but more expensive, though. Selwyn is right by the humanities site' which is really good, but Pembroke is right in the centre on the same street at Corpus, so super convenient too. I'm pretty sure Pembroke just built new accom on the waterfront, too. Hinestly, I also really like Churchill. They have more kitchens and more modern rooms than older colleges do, and it's very beautiful in a slightly concrete sort of way. I don't usually like that style of architecture but I like Churchill. I also find the food really nice and the library is great. It is a bit further away but on a bike that's completely fine. My next option would probably be Trinity Hall, because again it's very pretty, but also because of their financial support potential and convenient location. I personally am less keen on Kings and Trinity because I find those colleges less friendly, but I know people who are there and love it, too. The other thing of being at kings is the number of tourists about! We get them at Corpus too but because of our closed courts it's easier to maintain a sense of calm in the college itself.

Lmk if you have any other questions!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by tiredgiraff
I love Selwyn and Pembroke because they're both so beautiful. Pembroke food is amazing but more expensive, though. Selwyn is right by the humanities site' which is really good, but Pembroke is right in the centre on the same street at Corpus, so super convenient too. I'm pretty sure Pembroke just built new accom on the waterfront, too. Hinestly, I also really like Churchill. They have more kitchens and more modern rooms than older colleges do, and it's very beautiful in a slightly concrete sort of way. I don't usually like that style of architecture but I like Churchill. I also find the food really nice and the library is great. It is a bit further away but on a bike that's completely fine. My next option would probably be Trinity Hall, because again it's very pretty, but also because of their financial support potential and convenient location. I personally am less keen on Kings and Trinity because I find those colleges less friendly, but I know people who are there and love it, too. The other thing of being at kings is the number of tourists about! We get them at Corpus too but because of our closed courts it's easier to maintain a sense of calm in the college itself.

Lmk if you have any other questions!

Thanks so much! Useful info about Kings- I was told they were meant to be friendly and had good formals etc. but might have come from a bias source. I was told Clare's is a friendly college too and good craic? I know the wealthiest colleges also correlate a lot of the time with being on the less friendly side, but I was wondering do you know if there are any particularly good colleges (that are still nice and not stuck up to put it bluntly) that would provide financial support? Since I' from NI I would have to travel to and from, and I am concerned about the price of everything including flights stacking up.
In my experience, the more touristy a college is, the more (again, bluntly) stuck up it's likely to be. I know lots of lovely people from all colleges and they all love their colleges, but my experience is that Kings, Trinity and John's tend to be the most like that, although I'm sure some people would disagree. That being said, in whichever college there will be people from all walks of life and you'll gravitate to the people who you get on best with, so you'll find good people wherever you are. Generally in terms of finances, older colleges have more assets. I have lots of NI friends at Corpus, but ofc it is a small college. I'd have a look at Selwyn and Pembroke, maybe At Catharine's, potentially Sidney Sussex. Christ's and Gonville and Caius would have finances but both have a reputation for having a lot of pressure on their students, so it depends on how well you feel you could manage that. But please take my experiences with a pinch of salt, too - I only have experience living in one college, and any other information is based off visiting, friends' thoughts and reputation. In terms of financial support Trinity will probably always be the best, but that comes with compromise in other areas.
Things I know lots of colleges offer
- vacation storage space for international and NI students
- long and short lease rooms
- need based financial support

Original post by EKBH
Thanks so much! Useful info about Kings- I was told they were meant to be friendly and had good formals etc. but might have come from a bias source. I was told Clare's is a friendly college too and good craic? I know the wealthiest colleges also correlate a lot of the time with being on the less friendly side, but I was wondering do you know if there are any particularly good colleges (that are still nice and not stuck up to put it bluntly) that would provide financial support? Since I' from NI I would have to travel to and from, and I am concerned about the price of everything including flights stacking up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending