The Student Room Group

Second year accommodation in Manchester

Could anyone gibe me a quick run through of how to sort out getting accommodation for next year, particularly -

1) When any deadlines are
2) Some decent area's (fallowfield etc), pro's and cons of each area and where the majority of students go. (We want to stay fairly close to Oxford Road)
3) Links to any decent accommodation websites
4) Expected prices in each area
5) How to go about looking, arranging a viewing etc

Cheers very much!

Scroll to see replies

Ooooh this would be useful for me too :smile:

Good idea!
Reply 2
I can only go by my experience, possibly useful to you.

A group of us decided we wanted to stay near the city centre. You don't really get houses the further towards the city you go so we ended up sharing a flat in a private student halls of residence.

We organised this more or less straight after Christmas, so deffinitely start seriously thinking about it once you get back. Living near the city centre doesn't come that cheap compared to more traditional student areas; it works out at about £80 per week.

I've never experienced any terribly dodgy situations in terms of cime etc. The security is like a prison here, so you feel pretty secure.

We hit the internet when researching. Fonud a few places, and liked this one the best so opted for it.

It seems that basically every other student in Manchester lives in Fallowfield. Pretty cheap down there from what my friends tell me, and a studenty atmosphere. However, heard some stories about a worse crime rate (friend of a friend had to fight off a rapist while out for a jog the other day, for example).

I know someone who lives in Hulme. I wouldn't, to put it bluntly. Her flat was broken into the other day.

Rusholme is okay, kinda like Fallowfield.

Didsbury is a bit posher, but is a bit far out.
Reply 3
Fallowfields your best bet for 2nd year and withington for third year.....fallowfields better for rubbishy drunken nights out whereas withingtons a bit more chilled for your last year...rusholme fine as well but theres not that many students around...

ive lived in fallowfield/withington for 3 years now and never seen any proper crime definately get a house here....living in city centres is good but not as a student..

oh and get looking for houses now (your best bet is homes4u in withington) as a lot of the good ones go really quickly...and the uni approved list comes out in feb i think

prices vary from about 50 - 70 pounds pppw in fallowfield and withington, you can get cheaper in rusholme tho...(some down at about 35 per week)
How about if you got no mates and really don't fancy staying in halls for another year?

Yes, sad but true.
Reply 5
Anyone know the costs of living in Didsbury? Thanx.
Reply 6
ANyone know the cost of living in didsbury? Thanx.

Probably alot. I live there now and nearly everyone i know is moving towards the withington/fallowfield area because it's cheaper, not just for rent but for nights out etc...
Reply 7
discombobulation
How about if you got no mates and really don't fancy staying in halls for another year?

Yes, sad but true.

Move in with me! lol. Have sorted ended up in a similar situation.
~Rogue~
Move in with me! lol. Have sorted ended up in a similar situation.

Awww srsly? How so? You're luffly!
discombobulation

Yes, sad but true.

You're not the only one - but I'm gonna have to go back into halls, not much alternative unless u get a random room in a house.
discombobulation

Yes, sad but true.

I'm in near the same situation too :frown:, but i'm moving out of my Halls in Bolton because travelling to Manchester in rush hour everyday is hell and expensive! Is there any websites or places to go for information?

I don't wanna be living with any scruffs this year lol I'm not fussy lol. Living with people who can at least clean a kitchen just a little would be nice :biggrin:
Reply 11
just_tha_bboy
I'm in near the same situation too :frown:, but i'm moving out of my Halls in Bolton because travelling to Manchester in rush hour everyday is hell and expensive! Is there any websites or places to go for information?

I don't wanna be living with any scruffs this year lol I'm not fussy lol. Living with people who can at least clean a kitchen just a little would be nice :biggrin:

Well me and my friend are looking for housemates so drop me a PM and a piccy of yourself
just_tha_bboy

Bloody ell I wouldn't be wantin to come in from Bolton! Why the 'ell you livin out there?!

I've been using:
www.accommodationforstudents.com
www.flatmateclick.co.uk
They're pretty good like, had a few offers etc :smile:
choca_holick
You're not the only one - but I'm gonna have to go back into halls, not much alternative unless u get a random room in a house.

I think I'd rather live with randomers than in halls wi first yrs bein all excited and urgh :p: - I'd rather be all excited in a house with some reasonably ok peoples!
discombobulation
Bloody ell I wouldn't be wantin to come in from Bolton! Why the 'ell you livin out there?!

I've been using:
www.accommodationforstudents.com
www.flatmateclick.co.uk
They're pretty good like, had a few offers etc :smile:

The course is run by the university of Bolton. It takes place @ The School of Sound Recording nr Piccadilly Stn. Living in Bolton was a last resort, but at least i'm living with ok people :frown:

£4.60 return on train before 9.30 is a rip off! Can't even use my railcard before 10am:mad:
ManchesterStudentHomes just came online. I am looking for a 1 bed self contained place (anywhere) since I am fed up of people not keeping places clean and few people get on with me for long periods of time...lol. Also being a 4th year I am old and grumpy.

However, only 7 adverts for 1 bed places on student homes have appeared, wow...looks like I will be back to other sources then!
pghstochaj
ManchesterStudentHomes just came online. I am looking for a 1 bed self contained place (anywhere) since I am fed up of people not keeping places clean and few people get on with me for long periods of time...lol. Also being a 4th year I am old and grumpy.

However, only 7 adverts for 1 bed places on student homes have appeared, wow...looks like I will be back to other sources then!

I'd love to be able to afford a 1 bed place!!!
Well it is my 4th year so I am old, wise and boring :wink: I also have a car and can cycle places thus distance isn't so much an issue. So now I sound spoilt? Not at all, but my 3rd year is a placement and I currently live at home for £100/month so it should be ok to afford.

If you find one person you like you could find a 2 bed flat very reasonably and without the costs involved of a one bed place. In hindsight, it would probably have been my preference but a bit late now.

I don't want to live with mates since I don't get along well with all of them and I saw how much they hated spending 24/7 with each other last year. So friends is not a choice, and randomners tend to be a bit "too" random in my experience. I also like things to be tidy and that doesn't tend to follow the typical student lifestyle.

Yet to find anything that suits though :frown:
Reply 18
pghstochaj

Try New Medlock House. Im living there now (also in 4th year) and Ive got my own studio flat. We do have a shared kitchen in the corridor Im in, but in our rooms we've got a small one, which has got cupboards, fridge, sink and microwave. I bought a steamer and a grill thing so I dont even use the shared kitchen. Ive got my own bathroom, bedroom and living area. The Student Village also has studio flats which cost more but you have your own proper kitchen with cooker.

As for 2nd year accomodation, try Unite accomodation, or Victoria Halls if you want to stay closer to the Oxford road/city area. They all have ensuites. They are safer than living in a house, and they do cost more but you dont need to spend any money on the bus.
I stayed in MSV (near MMU, I think they have two now) 05-06, I can't think of anything worse :wink: Only good thing is how close it is to UMIST campus...

New Medlock looks good for many reasons but it is very expensive for what you get in my opinion [the studios are £110/week right?] I know you're paying for how modern it all is, the security, around other people etc. etc. but I don't feel it's for me. I did email unite for details this morning funnily enough, so will see what they say.

I have a few places in mind now at least, just got to take a day off work to look at them :frown:

Steamers are great for lazy people like me :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending