The Student Room Group

relationship advice.. (18 year old and 24)

I don't usually ask people questions like this but I guess I want to to see how different people see the situation...

CONTEXT:I met my boyfriend over a year ago and it was an immediate connection. He was off-ish at first because of the age gap but we couldn't ignore the feelings between us. Fast forward to today, he is possibly the only person that I genuinely feel close to and whom I can trust. He has never shown any red flags and makes me feel so loved and actually wanted (seems stupid but I've never had that before, he the only person I feel safe around and as though I belong) I talk to him about everything even the littlest of things and as its long distance we are on the phone all the time and watch movies together etc.. I also have a really close relationship with his mom and family. But I recently opened up to my friends about my relationship and now they constantly make jokes about the age difference and call him a groomer.. But the thing is he didn't groom me in anyway shape or form. one of my friends said that when they heard about my relationship be became 'concerned for my safety' because of the age gap when I have never had an issue with it... I am currently 17 years old but will be turning 18 in a few months, he has just turned 24 this year... is it wrong? what is everything view on this, is it bad that I fell in love with him? and if not how do I get people to see that everything is consensual and no grooming is involved?
Any advise or input would be appreciated
Original post by Anonymous
I don't usually ask people questions like this but I guess I want to to see how different people see the situation...

CONTEXT:I met my boyfriend over a year ago and it was an immediate connection. He was off-ish at first because of the age gap but we couldn't ignore the feelings between us. Fast forward to today, he is possibly the only person that I genuinely feel close to and whom I can trust. He has never shown any red flags and makes me feel so loved and actually wanted (seems stupid but I've never had that before, he the only person I feel safe around and as though I belong) I talk to him about everything even the littlest of things and as its long distance we are on the phone all the time and watch movies together etc.. I also have a really close relationship with his mom and family. But I recently opened up to my friends about my relationship and now they constantly make jokes about the age difference and call him a groomer.. But the thing is he didn't groom me in anyway shape or form. one of my friends said that when they heard about my relationship be became 'concerned for my safety' because of the age gap when I have never had an issue with it... I am currently 17 years old but will be turning 18 in a few months, he has just turned 24 this year... is it wrong? what is everything view on this, is it bad that I fell in love with him? and if not how do I get people to see that everything is consensual and no grooming is involved?

Too wide apart 6 years apart 1 year maybe yeah I understand maybe two then obviously you turn 18 but 6 is just a no no and red flag
Reply 2
If celebrities can have 10+ age gaps and no one cares, then go for it.
If you're both happy in a relationship, live your lives how you want to.
Don't give a fk about anyone else's views on your relationship, as they are either: jealous because it's not them, or nervous because it's you and they want to be a good friend.
Original post by Anonymous

F*ck society and what people say. At the end of the day, who’s with the boyfriend. You, or the people/ society? You are both over the age of consent Therefore, if you love each other, no one else’s opinions should matter.

People need to stop giving a sh*t about what society says, and all the brainwashing of this is wrong, that is wrong. We are individual people and should do what is in our hearts and mind, providing it’s legal by UK law standards.

I apologise if I sound harsh, but it annoys me that people have to be bullied into making life choices based on what society thinks. If you don’t live for yourself, but for others, you will never be truly happy.

Have a lovely day to you and your boyfriend.
Reply 4
Sometimes it's not about the age gap so much as the age of the youngest partner in the relationship. In this case, I don't see a problem, especially as your boyfriend clearly thought about it at the start, too, and good for him.

As for these so-called 'friends', ignore the comments or ask them directly why they are saying these things. Point out that there can be issues in relationships with a 1 year age gap. I agree with the above that there might be some jealousy involved, because you have a boyfriend or because he's old enough to be earning and buying you things.

Being in an LDR myself, how are you coping with that aspect of the relationship? I know you didn't raise it as a concern, but I do hope you are able to meet up regularly; it's tough sometimes when it's a lot of messaging and calls. All the best.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Sus af
Original post by Anonymous #1

Oooh no I’m sorry , im sure he a great nice man and I can’t tell you what to do or anything but your friends concern about the relationship is completely valid . A 24/23 year old should not be dating somebody who is was 16-17 when they first met . Yikes . If I was your friend I wouldn’t be able to support it fully . Maybe the best course of action is to not inform your friends about your relationship and just keep it to yourself . As long as your safe and not being exploited keep this thing to yourself :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending