The Student Room Group

Likelihood of getting an offer from UCL for BSc Economics?

I have applied to Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bath. I have been given an offer from Bath, been rejected by Oxford and Warwick and LSE is unlikely. I have predicted grades of A star, A star, A in Mathematics, Computer Science and Chemistry respectively. Additionally, I took an EPQ last year to enhance my application, achieving a grade A (it goes up to A star). Also, I have taken AS Further Mathematics, covering Core Pure 1, Further Statistics 1 and Further Statistics 2 modules. I have achieved GCSEs of 10 grade 9s (highest) and 1 grade 8 (second highest). My personal statement was deemed strong by students at UCL and other top unis, but it lacks the quantative aspect of Economics. Given this information, do i stand a good chance of getting into UCL for Bsc Economics?
wow! Outstanding grades. Assuming your personal statement is strong then you should get an offer from UCL
Original post by mike23mike
wow! Outstanding grades. Assuming your personal statement is strong then you should get an offer from UCL

Thanks ! Hope you're application is going well! I've had a look at the admissions statistics and only 8% of people who applied with my predicted grades got in last year, whereas 91% of those who applied with 3A* got in.
You have very good stats but If your Personal Statement isn't up to par due to lacking the quantative aspects of Econ then It could be grounds for rejection. Econ at UCL is really competitive and due to the fact that they don't have interviews/entrance exams, in addition to a lot of applicants having similar stats to you - there's really no guantee. You also not taking Economics for A level could also disadvantage you. Even though its not a requirement, a majority of people who get offers study Econ at A Level. How comes you got rejected from Oxford/Warwick? I would say you stand a chance but I personally think that you should have did the full FM A Level and got an A* prediction because that would have definitely improved your chances.
Original post by gettikzintests
Thanks ! Hope you're application is going well! I've had a look at the admissions statistics and only 8% of people who applied with my predicted grades got in last year, whereas 91% of those who applied with 3A* got in.

Welp, that doesn't sound reassuring.
Original post by JustAnotherFloop
You have very good stats but If your Personal Statement isn't up to par due to lacking the quantative aspects of Econ then It could be grounds for rejection. Econ at UCL is really competitive and due to the fact that they don't have interviews/entrance exams, in addition to a lot of applicants having similar stats to you - there's really no guantee. You also not taking Economics for A level could also disadvantage you. Even though its not a requirement, a majority of people who get offers study Econ at A Level. How comes you got rejected from Oxford/Warwick? I would say you stand a chance but I personally think that you should have did the full FM A Level and got an A* prediction because that would have definitely improved your chances.

Honestly I wish I could go back and change all my options, I think Chemistry prediction ruined my application. Oxford was post interview and Warwick said my overall academic profile was not as strong as other candidates, not sure what that means. Hopefully I get UCL otherwise I'm going to have do a gap year because I don't want to go to Bath and I really don't want to do a gap year.

Btw my reference has maths in it like competitions extra maths reading etc. Will that help?
Btw my reference has maths in it like competitions extra maths reading etc. Will that help?

Btw this is my second account so it's the same guy
Honestly I wish I could go back and change all my options, I think Chemistry prediction ruined my application. Oxford was post interview and Warwick said my overall academic profile was not as strong as other candidates, not sure what that means. Hopefully I get UCL otherwise I'm going to have do a gap year because I don't want to go to Bath and I really don't want to do a gap year.

I would start getting worried if Warwick found your overall academic profile an issue if I am being honest. I think the only issue Warwick could have based on your post is your subject combination and the fact you only did AS FM (No idea what grade you got but if it was lower than an A then that's definitely part of the reason for rejection). I don't think the fact you got an A in Chemistry alone would be the reason for rejection, It's just that a lot of candidates are applying with 4 or 3A*s with better subject combinations which puts them in a better position. Stuff like competitions definitely helps but it's more about academics (Like concepts) and analysis in what you read along with your opinion and how that bit of research influenced you to doing further research in something else - which should all be in your PS. You simply stating you did an essay competition won't do much unless you can elaborate on what you actually did.
I would start getting worried if Warwick found your overall academic profile an issue if I am being honest. I think the only issue Warwick could have based on your post is your subject combination and the fact you only did AS FM (No idea what grade you got but if it was lower than an A then that's definitely part of the reason for rejection). I don't think the fact you got an A in Chemistry alone would be the reason for rejection, It's just that a lot of candidates are applying with 4 or 3A*s with better subject combinations which puts them in a better position. Stuff like competitions definitely helps but it's more about academics (Like concepts) and analysis in what you read along with your opinion and how that bit of research influenced you to doing further research in something else - which should all be in your PS. You simply stating you did an essay competition won't do much unless you can elaborate on what you actually did.

So I'm doing AS FM this year so I don't have an achieved grade for it. In terms of the reference thing, my teacher told me they did talk about mathematical concepts in my reference so hopefully that's ok. My personal statement has lots of macro type concepts and a wide range of further reading, what I learnt, essay comps and how they were useful work exp and what I learnt etc.

Given what I just told you, i think it's got to be the subject comb if the a*a*a wasn't a problem because everything else you've said I think I have
Given what I just told you, i think it's got to be the subject comb if the a*a*a wasn't a problem because everything else you've said I think I have

I'm pretty sure you got rejected because you had no predictions for FM (Hence the not strong enough academic profile issue).Yes, you are doing AS in year 13 but the courses that you are applying to have a very strong emphasis on mathematics and a majority of applicants getting offers have either done AS FM in year 12 and got a grade or have A/A* predictions (With Oxford as an Exception as it's not straight Econ). Because of this, I don't think it is likely you will get an offer at UCL either. If you really don't want to go Bath, your only choices are UCAS Extra, Clearing or Gap Year. Why don't you want to go Bath?
Go with Bath - its got one of the best placement programs in the UK.
If in any doubt, go to the Applicant Visit Day and look around.
Reply 13
Thanks ! Hope your application is going well! I've had a look at the admissions statistics and only 8% of people who applied with my predicted grades got in last year, whereas 91% of those who applied with 3A* got in.

Do you mind me asking where you got that statistic?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending