The Student Room Group

Insurance option for Spanish... UCL, Lancaster, or other??

I'm a second year A Level student currently going through the process of firming and insuring my offers. I got 5/5 offers and have firmed my Oxford offer for modern foreign languages. I applied here, and also to UCL, Lancaster, Liverpool and Manchester.
Now I'm struggling to pick one for my insurance as there are pros and cons to each uni. The main contenders are UCL and Lancaster.
UCL is a high ranking uni, I love the location and the degree, but I have concerns about accommodation and the year abroad in year three, as it was mentioned that there could be problems with both on an offer holder day I attended. The accommodation is not guaranteed for me and could be very expensive and the year abroad may not be possible.
With Lancaster, they rank really well for student satisfaction and for MFL, the location isn't as far which could be convenient and I really like the campus and uni overall.
Plz let me know if you think I should be seriously considering Liverpool and Manchester - I was avoiding Manchester due to its ongoing problems with accommodation.
The catch is, Lancaster goes through clearing whereas UCL doesn't. I don't know if I should firm UCL as I wouldn't get another opportunity to go there like I would with Lancaster and the rest of my unis.
Sorry for long-winded post, plz share opinions:smile:)
Original post by amy_alevels
I'm a second year A Level student currently going through the process of firming and insuring my offers. I got 5/5 offers and have firmed my Oxford offer for modern foreign languages. I applied here, and also to UCL, Lancaster, Liverpool and Manchester.
Now I'm struggling to pick one for my insurance as there are pros and cons to each uni. The main contenders are UCL and Lancaster.
UCL is a high ranking uni, I love the location and the degree, but I have concerns about accommodation and the year abroad in year three, as it was mentioned that there could be problems with both on an offer holder day I attended. The accommodation is not guaranteed for me and could be very expensive and the year abroad may not be possible.
With Lancaster, they rank really well for student satisfaction and for MFL, the location isn't as far which could be convenient and I really like the campus and uni overall.
Plz let me know if you think I should be seriously considering Liverpool and Manchester - I was avoiding Manchester due to its ongoing problems with accommodation.
The catch is, Lancaster goes through clearing whereas UCL doesn't. I don't know if I should firm UCL as I wouldn't get another opportunity to go there like I would with Lancaster and the rest of my unis.

go for ucl and if it doesnt work out then lancaster has clearing like you said. just make sure to get in touch prior to clearing opening and asking if you dont get a place from ur firm/insurance if they would give u a place (im in the same boat i firmed 2 unis, one which is manchester but i would be staying at home so i dont have the same accom issue like you would, with the same offer requirement and liverpool offered me wayyy less so i asked and they said they always have spaces for architecture and if anything happens im free to phone them up on results day and they'll help me out)
Reply 2

Lancaster - UCL offer sounds risky with accommodation and no guaranteed year abroad

I would for Lancaster as London is really expensive and if you dont have guaranteed accommodation where will you find some. You wont be able to book until you get your results so for practical reasons I would choose Lancaster. By the time you look around for accommodation clearing places may have filled up in Lancaster.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending