The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths => Engineering

I currently have Mathematics BSc at Warwick as my firm, but i wish to study engineering instead. Does any current students (or anyone) know if it is possible to switch courses? Does the engineering department usually have spaces for their first year engineering courses?

I have emailed the engineering department, but I doubt I'd get any reply soon as my placed is still conditional.

Thanks in advance :smile:
hey, warwick is also my firm and i was able to switch courses. I emailed warwick admissions with my details and why I wanted to change courses, they took around 1-2 weeks to respond but they allowed me to switch. Engineering will be far more popular than the course I changed to so that may affect whether they allow you too. But if the entry requirements are similar then they should definitely reply. students also change courses once they have started in September so i wouldn't worry!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
hey, warwick is also my firm and i was able to switch courses. I emailed warwick admissions with my details and why I wanted to change courses, they took around 1-2 weeks to respond but they allowed me to switch. Engineering will be far more popular than the course I changed to so that may affect whether they allow you too. But if the entry requirements are similar then they should definitely reply. students also change courses once they have started in September so i wouldn't worry!

Thank you so much!
Reply 3
Original post by baddecisions
I currently have Mathematics BSc at Warwick as my firm, but i wish to study engineering instead. Does any current students (or anyone) know if it is possible to switch courses? Does the engineering department usually have spaces for their first year engineering courses?

I have emailed the engineering department, but I doubt I'd get any reply soon as my placed is still conditional.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Warwick isn't known for Engineering ... maybe look in clearing
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Warwick isn't known for Engineering ... maybe look in clearing

It seems like currently Edinburgh, Southampton, Leeds, Birmingham, Bath and Birmingham all have engineering courses through clearing, but wouldn't the reputation of these courses and warwick be virtually the same internationally (except Edinburgh maybe)? What do you think?
Reply 5
What do you mean by 'internationally'? Are you an overseas student? That might make a big difference.
Reply 6
It seems like currently Edinburgh, Southampton, Leeds, Birmingham, Bath and Birmingham all have engineering courses through clearing, but wouldn't the reputation of these courses and warwick be virtually the same internationally (except Edinburgh maybe)? What do you think?

No, Bath and Southampton are better - ditto Brookes.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
What do you mean by 'internationally'? Are you an overseas student? That might make a big difference.

Oh yes, I somehow forgot to mention it here.
Reply 8
No, Bath and Southampton are better - ditto Brookes.

So you would say a chance at Southampton/Bath is worth risking both warwick and southampton/bath? I can't take a gap year btw.
So you would say a chance at Southampton/Bath is worth risking both warwick and southampton/bath? I can't take a gap year btw.

I would suggest trying to change course at Warwick. Warwick has a better overall rep than Bath/Southampton.
Original post by Wired_1800
I would suggest trying to change course at Warwick. Warwick has a better overall rep than Bath/Southampton.

Not for Engineering

Phone them and ask if they would offer a place.
You believe those tables?!

I dont :frown:
Reply 15
Phone them and ask if they would offer a place.

I have talked to them "Please do get back to us when you have received your A level results". I guess the plan is to wait for results day and if enough better courses are available then I'd decline warwick and call them up, if not I would need to go with it.Thanks for all the help everyone.
If they have no places available this year they will probably you offer you a place for next year. At this point you would probably want to just reapply with choices finer-tuned to engineering.

Engineering at Warwick seemed decent (as in, I doubt it's a complete career-killer or anything) but I have no idea how it places in the grand scheme of things, never got the impression it was particularly exceptional. I would imagine since you were targeting Warwick for maths that you should target the top for engineering too.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest