The Student Room Group

At what age should one stop using TSR?

I'm 21 now, about to finish uni. So won't be a "student" anymore.

I could see myself still on here until I get a graduate job and am settled in it. But I'm not sure if its normal fro someone over 21 to still be on here? Are there others who still use TSR despite having finished education?

Been thinking I should just leave after exams? :dontknow:
Original post by cake_lover

I could see myself still on here until I get a graduate job and am settled in it. But I'm not sure if its normal fro someone over 21 to still be on here? Are there others who still use TSR despite having finished education?

Stay for as long as you enjoy it.

Plenty of active users here that are older and not even in education, it doesn't matter :h:
You'd still have opinions on many of the threads that aren't directly related to studying... And could give advice on those that are specifically related to studying.

Stay as long as you enjoy it. You might find once you're no longer in education you lose interest in tsr.
Leave TSR? Never!

Reply 4
Original post by ifyouseelaura
You'd still have opinions on many of the threads that aren't directly related to studying... And could give advice on those that are specifically related to studying.

Stay as long as you enjoy it. You might find once you're no longer in education you lose interest in tsr.

That's a good point. I wont lie, I rarely even used TSR for educational purposes. :tongue:
Reply 5
Leave whenever you're good and ready. It's a shame people seem to think of here as a place where little adolescent punks that just discovered sex discuss it day and night or spam out of boredom during school holidays. And it doesn't surprise me with the amount of theads that I feel can often suggest this. However and I mean academic help aside, I have seen some very good discussions in the past on politics, economics, philosophy and current affairs. It's a shame they're always disproportionate to the amount of juvenile bickering using it like a school playground. There must be a way to encourage more mature people to use tsr, purely for such enlightening discussions, if they want.
Original post by Te346
Leave whenever you're good and ready. It's a shame people seem to think of here as a place where little adolescent punks that just discovered sex discuss it day and night or spam out of boredom during school holidays. And it doesn't surprise me with the amount of theads that I feel can often suggest this. However and I mean academic help aside, I have seen some very good discussions in the past on politics, economics, philosophy and current affairs. It's a shame they're always disproportionate to the amount of juvenile bickering using it like a school playground. There must be a way to encourage more mature people to use tsr, purely for such enlightening discussions, if they want.

This.

I'm older than you OP and not currently in education. If older people with some maturity and perspective didn't use this site, some of the threads on here would be a joke. I think it's helpful to have a balance of people and although it's called 'The Student Room' a lot of the forums are unrelated to study/academia. Even on the forums homepage, you have to scroll down to the fifth forum before anything related to studying ('Study Help') is mentioned: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forum.php#navforums
Reply 7

Do a postgraduate and remain a student forever.
Reply 8
Should? Age 0.

Will? When it shuts down.
Reply 9
If all the oldies left there wouldn't be anyone around to offer advice based upon experience of jobs, finances, pensions, legal and a whole tonne of other issues I see threads about every day.
Reply 10
Original post by somethingbeautiful
This.

I'm older than you OP and not currently in education. If older people with some maturity and perspective didn't use this site, some of the threads on here would be a joke. I think it's helpful to have a balance of people and although it's called 'The Student Room' a lot of the forums are unrelated to study/academia. Even on the forums homepage, you have to scroll down to the fifth forum before anything related to studying ('Study Help':wink: is mentioned: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forum.php#navforums

There must be a way to imrpove awareness of TSR to attract more mature people (thinking intellectually here, rather than strictly numerical or academic) to use TSR. It will help to make the site look more prestigious because as you say, a few of them make it look like a joke.
Original post by Te346
There must be a way to imrpove awareness of TSR to attract more mature people (thinking intellectually here, rather than strictly numerical or academic) to use TSR. It will help to make the site look more prestigious because as you say, a few of them make it look like a joke.

I think it would be better to retain users than try to just generally attract older people since if you retain users such as myself then they can offer advice regarding relevant subjects e.g I've been through school/college/university and work and I've been posting here throughout all of that. Whereas if you just try to attract older people you could attract people who don't have that experience with which to offer relevant advice and the quality of the site could suffer.

So I really think TSR ought to look into trying to retain users post university and encouraging them to continue to participate. I think the name 'The Student Room' doesn't help with that retention of users (as this thread suggests) because people finish uni and then think ''I'm not a student anymore, I should probably leave the Student Room'.

Not that I'm suggesting renaming the site but maybe if they created a new forum such as 'Workers Room' or 'Graduate Room' with a bunch of sub forums and incentives/rewards for offering advice and guidance on the rest of the site for younger/less experienced people. I think this site really benefits from it's older users and it really wouldn't be what it is without them since they offer advice based on experience to younger people who may not otherwise be able to speak to graduates/people in professions - TSR really ought to be doing more to retain those older users but at present I see no incentives/encouragement.
Reply 12
Don't leave unless it starts taking over your life...
Reply 13

I Wouldn't set a date when you should leave, if you do stop using let it be natural.
I seriously see myself being on TSR the day I die in an old people's home.
If you still enjoy it or have a use for it then you'll stay. I'm 24 and left uni two years ago but I still dabble a little, though I'm not on herr anywhere near as much as I used to be a few years ago.
One shouldn't feel obliged to leave at any age imo providing they have good intentions.

I noticed there are a lot of older people on here who can give advice to students about their own experiences.

If it was just all students it would be fun but generally speaking with age comes experience so its nice to have older people on here who can advise, guide and generally know what they are talking about as they are speaking from experience.

Quick Reply

Latest