The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Maths C2 May 20th 2015

Scroll to see replies

I'm just pissed because I feel like I know/knew how to do a lot of the things I didn't do but I was on tilt or something :biggrin:.
Original post by manjot97
Im resitting C1 C2 and M1. Yes C1 was a difficult paper but that was only because it was new, it threw everyone off guard. Last year's C2 exam was horrible, so hopefully, with luck it will be nicer this time. However i have a feeling that with all these complaints going to WJEC telling them that their maths exams were too easy pre 2013, you should prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Other than that, good luck :smile:

People were complaining they were too easy? Where did you hear that from?
Original post by ExiledJack
People were complaining they were too easy? Where did you hear that from?

Well to be honest, WJEC C1 and C2 have been far too easy in previous years. That's why they stepped it up this year (and to a lesser extent last year).
Original post by PrimeLime
Well to be honest, WJEC C1 and C2 have been far too easy in previous years. That's why they stepped it up this year (and to a lesser extent last year).

'Stepping it up' though isn't a good thing, it then becomes a birthday lottery. Somebody with more intelligence sitting a paper this year could have a worse grade than somebody with less intelligence 4 years ago., just because they want 'to step it up'. Halving the amount of sittings does not help either.
Original post by ExiledJack
'Stepping it up' though isn't a good thing, it then becomes a birthday lottery. Somebody with more intelligence sitting a paper this year could have a worse grade than somebody with less intelligence 4 years ago., just because they want 'to step it up'. Halving the amount of sittings does not help either.

Actually, grade boundaries play a part and people still tend to get the grade they deserve. I'm not advocating a sudden increase in difficulty in the exams - in fact, I think the way forward is to teach the course in such a way that students understand what they are doing rather than learning everything mechanically. I hear so much rubbish about people having so many proofs to "learn" and so many "equations/formulae to remember". There's no point in making the exams test their understanding more if they don't have any understanding in the first place...
Nevertheless, we do need to make it so that top grades can't be achieved by just rote memorisation of methods.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PrimeLime
Actually, grade boundaries play a part and people still tend to get the grade they deserve. I'm not advocating a sudden increase in difficulty in the exams - in fact, I think the way forward is to teach the course in such a way that students understand what they are doing rather than learning everything mechanically. I hear so much rubbish about people having so many proofs to "learn" and so many "equations/formulae to remember". There's no point in making the exams test their understanding more if they don't have any understanding in the first place...
Nevertheless, we do need to make it so that top grades can't be achieved by just rote memorisation of methods.

Top grades in maths are achieved by doing past papers and teaching yourself how to answer every question on every past paper if you get it wrong. Take this years C2 for example, the arithmetic first principles question and the first part of the geometric question, hard? Maybe for some people, but they were both on the january 2013 paper, so if they didnt do the paper, is it their fault or the WJEC?
Reply 166
Original post by VeepFan
i had that thetar^2/2 = 1.3r^2, then area of the triangle = sin2.6 r^2so the smaller flowerbed was 1.04...r^2
Then the area of circle = pi r^2 ,take away the smaller flowerbed, (1.04...r^2) = 2.09...r^2

and then just stated that 2.09... (larger flowerbed) is roughly twice 1.04... (smaller flowerbed) :smile:

I managed to get 1. somethingxr^ for red flower bed and 2.somethingxr^ but then I gave my answers as an integer: 2r^=2(r^). Is this giving answers as an inegers going to bite my ass off now?
Original post by Garrus
I managed to get 1. somethingxr^ for red flower bed and 2.somethingxr^ but then I gave my answers as an integer: 2r^=2(r^). Is this giving answers as an inegers going to bite my ass off now?

really not sure about that? if you stated that the integer of white flowers = integer of white then you're still proving the fact so, i think it should be fine.
Boundaries are up, it's 55 for an A and 69 for 100 UMS
What did everyone get?
C1 - a
c2 - a
m1 - a

:smile:
C1-a
c2-a
m1-a

:smile::smile:
Well done guys that's brilliant! Same here,

C1 - A
C2 - A
S1 - A
Wow how did people get A's in C1 I thought that paper was atrocious but well done guys
Original post by jessyxmarie
Wow how did people get A's in C1 I thought that paper was atrocious but well done guys

What did you get?

Tbh I literally came out in tears from that exam, I went home telling my family how bad C1 went and it put me off my other exams so much. But i put in enough workings to show the examiner what I was thinking which I assume is the only reason I got an A tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
What did you get?

Tbh I literally came out in tears from that exam, I went home telling my family how bad C1 went and it put me off my other exams so much. But i put in enough workings to show the examiner what I was thinking which I assume is the only reason I got an A tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a C and just missed a B by 1 mark and I had a B in c2 and an A in s1
Can't believe I managed an A in this paper, seemed really difficult to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending