The Student Room Group

Warwick VS Bath for Mathematics

Hello, recently (last week) I firmed Warwick and put my Insurance as Bath for maths, but basically I'm torn between the two and can't find a good reason to choose one over the other!

Some stuff:
I'm on a gap year, finished a levels last year.
STEP grades: 1,1 in I,II.
A-levels: A*A*C (C in Chemistry)
Competitions: Bronze medal in BMO1 and an okay score on BMO2.

Both offers are conditional:
I won't disclose everything about them but I basically have to get an A in chemistry to get into Warwick and a B to get into Bath.

The grades are not an issue, I have already entered for the exams to boost up my grade. However the problem is that I've already firmed Warwick, so if I want to go to bath I'll have to fail two of the exams on purpose (by e.g. not turning up) because I only need 4 ums more overall to get the B which I can easily do by resitting one of the papers I got a C in last year (didn't revise for chemistry at all last year, hated it).

Here's the deal.

Bath: The campus is beautiful, completely matches my taste. Excellent sports facilities -- I do swimming and am generally a sporty person so these are very appealing. Also it won the highest student satisfaction rate this year which is an added bonus. Very good university academically but I believe less so than Warwick.

Warwick: Didn't like the campus too much, can't exactly say why but it was just much "duller" compared to Bath. Campus is basically in the middle of nowhere. Rated higher than bath for maths and in general is deemed on par with imperial, if not oxbridge, for maths. World class researchers teach there (e.g. fields medal winner last year).

Those are just a few of the points I can think of at the moment, but in general I'm finding Bath must more attractive and given the low offer it's really tempting to just sit that one exam and get my B in chem. Again, I won't base my decision on the offer, so I'm looking for convincing points for why I should pic one over the other.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From the points you have mentioned it sounds as if you really want to go to bath but only firmed Warwick because of the better reputation. You could try purposely doing worse but Warwick still may accept you even if you do get slightly worse, however it is unlikely given the popularity of the uni and course. You could call Warwick up and ask them to release you to Bath. This way you wouldn't have to do purposely worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by johnperp
Hello, recently (last week) I firmed Warwick and put my Insurance as Bath for maths, but basically I'm torn between the two and can't find a good reason to choose one over the other!

Some stuff:
I'm on a gap year, finished a levels last year.
STEP grades: 1,1 in I,II.
A-levels: A*A*C (C in Chemistry)
Competitions: Bronze medal in BMO1 and an okay score on BMO2.

Both offers are conditional:
I won't disclose everything about them but I basically have to get an A in chemistry to get into Warwick and a B to get into Bath.

The grades are not an issue, I have already entered for the exams to boost up my grade. However the problem is that I've already firmed Warwick, so if I want to go to bath I'll have to fail two of the exams on purpose (by e.g. not turning up) because I only need 4 ums more overall to get the B which I can easily do by resitting one of the papers I got a C in last year (didn't revise for chemistry at all last year, hated it).

Here's the deal.

Bath: The campus is beautiful, completely matches my taste. Excellent sports facilities -- I do swimming and am generally a sporty person so these are very appealing. Also it won the highest student satisfaction rate this year which is an added bonus. Very good university academically but I believe less so than Warwick.

Warwick: Didn't like the campus too much, can't exactly say why but it was just much "duller" compared to Bath. Campus is basically in the middle of nowhere. Rated higher than bath for maths and in general is deemed on par with imperial, if not oxbridge, for maths. World class researchers teach there (e.g. fields medal winner last year).

Those are just a few of the points I can think of at the moment, but in general I'm finding Bath must more attractive and given the low offer it's really tempting to just sit that one exam and get my B in chem. Again, I won't base my decision on the offer, so I'm looking for convincing points for why I should pic one over the other.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Take another gap year and go to UCL or IMPERIAL
Original post by TeeEm

Now I'm 95% sure you're kidding; however, do you think Imperial is better than Warwick? If so, is it worth living in London (when you don't want to)?
I think if it was in the last 7 days you can still swap your firm and insurance around??
Reply 5
Original post by gagafacea1
Now I'm 95% sure you're kidding; however, do you think Imperial is better than Warwick? If so, is it worth living in London (when you don't want to)?

I am not joking ...
maybe I am biased but for me there are only 4 universities

Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and UCL!
Original post by TeeEm
I am not joking ...

Really? UCL? Since when? I am not trying to say it's a bad uni, but for maths I always hear, to quote CancerousProblem, Camperial, Oxford, Warwick, and maybe Bath.
Plus how are you NOT joking? Do you actually want him to take a gap year just to go to Imperial instead of Warwick?
Reply 7
Really? UCL? Since when? I am not trying to say it's a bad uni, but for maths I always hear, to quote CancerousProblem, Camperial, Oxford, Warwick, and maybe Bath.

Here is my analogy.
I am too old to know the pecking order when it comes to "fashion brands", but
let us say, for the sake of the argument, that Gucci is one of the "top brands" when it comes to clothes.
Let us also suppose that Versace is a "middle brand".

Now suppose that Gucci's quality is slightly inferior (or even inferior) to Versace.

Do you pick Gucci or Versace?

Well I pick Gucci.

Look at these institution as brands
Bath?
I laugh...
In a recent survey amongst academics in the US, a significant percentage did not even know in what country Warwick was.
For LSE someone was quoted saying: "Is that a college in London?"

Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion.
Mine might be different to yours, and both our opinions might be laughed at by someone else.
It is all good.

Plus how are you NOT joking? Do you actually want him to take a gap year just to go to Imperial instead of Warwick?

It was an alternative thought...
Original post by TeeEm

Ha LOL

lets put it straight-

Warwick 4th, UCL- 8th
Reply 9
Original post by demigawdz
Ha LOL

lets put it straight-

Warwick 4th, UCL- 8th

ta ta
Original post by TeeEm
ta ta

Can't handle the truth bro
Reply 11
I am not a bro!
Original post by TeeEm

Warwick is far better for maths than UCL, lol. It's on par with Imperial for maths, too.
Reply 13
even if you paid me I would not go to warwick...
Original post by TeeEm
even if you paid me I would not go to warwick...

What do you not like about Warwick?

Just curious, my friends thinking of applying there for maths.
Reply 15
Original post by Brubeckian
What do you not like about Warwick?

Just curious, my friends thinking of applying there for maths.

when I was doing my PhD I was unfortunate to be sharing office space with another 4 students from Warwick. (Warwick is non existent for physically applied maths; just pure, stats, more pure and more stats ...)
well all 4 were "R-soles".
I know this was a small sample but I have formed an opinion about the type of student who goes to Warwick.

My opinion for the institution has not changed much ...
I see them as Cambridge "wannabbies"
Across all departments you only need to look at UCL and Warwick Internationally
(read also post 8)
(edited 8 years ago)
well I live in Coventry and Warwick university has had a lot of improvement in the last. few months, new student access as well I believe, but don't take my word completely I don't do anything there but the occasional science trip

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wrk- 4th , ucl-8th end of...
It's absolutely pointless arguing based on league tables.
Original post by TeeEm
I am not joking ...

I loved Warwick, thought the campus was amazing so I turned down UCL and Imperial for Warwick firm and Bath insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest